• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo's Future in Swimming

Started by VULB#62, August 23, 2017, 10:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on July 11, 2019, 06:49:13 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on July 11, 2019, 05:13:54 PMLeaving for a bigger job?

:rotfl:

Actually, there are bigger BETTER jobs in swimming than coaching VU swimming. There are some really good jobs in swim clubs as well as colleges (D-III definitely) and even high schools (if you are ok with also teaching some classes). 

The theme is consistent, however. In order for a sport at Valpo to break out of mediocrity or, worse, ineptness, requires an investment in coaching, a decent recruitment budget and, yes, equipment and facilities ( but the first two are primary). You can see that in the effort made to raise football above .500. Proportionally, the same effort needs to be applied across the board.

My next thought will probably bring a ton of criticism but here goes.  We complain about student interest and support of our teams.  So....... Revise new student recruitment/admission priorities  to primarily focus mainly on two factors - academics and athletics. We are fighting for survival here people. We need energized undergrads and then energized alums after graduation.  Go after the good high school athlete with great grades who wants a solid career in.... whatever. AND/OR go after the really smart kid who is also a high school athlete who wants a great career in..... whatever. They are the graduates who will follow Valpo after graduation and talk up the university afterwards as being a great overall experience.  They will care more than the kid who just wants a degree and spends most of their time in their dorm room or a classroom or on video games.

Although it might not be entirely accurate and I have no statistics to back this up, this board, IMO, reflects exactly what I am asserting. I'll bet most, if not all, of us played HS sports and even though some of us never played at the college level we understand the dynamic I am am speaking about.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 11, 2019, 09:52:12 PMActually, there are bigger BETTER jobs in swimming than coaching VU swimming.

I think you miss my point.  It would be hard to NOT find a better swim job than coaching at Valpo.  It probably was a job where the coach needed to be working another spot just to cover the bills.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Yep, 72, it went right over my head  ;D

VUSWIM08-12

Ahhh , I've been thinking about applying but Valpo has just never given the resources the swim program needs. I've got 4 seasons as a DIII assistant, 1 season as a NAIA head coach( the team would have beat valpo in dual) and now I'm coaching club . I make probably 7-10k more than I'd start out at Valpo and I work less hours . I love Valpo so I may apply.

VULB#62

Apply. Set your minimums. If they are met, fine. If not. Don't accept

VUSWIM08-12

Valpo Women set a new school on the 400 Medley Relay. They didn't just beat the record but absolutely destroyed it by 6 seconds. Congrats ladies. http://valpoathletics.com/mswim/news/2019-20/19530/womens-medley-relay-record-highlights-opening-day-of-phoenix-fall-classic/

valpotx

Do we think that we will offer more scholarships in S&D, with the reduction of sports?
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Quote from: valpotx on November 23, 2019, 06:10:18 PMDo we think that we will offer more scholarships in S&D, with the reduction of sports?
Does Valpo offer scholarships for Swimming and Diving? I'm not sure what the scholarship sports are other than Basketball. Maybe both soccer programs (to this point)?

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on November 23, 2019, 08:01:19 PM
Quote from: valpotx on November 23, 2019, 06:10:18 PMDo we think that we will offer more scholarships in S&D, with the reduction of sports?
Does Valpo offer scholarships for Swimming and Diving? I'm not sure what the scholarship sports are other than Basketball. Maybe both soccer programs (to this point)?

http://www.speeddevelopment.net/ncaa_college_scholarship_rules_and_limits_-_collegeathletes.com.pdf
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on November 23, 2019, 08:20:11 PM
Quote from: JD24 on November 23, 2019, 08:01:19 PM
http://www.speeddevelopment.net/ncaa_college_scholarship_rules_and_limits_-_collegeathletes.com.pdf
I know how many scholarships a program CAN offer. My question was which sports does Valpo offer scholarships for?

usc4valpo

Valpo swimming should be a club sport. Quit wasting energy on this.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 24, 2019, 09:55:29 AM
Valpo swimming should be a club sport. Quit wasting energy on this.

Honest question, I know you are disillusioned with our AD.  If you were AD for a day,

1) What's our D1 sports team count?  I submit we have 17 rather than 19 because I don't count Indoor T&F and Outdoor T&F as separate teams despite having two conference championship tournaments.  (My vote is 17 to stay with our peers)
2). What sports WOULD you have in a listed format?  Please identify M or W (ie M Basketball or W Basketball).

usc4valpo

Actually, I am not disillusioned with MLB. He has done a decent job. I would not say our standing but I would say pretty good. For some reason Valpo is low on cash for athletics or more likely Valpo administration is not committed to the rest of the MVC or Pioneer conference. The records speak for itself.

Two things however:
1. Why have swimming as a varsity sport knowing that you will always be  inferior against your competition? I say having a sport just to provide it without a mission for success is wrong.

2. MLB has been around for 15 years, and that is quite extensive for any position. Similar to industry, sometimes a change to shake things up is painful but good in the long run.

VUSWIM08-12

Valpo Swimming has one full ride on each side so women get one and men get one to divide among the team. MLB is more of pawn for the board of trustees, he just does what they tell him. Maybe they gave him an amount of money he needed to cut and he selected soccer and tennis, really shocked it wasn't swimming honestly. I think they have the women's team around to fullfill Title IX but no clue why the men's team is around. I heard last fall they were cutting the men according to someone around the program.

valpotx

This move just makes sense, when you look at the other MVC institutions that also have Men's Swimming.  I have to believe that this will make the program feel better, as well.  Now, let's actually do something in S&D for once!

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mswim/news/2020-21/20249/valpo-mens-swimming-to-join-mac-as-affiliate-member/
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpotx on March 04, 2021, 06:28:28 PM
This move just makes sense, when you look at the other MVC institutions that also have Men's Swimming.  I have to believe that this will make the program feel better, as well.  Now, let's actually do something in S&D for once!

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mswim/news/2020-21/20249/valpo-mens-swimming-to-join-mac-as-affiliate-member/
I wonder why the MAC sponsors Men's Swimming when only 2 MAC schools participate?

usc4valpo

Let us be realistic - if Valpo removed swimming as an NCAA sport, what is the impact?

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on March 04, 2021, 06:28:28 PMThis move just makes sense, when you look at the other MVC institutions that also have Men's Swimming.  I have to believe that this will make the program feel better, as well.  Now, let's actually do something in S&D for once! http://www.valpoathletics.com/mswim/news/2020-21/20249/valpo-mens-swimming-to-join-mac-as-affiliate-member/

I love this move! This is going to save so much on travel and unite the program with its MVC peers! Great move! I don't know much about swimming but I assume the MAC would be more prestigious as well.

Quote from: valpotx on April 17, 2021, 12:10:21 AMCongrats to our first men's champion since I was in school! http://www.valpoathletics.com/mswim/news/2020-21/20420/may-wins-200-free-bennett-sets-program-record-to-lead-valpo-men-friday-at-summit-championships/

Awesome! Glad to see this! Congratulations to him!

VUSWIM08-12

The MAC is much more competitive in Men's Swimming than the Summit especially since the program at Denver has fallen apart over the last two years. The MAC Championship will be a tough test, but Coach Kroemer absolutely has them heading in the right direction!