• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Labarbera needs to step down

Started by valpofb16, November 20, 2019, 08:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksValpo01

As a former staff member, I will tell all of you that the sports mix of Valpo athletics has been a topic of conversation at the board level for some time. It is sad and unfortunate when any team gets cut at any institution, and I will be honest that some of my best memories of working in athletics was my interactions with the young men of the men's soccer and tennis programs. That being said, anyone who puts this directly on Mark is uninformed and unwilling to see the big picture of higher education, Valpo, and how the entire system works.

*First, Valpo athletics is not a business. If it was, it would have been shuttered decades ago since it hemorrhages money. (only about 20 of 350 D1 schools make a profit FYI) It is an educational program.
*Second, higher education is in trouble across the country. The economy has been good which means fewer people go to school. Also, there are and will continue to be fewer 18 year-olds in the US. Enrollment everywhere will be down due to a lack of people actually being born.
*Third, the decision to cut any sport does not come from the AD or the athletics department. The board is the ultimate decider, and I know for a fact that a lot of thought was put into this choice.
*Finally, not every AD is perfect all the time. Like any human being, we all make management decisions that may turn out to be bad ones - but they happen. To say that Mark is a terrible AD or to even say that he has destroyed Valpo athletics is completely false. He twice elevated the department to two superior conferences, improved facilities the best he could with the minimal donor and university support that athletics has, increased the support staff that helps run athletics, and has expanded the coaching staffs to be more in line with the support other institutions have. If anything he has fought tirelessly to improve a department that the University seemingly just tolerates despite the incredible students that represent Valpo in the most positive of lights.

For years I have seen the complaints about what Valpo athletics isn't doing and how terrible it is. Just know that everyone who works in athletics is doing what they can with what they have. The University community as a whole (including alums, booster, etc. ) need to take some ownership rather than point the finger at the guy standing at the front.

valpo64

I really appreciate your comments "ks".  You are so right in that often times we react too quickly and then say things without having any knowledge of what has really happened and how decisions are made.   How quickly we forget the things you mentioned i.e. upgrading twice to "higher" conference affiliation, improved facilities among other accomplishments.  I agree that MLaB has done an overall fine job and while I know that we all make mistakes, his job performance as a whole is very good.  The tough decisions often times are what determines future successes.  I look forward to bigger and better things, especially with our basketball program and facility upgrades.  I must say the sooner the better.  Keep up the good work MLaB and thanks again for your post "ks".

usc4valpo

How long has MLB been in the AD role?

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

That is a very long time, maybe a change and a fresh mind is required to overcome the excuses anime this out.

valpo95

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 23, 2019, 09:02:03 AM
That is a very long time, maybe a change and a fresh mind is required to overcome the excuses anime this out.

I hear Lynn Swann and Pat Hayden are available... ::)

Look, all of us want to see VU athletics be successful, yet our current athletic director seems to have been doing a solid job given the limited resources available. That doesn't mean every decision is perfect, much less every outcome. I'm willing to defer to him because I don't know that anyone could have done better.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 23, 2019, 09:02:03 AM

Please list your grievances.

usc4valpo

Overall, we are way below the norm overall in athletics in the MVC.  footballl is in an embarrassing situation and  swimming should not even be a varsity sport.

JD24

usc4valpo

I understand 24 but the program has not met expectations for awhile.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 23, 2019, 02:36:57 PMI understand 24 but the program has not met expectations for awhile.
There are many reasons for keeping/dropping programs for universities. Valpo did not do anything out of the ordinary in dropping the two sports in the grand scheme of things.

Frankly, the reaction I've seen has been overly emotional which is somewhat understandable and unlearned in some/many cases which is not.

oklahomamick

ksValpo01, I understand where you are coming from....HOWEVER,

you are missing one thing.  Valpo advanced two conferences due to the Drew's, academics of the university, and the location. 

Not because of facilities, not because we have sponsor 21 19 sports, and especially not because of MLB.

Any AD could have navigated those steps with the Drew's, academics and location of Valpo. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpofb16

Oklahomanick is dead on, without the Drew's we'd still be in the summit league.

For those who think it is emotional talk to many of athletes during Labarbera tenure and they will tell you he hasn't been the best.

Super, I mean super nice guy, represents University great, but eventually consistency and positive results are expected.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpofb16 on November 25, 2019, 12:49:40 PM
Oklahomanick is dead on, without the Drew's we'd still be in the summit league.

For those who think it is emotional talk to many of athletes during Labarbera tenure and they will tell you he hasn't been the best.

Super, I mean super nice guy, represents University great, but eventually consistency and positive results are expected.

