• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Men's Soccer supports St. Baldrick's Children cancer Foundation

Started by VULB#62, April 03, 2012, 06:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Thought the forum needed to have this piece about a fund raiser by the MSO.  Lot's heads got shaved including President Heckler's and some of the WSO players in support of the fight against kids' cancer. Over 70 men and women went bald at the event.  This is the second annual event.  Last year they raised around $4000.  This year over $20,000.  This is one of two charities MSO raises funds for -- super job guys!  Also, great to see the VU President participating -- great leadership.

Here's the FlickR URL to about 20 pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/valparaiso_university/sets/72157629703264523/with/7030123597/

sectionee

I heard President Heckler was the first university president to participates in this event....ever.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: sectionee on April 03, 2012, 07:11:27 PM
I heard President Heckler was the first university president to participates in this event....ever.

he's done things that would have never happened in a million years under harre. from the annual water balloon war against provost schwehn, to switching roles with a student for a day, to taking pies in the face, to something like this. and he's so much more approachable from a student perspective than harre was. harre was great in many ways, but student interaction/active program support was not one of them.

VULB#62

There was this guy, O.P Kretzman, a while back.  Some of you may remember him.  For others, he might be before you came to Valpo, but, honest truth, students would walk through walls for the man. And he seemed to be everywhere.  Looks like we've got ourselves another one.   :)

Kinda cool too that we have a championship D-I sports program on campus that finds the time and has the underlying mission to give back to the community and the world.  Makes me proud.