• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Baseball 2021

Started by valpotx, February 19, 2021, 07:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Yeah, the brown has always worked in Baseball.  We have worn the color for many years.  The jersey that they used to give (I assume that they still give this) to you upon completion of your career at Valpo, is one of the brown variety.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on March 16, 2021, 01:51:03 AM
Congrats to Fields on the National Player of the Week award!

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2020-21/20292/fields-named-national-player-of-the-week-by-collegiate-baseball-newspaper-mvc-pitcher-of-the-week/

I just read that Fields pitched what is known as "an Immaculate" inning during his no hitter.  Perhaps Valpotx can give some background on this.  It is striking out all three batters on nine total pitches with all three being swinging strikeouts.  Pretty special!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Yeah, that is almost next-to-impossible.  So many factors against having such an inning.  I remember a few 3 pitch innings in my day, which the opposing coach was obviously pissed in seeing
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

#7 on our top 10 career strikeouts list, needs to be in the Valpo HoF :).  Mr. Oren/the RA knows that I am extremely biased, since Tom was my roommate and one of my good friends during my time at Valpo, as well as since that time.  A Mid-Con Pitcher of the Year award winner, and twice on the All-Mid-Con team, in a league completely dominated by Oral Roberts, which routinely won all major awards.  Mr. Leavitt, let him in, let him in, let him in!  Just kidding on putting it on Aaron, but I do want to take my recommendation to the forums, in addition to my yearly submission when requests are made on whom to consider.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2020-21/20303/baseball-continues-c-usa-tour-at-western-kentucky/
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

To the writer of this game summary, we beat Notre Dame when they were #1, during our 2001 season.  Probably the only D1 Valpo program to beat a #1?  Thank you :).

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2020-21/20330/baseball-edged-by-nationally-ranked-notre-dame/
"Don't mess with Texas"

Pgmado

Quote from: valpotx on March 23, 2021, 08:24:18 PM
To the writer of this game summary, we beat Notre Dame when they were #1, during our 2001 season.  Probably the only D1 Valpo program to beat a #1?  Thank you :).

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2020-21/20330/baseball-edged-by-nationally-ranked-notre-dame/

It hurts when we realize that our college years are no longer "in recent memory."

bb33

That's okay.  You can take pride in it here. 

Their home run hitter is a beast!  It was a solid performance today considering they were scoring 10 plus runs against other highly competitive programs.  Wish we could have pulled this one off, but maybe later.  We do play them two more times.

valpotx

Quote from: Pgmado on March 23, 2021, 09:14:03 PM

It hurts when we realize that our college years are no longer "in recent memory."

I know!  How dare this individual unilaterally decide that 2001 is no longer a recent memory.  Did I miss a vote??  This is some sort of ageism BS :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

Brandon

Quote from: valpotx on March 23, 2021, 10:31:51 PM

I know!  How dare this individual unilaterally decide that 2001 is no longer a recent memory.  Did I miss a vote??  This is some sort of ageism BS :)

As the writer in question (who was 6 years old in 2001, by the way), I'd say the line for recent memory if whether or not freshmen on our current team were born when it occurred :)

In this context, I was referring more to the Schmack head coaching era as recent memory. We beat ND in 2012 and had a two-run loss to a ranked ND team in 2013 as well. Your 2001 win was referenced in my pregame notes - it is not forgotten!

valpotx

Quote from: Brandon on March 23, 2021, 11:40:02 PM
Quote from: valpotx on March 23, 2021, 10:31:51 PM

As the writer in question (who was 6 years old in 2001, by the way), I'd say the line for recent memory if whether or not freshmen on our current team were born when it occurred :)

In this context, I was referring more to the Schmack head coaching era as recent memory. We beat ND in 2012 and had a two-run loss to a ranked ND team in 2013 as well. Your 2001 win was referenced in my pregame notes - it is not forgotten!

Yep, I knew that you lurked around here on occasion.  Pgmado and I know each other, as well.  I still think that you are trying to cancel us 'old people,' but I guess that I will let it slide...this time :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Brandon, is there any way that you can work the words 'Buck Futler,' into future editions?  You don't need to spell it out sequentially.  Maybe secret code, where each paragraph starts with the letters, coming together to form such an accurate assessment of our feelings towards Futler? :)  I do love that my sport is probably one of the only Valpo programs, which has a winning record against Futler.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2020-21/20333/baseball-to-visit-butler-for-final-pre-conference-series/
"Don't mess with Texas"

Brandon

Quote from: valpotx on March 25, 2021, 12:43:54 AMBrandon, is there any way that you can work the words 'Buck Futler,' into future editions?  You don't need to spell it out sequentially.  Maybe secret code, where each paragraph starts with the letters, coming together to form such an accurate assessment of our feelings towards Futler?   I do love that my sport is probably one of the only Valpo programs, which has a winning record against Futler.