Life isn't lived in a vacuum, you cannot isolate one from the other.  I will have to defer to some athletes or fans that have interacted with our AD but from a far, I just don't see the complaints landing.  When I was at VU 2001-2005 we were in a crap league and now we are 2 iterations better.  I'd ask those of you concerned to give us actual examples of inferiority that we can reasonably attribute to LaBarbera.  Real world verified examples as to his blunders.  (You all did a wonderful job with examples of LeCrones follies)

What are the marks against LaBarbera?  Help those of us on the fence to see from your view point please.

usc4valpo

All I can think of is obviously Osteen and women's hoop coach.

I think MLB has done a good job, but he has been in the post for 15 years and perhaps a fresh attitude is needed. Valpo sports and consistently at the bottom half on the MVC and Pioneer, with several dead last.

covufan

A change in AD won't matter if they are not given the resources needed to be competitive in the MVC and PFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: covufan on November 25, 2019, 09:26:38 PM
A change in AD won't matter if they are not given the resources needed to be competitive in the MVC and PFL.

Precisely my point, this appears to be a lack of resources and even a fresh new start only solves the minor aches and pains.  I personally don't believe in change for the sake of change, at times that is what happens in our corporate world where you see 3 to 5 year sprints and a corporation that is gutted afterwards.

I am guilty of emotions more than some but to help change the minds of those of us not seeing it . . . what has to change that does not entail sizable financial investments?  Having a change czar solves nothing unless you have the means to make those changes take hold.

usc4valpo

So why is Valpo so strapped for athletic cash compared to Drake, Bradley and Evansville? I get Drake as I am sure they make a killing with the Drake relays, what about Bradley and Evansville?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 26, 2019, 09:42:30 AM
So why is Valpo so strapped for athletic cash compared to Drake, Bradley and Evansville? I get Drake as I am sure they make a killing with the Drake relays, what about Bradley and Evansville?

This is not to truly answer your question, but the aforementioned have been in the MVC getting Wichita State / Creighton / UNI money for how much longer than us?  Ok, Butler helped us out but pre-2010 in the Mid-Con days . . . . with that travel and lack of revenue had to be a substantial revenue disparity.

crusader05

Valpo athletic funding issues are related to several things.

1. Most schools spend more on athletics than they make and cut budgets elsewhere to make up for the lost revenue so most everyone is "strapped for cash" in that regard but choose to be more willing to run bigger deficits

2(this is the biggest one). Valpo's history with sports, especially Division 1 is fraught and not well-established with most major donors being more interested in Academics (fine with me) or Chapel Life (probably not as necessary although I am a big fan of the institute).  So both institutional, board , and donor support is not there. There also seems to be little interest in city/university partnership for athletics.

3. Our resources have been spread too thin which is what the cutting of teams is supposed to address.

1 and 3 are not the major issues. 2.really is and its partially because the donors and board don't care about athletics or even student life in general outside of the chapel it seems. The largest donation the university has ever had went to the chapel, my guess is at other schools that is not the case. If the cutting of these two teams doesn't shake loose some donor money towards athletics I just don't know what will, short of hanging on until a new generation of Alums are in the big money seat. I know everyone thinks the Drews have already "done a lot" for Valpo Basketball but they could probably pretty easily kickstart the funding for the ARC renovation and the longer they go without financially giving back the more some of the rumors I've heard about the sons at least ring true. Hell, change the name to the Drew and commission a statue of the iconic hug after "The Shot" and put it outside if it gets them to donate more.   

Final note. In his recent Union Street Podcast Oren mentioned rumors about money to upgrade Baseball Facilities which probably means it's more than just rumors if he's comfortable enough addressing them on the pod and/or if he's hearing about them to that extent.

I've heard the anticipation is that they expect to be done with the Endowment campaign a year early )this Spring, which makes me wonder if they have some big donations taking shape since that would mean raising a little less than 30 million in the next four months and the only thing i've heard about regarding bigger asks relate to athletics

usc4valpo

Great analysis Crusader05, particularly on your third item. We are definitely spread too thin in athletics and overall as a university. I think there are opportunities to cut programs and majors and I think we will be better in the long run.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

IndyValpo

And you know this for a fact..no chance a fresh approach makes a difference? Under this theory why do we replace coaches?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 28, 2019, 02:35:06 PM

And you know this for a fact..no chance a fresh approach makes a difference? Under this theory why do we replace coaches?

If you are lost in the woods and you start to run . . . . you're still lost.  Identify, plan and adjust.  I'm allergic to the word "change" without hearing ideas for how and where.  Come on guys, I know you have some good ideas.  Share more than just saying "change" please.

usc4valpo

Cut sports of minimal participation and energy. Don't have varsity sports that are just there without a reasonable mission for success. We also need to determine the Return on investment for the football program.