• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Assistant coach higher up the food chain than director of basketball operations.

VULB#62

Hope Luke and family didn't already buy a house in Wichita.  Also, hope he's prepared for east coast real estate prices. NJ is the 7th most expensive state in the US. Median list price of houses in Princeton is $978k.

valporun

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 29, 2023, 01:27:00 PM
Hope Luke and family didn't already buy a house in Wichita.  Also, hope he's prepared for east coast real estate prices. NJ is the 7th most expensive state in the US. Median list price of houses in Princeton is $978k.

Maybe Princeton has some local realtors that they work with to help coaches out with housing options?

talksalot

I would love to see a H&H with the Tigers.  My high school graduation was in Jadwin gym.  I went to most home games in the early 70s.  My wife's first post valpo graduation job was at Princeton University employee preschool.   Lots of PU connections

VULB#62

Oh the ones who got away. . . . . .

. . . . . Ben, JFL, Skara, Brandon . . . . . 

valpotx

BWood and Krikke did their time at VU, and used what they did here for a final attempt at seeing how they would perform at a P5.  Good on them.  It is only JFL and Skara that I lament leaving, as they left before becoming Valpo grads.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Outstanding addition. I was at the Hoosier Dome for his first collegiate game. It was a 4 team affair. Game 1 was Indiana against somebody. Our seats were a million miles away. We had never sat that far away from the court, before or since. When the game was over, most Indiana fans left, leaving a ton on courtside seats wide open, so we headed down there. While the event staff was busy turning away people in front of us trying to do the same thing, we casually walked around everyone and took our rightful places courtside  ;). Thus, game-2 became the closest I had ever watched a college bb game. The biggest treat was yet to come as we witnessed a star being born before our very eyes - a baby-faced kid from Eastern Europe named Lubos Barton.

Chairback

And he has recruits on the way. 

valpotx

Kendrick Perry is helping to lead a Montenegro team at the FIBA World Cup.  Basketball naturalization rules are so odd, in that he only played one season in that league, but is a naturalized Montenegrin.  Similar to how Alec Peters is eligible to play for Bosnia-Herzegovina. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendrick_Perry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Peters
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyEIT777

Quote from: vu72 on July 22, 2023, 07:45:10 AM
Quote from: vu84v2 on July 21, 2023, 09:13:37 PMWas flipping around different channels tonight and saw the end of a TBT game on ESPN. The Arkansas team won the game on a sweet offhand move by Brandon Wood.
Brandon Wood is just pure silk.  The guy belongs in the NBA.
I just saw that Brandon Wood is on the Mad Ants training camp roster. Hopefully he gets some run with the Mad Ants, they're playing their games at Gainbridge Fieldhouse this season as they move from Fort Wayne to the Indy suburbs.

https://x.com/TheMadAnts/status/1718404458382553598?s=20

historyman

Quote from: IndyEIT777 on November 01, 2023, 10:06:25 PM
Quote from: vu72 on July 22, 2023, 07:45:10 AM
Quote from: vu84v2 on July 21, 2023, 09:13:37 PMWas flipping around different channels tonight and saw the end of a TBT game on ESPN. The Arkansas team won the game on a sweet offhand move by Brandon Wood.
Brandon Wood is just pure silk.  The guy belongs in the NBA.
I just saw that Brandon Wood is on the Mad Ants training camp roster. Hopefully he gets some run with the Mad Ants, they're playing their games at Gainbridge Fieldhouse this season as they move from Fort Wayne to the Indy suburbs.

https://x.com/TheMadAnts/status/1718404458382553598?s=20

I've heard the Mad Ants will eventually end up in Noblesville once their arena/stadium/fieldhouse is built.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

What do you think that Sheldon Edwards is thinking at this point?  Minimal playing time last year has led to even less time this season.  He would probably have loved to play in Coach Powell's high tempo offense.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4703982/sheldon-edwards
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

nkvu

It would be interesting to see how many of the guys who transferred over the years really improved their playing time and/or their professional prospects.  I can think of a few who had some success when they transferred up, but did they really have better professional careers than they would have had had they stayed?  The three guys from Valpo I know of who played in the NBA, Bryce, Ryan, and Alec all played their entire careers at Valpo. Have any of the transfers up made it to the NBA?  I'm kind of thinking no. Not that I'm criticizing any of the guys who transferred. There are lots of reasons a player might want to transfer. Maybe Krikke wanted a chance to play in the big dance in his last year.  I don't think anyone sees him as a potential nba player, and I doubt that even had he stayed would Valpo have a shot at the ncaa tournament. Now given the obscene number of at large bids the P5 conferences get, he has a good chance to play in the dance  But professional career?  I doubt it will be better.

