• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Men’s Soccer 2019

Started by VULB#62, October 31, 2019, 11:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

They are very young (lost 10 major contributors from last season, I believe) and their record to date reflects that, but yesterday they led #9 Missouri State 2-0 at the 71:59 mark at Brown Field. Unfortunately, MSU scored twice in the last 20 minutes to tie it up. Overall, MSU outshot Valpo 22-9. The Crusaders finally gave up a golden goal in the first OT. Tough to lose like that, but it speaks well for the young team.

mj

Uh...I guess we won't have a Men's Soccer 2020 thread now?
I believe that we will win.

NotBryceDrew

Guess the MVC no longer has an auto bid

ValpoFB60

Men's soccer and men's tennis are both being cut, we had 21 D1 teams which is larger than any other school in the MVC

NotBryceDrew

Men's tennis has been the most winning program in the last 5 years...

VULB#62

Quote from: ValpoFB60 on November 20, 2019, 05:27:41 PM
Men's soccer and men's tennis are both being cut, we had 21 D1 teams which is larger than any other school in the MVC

CITE SOURCES, DAMN IT!  If a statement like that is made it is the poster 's responsibility to document the source of that statement.  Anything less is totally irresponsible.

M

It's true. I was surprised to learn Valpo had the most D1 sports out of the MVC schools. Feel bad for the student athletes but think this probably the right move.

KL31NY

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 20, 2019, 05:41:38 PM
Quote from: ValpoFB60 on November 20, 2019, 05:27:41 PM

CITE SOURCES, DAMN IT!  If a statement like that is made it is the poster 's responsibility to document the source of that statement.  Anything less is totally irresponsible.

Tranquilo amigo

mj

I think the university needs to show their math on this decision. Because their explanation to the Times seems...iffy. Seems as though money has to be the issue.

NotBryceDrew

crusader05

I felt like the article made it clear money was the issue. Basically the university losses money on athletics and it can either attempt to support sports in a way where their is resource parity with other schools or we stay as we are and look at sports being unable to compete across the board.

It sucks cause men's soccer in particular seemed to be a positive community and had an impact on the university overall with the One Valpo campaign

EddieCabot

Difficult decision for a school attempting to grow enrollment.  The NWI article references the strain that all these programs puts on the available facilities.  So like every other thread, this puts the spotlight on the schools lack of adequate facilities.  Stinks for the kids in these programs, but I assume they'll all find new homes. 

VULB#62

This is my email to MLB:

Valpo just lost any support I would consider for anything.

So short sighted. These two teams were two of the finest representatives of the values that Valpo (apparently) fostered. They competed. Swimming? Absolutely not. Bowling ? Give me a break. T&F ? Really?

Oh, and about Title IX?  Two men's programs gone and no women's programs?

And you realize, of course, that this move is also the kiss of death to women's volleyball.

And after over 6,000 posts here I am no longer going to contribute to this forum. This freakin sucks and so does the athletic department.

Good bye guys.  I really enjoyed the experiences and the dialogue — up till now.

valpofb16

#62 come back we can talk Esports!

Vinny

Extremely disappointing but not surprising. Stayed away from speaking up here for awhile due to perceived "negativity". Well, hopefully, this is a wake-up call for some of you: Valparaiso University is on the endangered species list. Wouldn't be shocked to see it shut its doors within the next 20 years.

M

Seems a bit extreme of a response....but you gotta go with what you believe.

Seems silly Valpo was supporting 21 division one sports to begin with. If sacrificing a few makes the rest better I'm all for it. I still think another couple sports will probably fall and that will be ok too. Feel bad for the kids, they will recover though.

valpofb16

60k per year

Middling sports programs

Dying graduated programs

Severely declining enrollment

Limited off campus housing

3 years in dorms

......consider me shocked Vinny

Vinny

Extreme? Maybe, but I doubt it. Between the law school debacle and now this, I simply don't see VU being able to compete with similar schools for a couple of the reasons listed by valpofb16 - most notably the tuition compared to what a student actually gets.

And I want to make one thing clear: this is an institutional fail. Today's disgrace runs higher than Mark LaBarbera. I'm sure he was just the messenger and not a happy one at that.

But leave it to our tone deaf jackals of campus administrators to launch a video game sports team knowing full well that two successful, real sports programs were on death row.

You couldn't make up this crap if you tried. Just one complete embarrassment after another.

VUGrad1314

We had YEARS of a great climate to take on debts pre 2008 to take on necessary debts to modernize facilities of all stripes (athletic academic and amenities)... At a time when this would very likely have grown enrollment... We did next to nothing... We had a chance to become Gonzaga BEFORE Gonzaga... They didn't want the attention or the publicity... We had a chance to grow enrollment through basketball and didn't take it... You reap what you sow (or don't sow in this case)... Now we've taken on debts we can't pay and the flagship program isn't performing at a level commensurate with growing enrollment and now our debt strapped university that can't get the students in due to its ever rising prices is cutting sports programs... Forget competing in the MVC I just hope we survive now... Jesus what a comedy of errors and a joke the university leadership has been for decades. Disgusting and sad.

valpotx

This is embarrassing.  Cut the crappy programs, not the ones that have actual success on a yearly basis.
"Don't mess with Texas"

mj

Why did they announce these cuts now? Why not let the new President make this decision?

Also, didn't men's soccer have a lot of international players? Was there any thought how this news might affect Valpo's reputation overseas?

And who all was on this review committee?

crusaderjoe

What an absolute shame.  Someone mentioned it earlier and I agree--this is an institutional fail.  Sad day for both programs for sure, but for Men's Soccer in particular.  You cut a program that has a varsity history since the early 80's and has represented the University well in general like a thief in the night, in such an amateur-hour-esque manner?  This is the treatment, after adding three sports in 2009 to potentially get to this point in the first place?  I'm done.

I'll have college aged kids ready to go to school in a few years.  The chances of my kids applying to Valparaiso University is now sadly 0%.

What an absolute shame.

FIN

NOTE:  EDITED SLIGHTLY, DELETING ACCOUNT.

M

I would be shocked if the tennis players didn't have any clue this was coming. Coach had announced his retirement a while ago and the job was never posted.  I think this is a needed move, and while Labarbera is going to take all the bullets he probably shouldn't have to.