• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2022 Baseball

Started by valpotx, February 15, 2022, 04:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Nice write up to start the season, and it sounds like a lot of optimism around the program.  Similar to Volleyball, Women's Basketball, Men's Basketball, and Softball, the MVC is a premier conference for a mid-major.  If we do some things in the non-conference, and finish top 3 of the MVC, we have a legitimate shot at an at-large, every single season in Baseball.  Also, how cool is it that the team did not have a single transfer out?

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2021-22/21061/season-preview-valpo-baseball-poised-to-build-on-solid-finish-to-2021-campaign/
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on February 15, 2022, 04:26:09 AM
Nice write up to start the season, and it sounds like a lot of optimism around the program.  Similar to Volleyball, Women's Basketball, Men's Basketball, and Softball, the MVC is a premier conference for a mid-major.  If we do some things in the non-conference, and finish top 3 of the MVC, we have a legitimate shot at an at-large, every single season in Baseball.  Also, how cool is it that the team did not have a single transfer out?

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2021-22/21061/season-preview-valpo-baseball-poised-to-build-on-solid-finish-to-2021-campaign/

Something the article left out among all the optimism:

[tweet]1488565178979520528[/tweet]

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

After getting one hit in our opener at Memphis, we drop game two by 1, after holding the lead through 6 innings.  Onward and upward!
"Don't mess with Texas"

NotBryceDrew

Baseball took 2/2 today 3 straight. Valpotx gonna be very happy!

valpotx

Yes, good victory over Memphis in game 3 last week, and any time that you get 2 against a Southern team in February, that is huge!  To be 3-2 at this point is a good sign.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Same with my Softball comment, we are off to a great start at 5-3.  I read that it is the best start since the 1998-1999 season, which is the season before I joined the program, and was when we lost to ORU in the Mid-Con tournament championship game, but had a winning record. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Nice 4 game split against future MVC member Murray State, to take us to 7-9.
"Don't mess with Texas"

chgovalpofan

Fun having TK in the box.   

vu72

Looks like a sweep of St. Bonnie today. Amazing that their are no seniors playing and the starting lineup is all freshman and sophomores!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Exactly, and a top 60 RPI, which is third in the MVC.  VU72, remember when you said that Baseball needed to step up? ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

You can tell that the announcer is used to Softball at Valpo, as he just mentioned the 10 run rule as being in effect after 7, but unless there was a rule change in the last 10 years, there is no such thing in College Baseball.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Ah yes, he clarified that it has to be agreed upon by both coaches prior to the game, but I've never seen anyone agree to such a thing.  In college, you can easily go on a run over a few innings, to catch-up from down 10. I remember during my redshirt year, in the conference tournament, we were down by 9-10, and ended up winning 20-13 over WIU.

Since TK was in the box, did I miss anything about him coming back next season? :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on March 25, 2022, 05:42:01 PM
Exactly, and a top 60 RPI, which is third in the MVC.  VU72, remember when you said that Baseball needed to step up? ;)

Can't imagine saying such a thing!  ;)  Glad they are on the right track!

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Brandon

Quote from: valpotx on March 25, 2022, 06:04:17 PMAh yes, he clarified that it has to be agreed upon by both coaches prior to the game, but I've never seen anyone agree to such a thing.  In college, you can easily go on a run over a few innings, to catch-up from down 10. I remember during my redshirt year, in the conference tournament, we were down by 9-10, and ended up winning 20-13 over WIU.

For all of our conference games, the 10-run rule is in play as 10 after seven is a Missouri Valley Conference baseball rule. It's a good rule. For nonconference games, the 10-run rule is at the discretion of the coaches. Most of the time, it's not in play for nonconference, but sometimes the coaches will agree to it before the game, especially for a midweek game in the middle of the conference season where the coaches may want to save pitching for the weekend if the game gets out of hand.

valpotx

Quote from: Brandon on March 26, 2022, 12:20:21 PM
Quote from: valpotx on March 25, 2022, 06:04:17 PMAh yes, he clarified that it has to be agreed upon by both coaches prior to the game, but I've never seen anyone agree to such a thing.  In college, you can easily go on a run over a few innings, to catch-up from down 10. I remember during my redshirt year, in the conference tournament, we were down by 9-10, and ended up winning 20-13 over WIU.

For all of our conference games, the 10-run rule is in play as 10 after seven is a Missouri Valley Conference baseball rule. It's a good rule. For nonconference games, the 10-run rule is at the discretion of the coaches. Most of the time, it's not in play for nonconference, but sometimes the coaches will agree to it before the game, especially for a midweek game in the middle of the conference season where the coaches may want to save pitching for the weekend if the game gets out of hand.

Why is it a good rule?  Unless two teams are completely mismatched in talent, anyone can overcome a 10 run lead in 2 innings, using metal bats...
"Don't mess with Texas"

Brandon

Quote from: valpotx on March 26, 2022, 04:00:59 PM
Quote from: Brandon on March 26, 2022, 12:20:21 PM

Why is it a good rule?  Unless two teams are completely mismatched in talent, anyone can overcome a 10 run lead in 2 innings, using metal bats...

Sure, those comebacks could happen, but I think they are much more rare than you think. When they play out the final two innings of a 10-run game, both teams empty the bench and the trailing team won't use any of their top bullpen arms (especially if it's Game 1 of a series), so it usually goes from bad to worse. The rule saves everyone time and pitching. If you want to win, don't get down by 10 runs through seven.

valpotx

Those are little kid rules.  We didn't have that in college, "back in my day" :).  PO, here we go again, coddling Gen Z ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

chgovalpofan

You could argue that if you are losing by that much you give opportunity to younger less developed players to see the field, who aren't your go to guys.  I have yet to see us use all our pitching in a series.  Maybe our best pitching, but not all.  They are all working hard to improve, and some players are gamers.  Great chance to give them a shot. Better than just stopping play, IMHO.

valpotx

With the 2 games to 1 series win against UIC, we are now 11-11.  Apparently this is our best record, through this many games, since 1998!  It is always tough to start with a winning or 0.500 record as a cold weather Baseball team, so this is quite an accomplishment!
"Don't mess with Texas"