• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Men's Soccer - 2015

Started by VULB#62, June 26, 2015, 07:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: Kyle321n on October 02, 2015, 12:48:04 PMI looked at the schedule because I wanted to catch a soccer game at some point this season and while I couldn't make the Omaha game I wondered what the next game at home would be.

Maybe come see the women also/instead?

Northern Kentucky next Friday could be a battle of teams unbeaten in the conference.

Cleveland State on October 30, our last conference game of the season, could easily have big implications for the conference tournament.  (Or, could just be a warm-up...)

Kyle321n

I'm definitely considering going on Friday to see that game. I just thought I'd comment on the men's schedule in the men's thread.  ;) I know I'm a little :crazy:
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

Manny

League schedule is set by the league. 9 games so one year a team will be 5 home / 4 away, or like VU this year it will be the reverse.

Out of league games seems to be a steady diet of teams that will return every other year to Valpo. Loyola, iupui, wiu for example with some "big games" road tests thrown in. Michigan and UNM being upcoming examples.

It is true that big name schools will not come to Brown, or if they do they only come once. I spoke to UNO coach Monday night and he said after game that they wouldn't come back again until Valpo gets a new field. He loves the game but field is too narrow, dangerous concrete lip surrounding the field, football lines, and poor quality turf. He's spoiled with a soccer only multi million dollar stadium in omaha, but that's what it takes these days to be a legit top 20 program. Valpo lives on the road and usually pays for it by season's end. Catch 22, but until some new field is built, Valpo will be in a tough spot.

agibson

And there are at least murmurings ofa new field down the road.  Is it in some version of the master plan?  Adjacent to the field house?

It'd sure be fun to -watch- in a soccer specific stadium, etc.

If we can dream, I can imagine that having a couple of grass options available, with maybe turf as a backup, would be nice.

agibson

Quote from: Kyle321n on October 02, 2015, 03:00:43 PM
I'm definitely considering going on Friday to see that game. I just thought I'd comment on the men's schedule in the men's thread.  ;) I know I'm a little :crazy:

Yeah, I considered replying to you over there. But, that would have seemed strange too.

That thread does, certainly need some love! Sounds like another quality win, on the road, was certainly a pretty chip shot goal.  Hopefully they're showing they can be the dominant team people thought possible!

agibson

Another solid win.  This time on the road at Milwaukee.  Looked cold and windy, and Milwaukee put up a fight. 

But, from what I saw the lion's share of the possession was ours.  Solid stuff as usual from Nico between the sticks.  Our defense broke up Milwaukee's attacks quickly.  Our midfield maintained possession well and turned them over.  Ramone Howell and Isaiah Madrid had some particularly nice stuff.  And, after wishing a couple of times for Madrid to hit a left-footed shot last time at Brown field, he hit a couple of beauties tonight.  Including the game winner.  He was on the left flank for that one.  Has he played there at all this season?

Somewhat quiet game for co-captain Aidoud.  Came off in the first half, and stayed off for a good chunk of the second.  Came out of the game again, limping, towards the end.

Look for us to rise to 7th, maybe 6th (passing Western Michigan?) regionally.  Number 3 and 4 are nationally ranked, and number 5 is Butler receiving votes (but Omaha's receiving votes too...).

agibson

A little round-up of the various rankings and such on my radar.  Most update Mondays or Tuesdays.

NSCAA: Future opponents New Mexico and Michigan fall down to the "receiving votes" category.

We climb to #6 in the Great Lakes regional poll, climbing over Western Michigan, and UIC enters at #10 on their win over Wright State.

Those ahead of us are nationally ranked: #1 Creighton, #8 Akron, #12 Georgetown, #21 Butler, #24 Xavier (7-3-0).

So, we probably don't have _too_ much margin for error if we want to move up. (Would we even tread water if we lost at both New Mexico and Michigan? Or might an NIU, Villanova, even UIC pass us?)

College Soccer News: Omaha still receiving votes in top 30.  Michigan 25.

Top Drawer Soccer: New Mexico 20.

Soccer America: New Mexico 21.

Massey: Valpo to 48 or 47 or so. Defense #16.  (I'm still not sure what all his categories mean.)