valpotx

JFL is very close to getting an NBA game, but I wouldn't say that DePaul is the reason.  If he would have stayed at Valpo, he would have still been 'the guy,' and probably in the same position on the edge of the NBA.
"Don't mess with Texas"

AB

Sheldon, is quite the enigma. His skill level is not the issue, it's his head.
Valpo players that have transferred... Seems like their have been some convo's on this in the past, even a breakdown from PO. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Case by case mixed results. I'm sure I left out some names, My opinions are not binding, Take all this as you will, but off the top of my head......

Lexus Williams was solid at VU, didn't get the playing time, injury, played behind a loaded backcourt with E Viktor, both             
                     Walkers, Carter. Got to the NIT with Boise State, had a nice season with them.
                     Bakari E, nice role at Iowa, played 30 min a game, no big stats, covid hit, no post season
                     Micha Bradford, Southern, step down, bust
                     Richie Edwards, never got off the bench at ASU
                     Jay Sorolla, quit the team at UC, bad coaching situation,
                     Andrew Ferry: Sweet 16 run with Cornell, best team in school history
                     Brandon Wood, NCAA run with the Spartans
                     Derik Smits, injuries, no post season at Butler
                     JFL, No post season at Depaul, more TV exposure, faced better competition
                     Markus Golder, Portland State, please....Bust. Dunking and one great buzzer beater, No basketball IQ
                     Sackey, New Orleans, step down, guy never developed a jump shot or could finish at the hoop, went one speed 110 mph
                     Nick Robinson, lateral move, Western Carolina, bust
                     Ognacevic, Lipscomb, put up good numbers at the new school, the one that got away
                     Parker Hazen, some jr college in Iowa, Lipscomb, became a serviceable player after a bust at VU
                     Goodnews, badnews, total bust, transferred down
                     The guy from Oklahoma State, not an academic, would have been terrific
                     Keondre Young, enormous upside, Huge loss, transferred initially a small college in Chicago than somewhere else I think
                     Cam Palese Bust, Canicious, step down
                     Skara, got to a sweet 16 Clemson
                     Ibra Bayu, huge upside, big loss, would have thrived under Powell's system
                     Trey Woodyard, bust.

VULB#62

Is Tevonn now at Oklahoma?  Saw a post by PO with a. pic of Ben and who I thought was Tevonn 

valpotx

Joe Burton was the OK State guy.  He was solid, but yes, struggled academically.

Keyondre Young is at DePaul now, and is apparently an end of the bench guy for them at the moment - https://depaulbluedemons.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/keyondre-young/3185
Trey Woodyard is at the University of New Hampshire and is a starter, though with average production - https://unhwildcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/trey-woodyard/10105
Cam Palesse is putting up average numbers at Canisius - https://gogriffs.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/cam-palesse/7690
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 23, 2023, 08:27:09 PM
Is Tevonn now at Oklahoma?  Saw a post by PO with a. pic of Ben and who I thought was Tevonn
Yes. Grad assistant I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

historyman

Quote from: covufan on November 26, 2023, 02:41:29 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on November 23, 2023, 08:27:09 PM
Yes. Grad assistant I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not listed on the Oklahoma MBB coaches & staff website listing

https://soonersports.com/sports/mens-basketball/coaches?path=mbball

BUT Tevonn does list Oklahoma U Grad Assistant on his Instagram KidCanadaO.T.V.

𝙺𝚒𝚍𝙲𝚊𝚗𝚊𝚍𝚊𝙾.𝚃.𝚅 (@tevonnwalker) • Instagram photos and videos
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

FWalum

Maximus Nelson is doing pretty well at 11-2 Purdue Fort Wayne. Playing about 19 minutes a game, 8 ppg, and shooting 46% from 3.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

I hope that he continues to do well!  He is probably someone like Connor, who would struggle in our new offensive system.  He didn't seem to be able to create his own shots, so he would have the same role that Connor does, when Connor is healthy. 
"Don't mess with Texas"