• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

Thanks, wh...I must have missed some earlier posts because the name didn't ring a bell with me...school, etc

wh

I noticed Moussa Gueye and 2 other guys going into Galactic Greg's this morning.  Unbelievable how big he is - VERY muscular and developed in a tank top and shorts. Every bit of 7 foot and 255, as advertised. I can't imagine anyone in the HL matching up with him physically.  I'm ready for some VU basketball!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on June 29, 2013, 02:04:11 PMGalactic Greg's
...the comic book place???!?

...then again, if you already look like a superhero yourself...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Now that the last scholar Ship has sailed off to eVictory (in the Nick of time, son), you might be interested to know that one Brian Green Jr decided to come down here to SWFL and suit up for Dunk City:

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2013/jul/19/mens-basketball-fgcu-lands-auburn-transfer-brian/

Hey, it worked kind of for Betsy Adams.

Still not planning on going to see them.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Jared Drew, the other star who was recruited to St. Louis in 2012 along with Keith Carter by Rick Majerus (who saw them as a dynamic pair), and who redshirted a year, but was released from his scholarship in mid-May by new coach Crews, has surprisingly decided to move to junior college at Lake Land Community College despite some reported offers by D1 schools, though he'd probably have to sit out a year at those places anyway.

He made his announcement the day after Nickerson filled this year's last scholarship at Valpo. Lake Land CC is the same place Moussa Gueye had attended. I wonder if the pieces could all fit together to allow a possibility Jared Drew would be brought in by Bryce Drew next year to finally play with Carter as Majerus had once hoped would occur.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on July 20, 2013, 09:25:30 PM
Jared Drew, the other star who was recruited to St. Louis in 2012 along with Keith Carter by Rick Majerus (who saw them as a dynamic pair), and who redshirted a year, but was released from his scholarship in mid-May by new coach Crews, has surprisingly decided to move to junior college at Lake Land Community College despite some reported offers by D1 schools, though he'd probably have to sit out a year at those places anyway.

He made his announcement the day after Nickerson filled this year's last scholarship at Valpo. Lake Land CC is the same place Moussa Gueye had attended. I wonder if the pieces could all fit together to allow a possibility Jared Drew would be brought in by Bryce Drew next year to finally play with Carter as Majerus had once hoped would occur.

I think you're right.  This way he gets to play next year, then transfer to a D-1, and still have 3 years of eligibility (assuming he qualifies as a junior academically after a year at Lake Land).  Think Brandon Wood... 

classof2014

I saw Luke Gore giving a recruit a tour of campus today. This kid was close to 7 foot if not taller. No clue who he is. He kinda looks like an Alec Brown type, tall and really thin.

I'm guessing he's from the Midwest since his parents were on the tour as well.

Anybody know who it is? cause people have been saying we need another big and tall guy.

valpopal

Quote from: classof2014 on October 21, 2013, 05:34:40 PM
I saw Luke Gore giving a recruit a tour of campus today. This kid was close to 7 foot if not taller. No clue who he is. He kinda looks like an Alec Brown type, tall and really thin.

I'm guessing he's from the Midwest since his parents were on the tour as well.

Anybody know who it is? cause people have been saying we need another big and tall guy.

Seth Adelsperger, a 6'11" center from Peru, IN, class of 2015. Valpo offered him a scholarship today.

historyman

Quote from: valpopal on October 21, 2013, 10:53:45 PMSeth Adelsperger, a 6'11" center from Peru, IN, class of 2015. Valpo offered him a scholarship today.

Cole Porter - You're The Top

Does anybody know what Cole Porter and Seth have in common?

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on October 22, 2013, 02:06:07 AMDoes anybody know what Cole Porter and Seth have in common?
It shouldn't take an MA in musicology.

Hopefully this doesn't mean Seth is going to Yale too!

(side note:  perfect song choice for him!)

valporun

LAA is right, it shouldn't take an MA in musicology for this one, but this recruit and Cole Porter hail from the same town.

From the website: http://www.coleporter.org/bio.html
Cole Porter Biography written by JX Bell
Cole Porter's name derives from the surnames of his parents, Kate Cole and Sam Porter. Kate's father, James Omar (known as J. O.), was an influential man both in the community and in Cole's early life. J.O. started from humble beginnings as son of a shoemaker, but his business savvy and strong work ethic made him the richest man in Indiana. Despite J.O.'s obsessive drive for making money, he took time off to marry Rachel Henton, who had several children with him.

Kate Cole was born in 1862, and was spoiled during her youth as she was throughout her life. Kate always had the best clothes, the best education, and the best training in dancing and music. Kate's father expected to marry her off to a man with a strong business background, a strong personality, and the potential for a good career. As it is for many filial presumptions and expectations, Kate married someone who was quite the opposite -- a shy druggist from their small town of Peru, Indiana.

The couple married without the full consent of J.O., but he financially supported their wedding and subsidized the couple. As one of the richest men in Indiana, he thought his daughter should be seen doing and wearing the right things without financial fears. These subsidies from J.O. financed the rest of Sam and Kate's life, as well as that of their son born on June 9th, 1891: Cole Porter.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valporun on October 22, 2013, 10:38:18 AMa shy druggist from their small town of Peru, Indiana
better a shy druggist than a shy druggie, i always say