Horizon League:
http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/horizon-league-athletes-of-the-week-week-of-sept-28
Omar Lawrence, center back, is named defensive player of the week.  It's got to be hard for anybody not watching the games - and even some of us watching the games! - to decide how to proportion the credit for clean sheets.  Lots of credit to go around! A team award, as Mike Avery's said all of these are.  But, very nice for Lawrence to get some recognition.

Tied with UIC for 2nd in the league table, edging them on tiebreakers I guess.  But, Northern Kentucky, sitting on top, got just one additional point (i.e. a draw) out of their extra game played. 

We're a few minutes (30?) away from setting the all-time Valpo for consecutive minutes without giving up a goal.

VUMSO continues to stretch their record for consecutive games unbeaten, currently at 8.  (Maybe we're coming up on the consecutive wins record too? Currently at 4.) That'll be put to the test Saturday 6:00 PM central at Wright State, which should be a tough contest.  They finished just behind us in the pre-season Horizon league coaches' poll.  They've had some tough negative results in League play, even at home.  But, they beat Cincinnati 3-0 (one of our two losses), and scored a goal at Kentucky, yielding the same 2-1 line that was handed to us.

[updated to include Soccer America ranking]

VULB#62

Thanks AG.  Was tracking the USSCA poll early this AM but the new 10/6 poll came out later in the day.

WSU will be a great test at their place. But by now the boys are so used to road trips that it almost should not be a factor.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on October 06, 2015, 02:16:37 PMWe climb to #6 in the Great Lakes regional poll, climbing over Western Michigan, and UIC enters at #10 on their win over Wright State.

Those ahead of us are nationally ranked: #1 Creighton, #8 Akron, #12 Georgetown, #21 Butler, #24 Xavier (7-3-0).

So, we probably don't have _too_ much margin for error if we want to move up. (Would we even tread water if we lost at both New Mexico and Michigan? Or might an NIU, Villanova, even UIC pass us?)

I didn't think hard about the polls after a moderately ugly 3-1 loss at Wright State, at what seemed to be their main homecoming athletic event. Aidoud didn't play, hopefully he's back soon, maybe a couple of others absent or limited too.  So, hopefully it's more like a blip than a change of course. We did set the record for consecutive minutes without giving up a goal, despite the extremely uncharacteristic (for the Mike Avery era) three goals allowed.

Wright State jumps into the regional poll, and all the way to #5 (?!) on the win.  I guess that's some kind of sign of respect for us.

UIC jumps from #10 to #6.

Xavier falls all the way from #5 to #7 on their 3-0 conference loss (at home).

We slip down to #8.

A couple of wins in these last three games of a five-game road stretch could be enough to bump us up a couple of spots, depending on e.g. what Wright State and UIC do.

New Mexico, tomorrow's getting listed as #23 on the VU schedule. Michigan Monday's getting listed as unranked. (I've not checked the multiplicity of national polls, at least not yet, but probably Aaron Leavitt _has_.)

Looks like there will be video from New Mexico, not sure if it's free.

agibson

I only saw the last 30 minutes or so (including both OT's), but from what I saw VUMSO earned at _least_ a draw.

Was 1-1 in the end, at #23 (in one ranking) New Mexico.  Apparently a hundred Valpo supporters there.  (3-4 players, maybe a coach too, with NM backgrounds.)

The Lobos' goal was in the first thirty seconds or so, apparently.  And the first half was played under 50% stadium lighting.  I guess half the lights were out, they delayed for 40 minutes or so, VU was willing to play even without the lights, and they eventually got them on around half time.

Seems to me like a pretty good bounce back from the Wright State game.

Good to see Jordan back in action. Great to see Isaiah (one of the New Mexico natives) terrorizing the defense. The goal was a nice combo with Gweh.  Isaiah had often gotten in alone with the UNM goalie, but at tight angles, shots not _so_ dangerous.  But, at least one time he got a nice pass to Gweh instead, in front of goal.

agibson

Quick tiebreakers:

A win would put VUMSO on 12 points.  Only 7 teams can reach 12 points.

VU definitely needs to win, hosting Green Bay, to qualify.

Cleveland State, who we beat already, sits at 11 points. Detroit, who we drew, sits at 11 points.

