• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Kyle Zobeck signs with New York Cosmos of NASL

Started by IndyValpo, March 26, 2014, 06:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Speaking of the NASL, I saw where the Indy Eleven's inaugural game against the Carolina Railhawks is sold out and the game will be televised on channel 23. The MyIndy23 that had a long contract with Butler men's BB but got edged out when CBSSports got the Big East contract.

Also the Indy Eleven are playing the Chicago Fire in an exhibition game on Tuesday, April 1 at 7:30 p.m. EDT at Purdue's brand new soccer field next to Alexander Field, the fairly new Purdue baseball field.

If Alexander Field had been finished on time Valpo baseball's first Div. I NCAA tournament baseball game would have been held there. Unfortunately for Purdue the stadium was not finished in time and the game was moved to the Steelyard in Gary home of the Railcats. Many of us waited through a 21 inning game between Kentucky and Kent that evening before Purdue and Valpo took the field 3 hours later than scheduled.

valpotx

Hopefully he gets some playing time!  It is crucial to get games under your belt as a young GK, as most starting GKs are 27 and over in most leagues
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

According to FC Dallas, last season he made around $38,500 for a developmental player.  I would have to think it will be around $30k this year, if he was given better assurances regarding playing time (or at least making the game list)
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

According to the MLS Players' Union data Zobeck was at the league minimum, $35,125.  Naively you'd think lower salaries in the second tier, but I think maybe the Cosmos had a splashy signing or two (probably with higher pay?) for their NASL debut last season.  So, who knows.  The Cosmos are apparently recently reincarnated.  Maybe in 2010?  But I'm not quite sure if they played any games before their half-season championship in the NASL last year.

Anyhow, good for Kyle!  Think he gets to meet Pele? ;)

After his trial with the Cosmos in Dubai I was hopeful, but it seemed like it had been a while without any news...

Unless they sign a third keeper, he'll see plenty of game day rosters (e.g. all of them). 

Reynish apparently had an outstanding season (er, half a season? all the Cosmos played in their NASL debut last year? but they won!) last year, and is now meant to be the backup keeper for the Fire in the MLS.  He got 13 of 14 starts, and apparently the NASL goalkeeper of the year award.

So, he left, and they released their 3rd string keeper.  So, they were down to just Jimmy Maurer - who got the other of last season's 14 starts.

Maurer's background looks reasonably similar to Kyle's.  Drafted about the same place in the MLS, but did get a whole season starting in the NASL with a different club, and has been bouncing around a little.

The Cosmos did have a a couple of other trialists through before Kyle (Steward Ceus, Ian Joyce) without signing anyone.

It will be interesting to see how Kyle does!

The Cosmos get the regular season started April 19 at Edmonton, and travel to play Antonijevic's Fort Lauderdale side on May 31 - with at least two other meetings scheduled this year.

valpotx

Last season was their first year back in competitive play.  They had hoped to receive the MLS bid for expansion, but New York City FC was given that honor instead.
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Zebeck had a decent season. He played in 4 games, 3 starts playing behind the #1 goalie in the league.

valpotx

Hopefully he signs with a team that can get him more playing time, which is crucial for a young GK.  GKs play into their late 30s, and don't hit their prime until their late 20s, so he has some time to learn.
"Don't mess with Texas"