• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Soccer 2016

Started by VULB#62, June 14, 2016, 12:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Well balanced 2016 schedule that should challenge our women, but has the potential to afford wins in ontests against some name competition.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wsoccer/news/2015-16/15585/valpo-womens-soccer-announces-2016-schedule/#.V2A6D1c4ko8

agibson

Seems like you beat twitter! I went to retweet it, and couldn't find it.

VULB#62

Yeah, still not up there at 3:46 CDST but it's on the web site and will be on Twitter shortly I assume.

agibson

The women, too, are off to a good start in conference. The league's table on their website is somehow in no obvious order. But, VU should be tied for first (haven't checked the tie-breakers).

Their sole loss in conference was a heartbreaker. Great come back in the 87th minute from Valpo, lovely header by Grace Rogers, to force overtime. Valpo's been on what I'd assume is their second choice goalkeeper all season (redshirt freshman Tess Barrett), with last season's #1 (Syndey Galvez-Daley) out injured. About twenty seconds into overtime a Detroit player (defender?) hit a _ridiculous_ pass about forty yards forward that was a lovely through ball just over the shoulder of the VU defender and perfectly placed for the Detroit forward. She ran on into the box, where Tess had little choice but to come out, diving in bravely, but missing the ball, getting the player (ankle? leg?). DOGSO. Red card. Sophomore Drew Moulton, who got significant minutes last year backing up Syd, had to come on for her first play of the season to try and save the PK.

agibson

Decision Day today for Horizon League women's soccer.

A win on the road against what looks like a tough Northern Kentucky team gets them in to the playoffs for sure.

Otherwise, a lot depends on other results - everybody plays tonight, not quiet simultaneous starts. They could host a game, or be left out entirely. (They could even lose and still make the playoffs.)