If Cleveland State loses or draws at UIC (unbeaten in conference), along with that VUMSO win, Valpo's in.

If Detroit loses, hosting last place Belmont, along with that VUMSO win, Valpo's in.

If Detroit draws (and they like to draw, they're 2-1-5), I'm not sure what happens. We'd have to figure out the second tiebreaker (I'm 80% sure the first is head-to-head).

So, if Valpo beats Green Bay, we're very much in the hunt. I'd guess we have a fair chance at getting in (75%?), and getting even the 5 seed might be plausible.

While we're at it, let's check Massey.  Surely Massey doesn't include the effect on UIC's psyche of having already qualified, etc, etc.  But, still, let's take a look.

Massey gives a 49% chance of three points hosting Green Bay.

They give UIC a 66% chance of beating CSU outright, and a 14% chance of a draw.

They give Detroit an 18% chance of losing to Belmont (and another 16% chance of a draw).

So, massaging those together in my head, with some uncertainties, maybe only a 42% chance of qualifying. But, if we beat GB, an excellent chance (85%?).

We'll see.

But, it's definitely not over.

agibson

I see it's been a while since this thread was updated.

Injuries have been rough on Valpo, it sees.  Aidoud, a captain and key player, has seen limited minutes, maybe connected to an injury that had him miss at least one game entirely.

The back line's been suffering as well, with one of our usual center backs missing several games now (out for the season? who knows?).  And, in the last game, we only had one of our usual starters in the back line.  And, to my inexpert eye, the different personnel, the lack of experience (playing in those positions, and playing together) seemed to show.

So, beating Green Bay may not be easy.  But, it's definitely not over.

vu72

A nice win tonight, but, a little to late.  If my math is correct, UIC's loss to CSU tonight sealed us as the 7th seed and out of the tournament.  So much talent, so disappointing a result... :'(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Another disappointing finish for men's soccer, after so much promise through 2/3 of the season.  This is a solid program at Valpo, but just shows how strong the HL is in soccer when the 7th place team finishes 3-3-3 in conference.  We only lose a few key players, and will be strong again next season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on November 15, 2015, 09:12:13 PM
Another disappointing finish for men's soccer, after so much promise through 2/3 of the season.  This is a solid program at Valpo, but just shows how strong the HL is in soccer when the 7th place team finishes 3-3-3 in conference.  We only lose a few key players, and will be strong again next season.

It seems that we have a lot of talent yet only the goalkeeper made first team all conference.  Only one guy on the second team.  Injuries may have played a major role yet it seems we are not getting the results for the talent we have.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on November 15, 2015, 09:46:51 PM
Quote from: valpotx on November 15, 2015, 09:12:13 PM

It seems that we have a lot of talent yet only the goalkeeper made first team all conference.  Only one guy on the second team.  Injuries may have played a major role yet it seems we are not getting the results for the talent we have.

We lose only three seniors.  The second half of the season was marked by top players (especially the back line) being banged up, but with the exception of Wright State (3-1 loss) every game pretty much came down to the wire.  The last 7 games:  1 W, 3L, 3T = 6 points.  Had any of those draws gone our way we'd have been in the tournament.  All 3 draws went the full 2 OTs.  The loss to eventual league champion Oakland (away) went to OT as well.  GF: 7 GA: 5.  Speaking of 'away,' I don't think any of the HL squads travelled as much as Valpo -- we only had 6 home matches (12 on the road). And constant travel takes a toll.  The home field record was 3 wins, a tie and a loss.  Three more home matches and we are talking about a different story.

agibson

Horizon League, not Valpo.  But, Oakland will play at Dayton in the first round of the NCAA.  Could be a winnable game.  Should be Thursday, I guess, details TBA.

But, I guess that's by design.  These are apparently play-in games (unlike the women's tournament?).  Winner plays Ohio State (Sunday?), who the NCAA seems to have ranked #9 (NSCAA #12).

historyman

It looks like Dayton tied Oakland 2-2 but Dayton advanced to take on Ohio State. Dayton tied Ohio State 1-1 but Ohio State advanced to play Stanford on Sunday at 8:00 p.m. EST
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann