• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Keith Law ESPN Insider Article on Kyle Gaedele

Started by valpo04, March 14, 2011, 01:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

The Yahoo Sports crew, usually a crew of stupid puff piece writers, have published a story about Kyle's being related to Eddie. They mentioned that he was drafted by the Padres, and had a couple of quotes from the Indy Star, but they didn't really do more than say, "Hey! You remember when Bill Veeck played that little guy, Eddie Gaedel? Well, the Padres just drafted his great-nephew. The real story is about Eddie, not his great-nephew, Kyle Gaedele."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Not-a-gimmick-Padres-draft-great-nephew-of-Eddi?urn=mlb-wp8821

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on June 07, 2011, 03:22:16 PM
My HS teammate that was drafted in the 13th round out of UT received a $70k bonus back in 2002 after their championship season.  Anyone else that I played with or against was usually taken before the 5th round ($100k's), or after the 15th ($30k-$40k), so I can't give more specific to 6th round unfortunately.

Interesting!  Do I remember well that the salary is pretty low in A ball?  (I have vague  memories of stories about PB&J on the bus?)  So, if he pulls in a $100k signing bonus, he might be well advised to hang on to it.

Best of luck to him!  The sky's the limit.

valpotx

Yes, salaries are very low until you get to AAA I believe.  I guess it gets somewhat decent in AA, so someone should definitely save their signing bonus if at all possible.  A lot of people usually have side jobs in the offseason due to the low pay.  For all the millionaires in the pros, there are so many baseball players that are struggling away in the lower levels.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Quote from: valpotx on June 08, 2011, 11:45:41 PM
Yes, salaries are very low until you get to AAA I believe.  I guess it gets somewhat decent in AA, so someone should definitely save their signing bonus if at all possible.  A lot of people usually have side jobs in the offseason due to the low pay.  For all the millionaires in the pros, there are so many baseball players that are struggling away in the lower levels.

You find a lot of them working as janitors, security, substitute teachers, all kinds of various side jobs that help them to save up some possible cash, and afford to continue playing baseball until they just can't play anymore, whether injuries, lost interest, family life, teams that don't show interest in them because they can't hit, glove, or get the outs needed.

covufan

Quote from: valporun on June 09, 2011, 12:38:52 PM
Yes, salaries are very low until you get to AAA I believe.  I guess it gets somewhat decent in AA, so someone should definitely save their signing bonus if at all possible.  A lot of people usually have side jobs in the offseason due to the low pay.  For all the millionaires in the pros, there are so many baseball players that are struggling away in the lower levels.

You find a lot of them working as janitors, security, substitute teachers, all kinds of various side jobs that help them to save up some possible cash, and afford to continue playing baseball until they just can't play anymore, whether injuries, lost interest, family life, teams that don't show interest in them because they can't hit, glove, or get the outs needed.

Whatever happened to the billionaire minor league baseball player?  As I recall, he had bought some property from his grandmother in MA and they found some special rock used in landscaping, I believe.  The total amount was worth more than a billion, but it would of course cost a lot of money (and time) to get equipment into the property and mine the rock.  By no means was he cash rich, yet.

covufan

Quote from: covufan on June 09, 2011, 01:50:17 PM
Quote from: valporun on June 09, 2011, 12:38:52 PM
Yes, salaries are very low until you get to AAA I believe.  I guess it gets somewhat decent in AA, so someone should definitely save their signing bonus if at all possible.  A lot of people usually have side jobs in the offseason due to the low pay.  For all the millionaires in the pros, there are so many baseball players that are struggling away in the lower levels.

Whatever happened to the billionaire minor league baseball player?  As I recall, he had bought some property from his grandmother in MA and they found some special rock used in landscaping, I believe.  The total amount was worth more than a billion, but it would of course cost a lot of money (and time) to get equipment into the property and mine the rock.  By no means was he cash rich, yet.

OK, here is the article I read a few years ago:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/news/story?id=2783310

I could not find him on www.minorleaguebaseball.com  I wonder what he is doing these days.

covufan

Whatever happened to the billionaire minor league baseball player?  As I recall, he had bought some property from his grandmother in MA and they found some special rock used in landscaping, I believe.  The total amount was worth more than a billion, but it would of course cost a lot of money (and time) to get equipment into the property and mine the rock.  By no means was he cash rich, yet.
[/quote]

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/news/story?id=2783310

I could not find him on www.minorleaguebaseball.com  I wonder what he is doing these days.
[/quote]

I guess he tried to play in Japan up until last year.  The property was for sale at one time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_White_(baseball)

valporun

I'm just listening to the podcast version of Carmen, Jurko, and Harry (formerly The Afternoon Saloon) on ESPN 1000 in Chicago, and they were talking about Kyle being drafted, more because of his great-uncle Eddie, but they were very good natured about it. I'm not sure if Waddle and Silvy mentioned it, but they would have probably made more of a spectacle/debacle out of the story because it didn't involve Chicago sports.

agibson

Quote from: covufan on June 09, 2011, 02:47:38 PM

Sounds more like a "tens of millions"-aire baseball player.  Unusual for a minor leaguer, and probably a nice stroke of luck, but maybe not singularly wealthy by baseball standards.

VU75

Surprised now one mentioned it, but Gaedele signed with the Padres Saturday.

valporun

I keep looking to see where Kyle will go to start his career, but many of the short-season teams are slow in updating their rosters. I'll try to keep looking and will post where he ends up, unless someone knows already?

vusupporter

No surprise, he's starting with their Northwest League team (short-season A), the Eugene Emeralds.  Their roster is updated.

jetz

"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valpotx

He is struggling around .200 unfortunately.  The only Crusader doing well is Bryce Shafer based on numbers.  It may take a season or two for Kyle to get up to speed on professional pitching.  He struckout a lot in college, and is seeing much better pitching now.
"Don't mess with Texas"