• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

ND at Valpo (Robotic Football)

Started by ValpoFan, September 16, 2015, 09:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoFan

The Valparaiso University is hosting the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame University for a robotic football game.
Please join us to cheer our students to victory.
Admission is FREE!

When: Sunday Sept, 20 @ 1pm.
Where: The Athletic Recreation Center

This is a family event. After the game, fans (including little ones) will be invited to come on the floor and drive the robots around.

momofalex

We attended this last spring and it was great!  If anyone is on campus it's worth watching.

ValpoFan

Thanks for the plug momofalex.
This year will be even better. It is ND rather than Purdue-Kokomo and most importantly, the game will be played in the main Gym in the ARC.

ValpoFan

covufan

My wife asked if this game will be on NBC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandon

Quote from: covufan on September 19, 2015, 03:31:35 PMMy wife asked if this game will be on NBC? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No NBC, but WVUR is providing what is believed to be the first ever play-by-play radio broadcast of a robot football game.

agibson

Quote from: Brandon on September 20, 2015, 01:10:19 PM
Quote from: covufan on September 19, 2015, 03:31:35 PMMy wife asked if this game will be on NBC? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No NBC, but WVUR is providing what is believed to be the first ever play-by-play radio broadcast of a robot football game.

Nice!

The event, again this year, was a lot of fun.  The report was 500+ in attendance.  The chairbacks weren't full, by any means, but a solid slug of humanity was attendance.  Great to see students, faculty, and lots of kids: boys and girls.  The student participants were very generous with their time after.  A very nice project, and lots of fun to drive!

Final score was in the vicinity of Valpo 85 - Notre Dame 40.

I had a good chat with the Notre Dame adviser - he was very impressed with how far Valpo's come just a couple of years into the sport.

I didn't ask, but wish I had, how much he attributed to their robot design, and how much to their football know-how and on-field performance. 

Great fun to have multiple non-robotic football players involved with the robots. And, always fun to see former students (e.g. freshmen labs) and current Physics majors in action.

(Time to move the football indoors, turn it over to the robots, and give Brown field to the soccer teams?)

agibson

I also heard murmurings of more activity this year.  Some talk of as many as eight teams in the area?  Possibly a tournament.  Not sure about a league.

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on September 21, 2015, 05:11:09 PM

Final score was in the vicinity of Valpo 85 - Notre Dame 40.

I had a good chat with the Notre Dame adviser - he was very impressed with how far Valpo's come just a couple of years into the sport.

:cheers: I didn't ask, but wish I had, how much he attributed to their robot design, and how much to their football know-how and on-field performance. 

Great fun to have multiple non-robotic football players involved with the robots. And, always fun to see former students (e.g. freshmen labs) and current Physics majors in action.

(Time to move the football indoors, turn it over to the robots, and give Brown field to the soccer teams?)    :-X

Thoughts:

We kicked major BUTT!

:cheers: Difference twixt ND and VU:  our engineers play football, theirs play Mind Craft/Doom/whatever.

:-X   BUT... then comes ROBOT SOCCER.  By that time everyone will be living on recliners, weigh 600 lbs,. and will be fed intravenously

VU75

Robert Morris Chicago actually offers athletic scholarships for computer gaming.   With all the health issues of football would it be a stretch to wonder if some day NFL and college games may  become computer generated and the first draft pick may come out of MIT. 

ValpoFan

That's correct. The plan is for ND to host the inaugural national championship of robotic football in April. The goal is for the bracket to include 8 teams.

VULB#62

Wow!  We could be national champs!     :dance: :dance: :dance:

agibson

[tweet]721140450791436288[/tweet]

Speaking of national champions.

(Maybe only four teams? But some lopsided margins!)

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Yes, it was complimentary AND funny ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUOR63

Do any of the real football players play on the robotic football team? I think there are some mechanical engineers on the football team.

valpotx

I believe that Jake Hutson is on the team.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

There were a couple more too. Just don't know who right now. If someone wants to dig into the FB Twitter site the names would surface I'm sure.

ValpoFan

Jake Hutson was on the team but he graduated in December.
This last team included the following engineering students:
John Guilford, Alex Kozlowski, Aaron Brunner, and Branden Slattery.