Haha. It's a big Valpo/Butler weekend with football, baseball and tennis all playing the Bulldogs, plus men's golf is at the Butler Invitational early next week. Let's hope for all victories!

bb33

Looks likely for a pitching duel on Friday between Fields and Hammel.   Should be fun to watch.

valpotx

Yes, it will be interesting to see how we perform at DBU!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Dallas Baptist video announcer: "Please disregard the Crusaders name on the front of the Valpo uniform. They are no longer the Crusaders."

That works.

VUGrad1314

Early Baseball America Projection has the MVC as a two bid league with DBU and Indiana State getting in DBU is a projected 3 seed in the TCU regional (#14 National seed) and Indiana State is a projected 2 seed in the Notre Dame regional (#8 National Seed)

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2021-ncaa-baseball-tournament-projected-field-of-64-4721/

valpotx

The MVC is a very solid baseball league, having secured 3 bids on multiple occasions.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on April 16, 2021, 01:32:02 AM
The MVC is a very solid baseball league, having secured 3 bids on multiple occasions.

I understand how DBU or Oral Roberts in a previous life, draw better players because of the weather.  Having said that, how is Indiana State ranked in the top 25 and we just aren't very good?  Both baseball and softball are bad to really bad.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vu72 on April 16, 2021, 08:12:11 AM
Quote from: valpotx on April 16, 2021, 01:32:02 AMThe MVC is a very solid baseball league, having secured 3 bids on multiple occasions.
I understand how DBU or Oral Roberts in a previous life, draw better players because of the weather.  Having said that, how is Indiana State ranked in the top 25 and we just aren't very good?  Both baseball and softball are bad to really bad.

We've never really been a baseball school and the MVC is by far and away the best league for baseball we've ever been in. It could be coaching investment facilities or they just are having a great stretch recruiting the right players. I remember Indiana State being decent a lot of years though although I don't follow college baseball super closely (especially prior to us joining the Valley). I think it's possible that our recruiting just hasn't caught up. Weather probably doesn't help but neither does our reputation as a program which is not exactly known for winning championships in baseball. That two year run we had in 2012 and 2013 where we made the NCAA Tournament both years were our first appearances since 1968 and 2012 is the only time we've won a conference championship in baseball.

bb33

From what I can tell, our biggest weakness is our hitting.  If we find a way to hit, we are competitive.  But some days all we do is strike out. No amount of pitching or fielding can overcome lack of hitting.  You need at least one to win.    We have a lot of good pieces. I am an optimist so hopefully we can put it all together. Maybe because I was born a Cubs fan -- it's survival mode.  This weekend series is going to be tough. Indiana State has build quite the program.  Hopeful to take at least one.

For softball, I have heard that it would be helpful for a change at the top.  (I have not heard that about baseball.)

valpo64

Are you sure that you are not confusing the Valpo team with the Cubs?

valpotx

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 16, 2021, 08:42:26 AM
Quote from: vu72 on April 16, 2021, 08:12:11 AM
Quote from: valpotx on April 16, 2021, 01:32:02 AMThe MVC is a very solid baseball league, having secured 3 bids on multiple occasions.

We've never really been a baseball school and the MVC is by far and away the best league for baseball we've ever been in. It could be coaching investment facilities or they just are having a great stretch recruiting the right players. I remember Indiana State being decent a lot of years though although I don't follow college baseball super closely (especially prior to us joining the Valley). I think it's possible that our recruiting just hasn't caught up. Weather probably doesn't help but neither does our reputation as a program which is not exactly known for winning championships in baseball. That two year run we had in 2012 and 2013 where we made the NCAA Tournament both years were our first appearances since 1968 and 2012 is the only time we've won a conference championship in baseball.

I believe that Baseball has the most conference championships of any sport at Valpo :).  I get that you are talking about recent, but we've always been competitive.  We don't usually get blown out in Baseball.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

We narrowly avoid being no hit in the first game today.  With 1 out in the top of the 7th (7 inning game, due to DH), our pinch hitter gets a key hit down the RF line.  We will still lose big in this one, but at least not a no hitter.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bb33

I kept switching between this game and the football game.  Great to see football win.  Hopefully tomorrow will be our day on the diamond.  We just need to hit.  I think we still have some pitchers for tomorrow.

I will be following this game and the soccer game.  Hopefully they both win and make my Sunday....or at least one of them.

I don't understand what we gain by pitching Rhodehouse for two innings.  It seems like a waste.