• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball @ UIC

Started by jetz, April 04, 2012, 09:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

Must win series to stay in the HL hunt.  Thursday start due to Easter Sunday.  Both team's starters going on one day less rest.  We need to give ours some run support....GO VALPO!   :thumbsup:
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

jetz

Brutal conditions, but they toughed it out and won a big game.  The top two teams in the regular season get byes in the tournament.  That's what we need to get now.  There's a group tied for second now at 5-5 in the conference.  Nice to win yet another one run contest--we are now 5-9 in such games.  I think the SID said on the blog last night that this was our eighth extra inning game of the year, and from what I gather the longest since they've been keeping records.  It was only the second for UIC.  Bet Valpo wishes they would've booked a hotel now!  Need a series win today.  GO VALPO!

valporun

Tonight's and tomorrow's games will be available to listen to on the Valpo website. I said to Ryan last night that it would have been nice to have the UIC call of the game at least, but apparently the UIC broadcaster is working Cubs games this weekend, which doesn't make sense of yesterday being a 1:20 start that was done around 4, then today being a day off in the schedule. (The Opening Day/Day Off thing is MLB covering their hides on rain/snow outs on scheduled Opening Day, and now probably ESPN balancing out what teams they want to show opening up.) I don't see why they couldn't have had someone step in for him on an internet-only basis last night. It was a game that would have been nice to have some audio for.

Wild should be pitching tonight, and I'm not sure we'll see Millar tonight, as he thru 4-5 innings in relief last night.

valpotx

Good to see a 'gut it out' victory where we came back a few times.  Let's continue the momentum we gain from winning an emotional game like that into two more victories!
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Hopefully they have thawed out by now.  Very windy last night and still a good breeze today.  It'll be another challenge for both teams today.  Another pitcher's game is likely.  Sounds like Yoder hit a couple of balls that the wind kept in the ballpark last night.  Miller is done for today.  Walsh is probably out as well.  Upp only threw one pitch,and Mahar may still have some left.  The pen will have to step up.  Some new guys may get significant innings.  Need another quality start from Wild...

vu72

Apparently we shouldn't feel too bad about losing to Wright State as they just be YSU 32-4 :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuweathernerd

Quote from: vu72 on April 06, 2012, 03:35:43 PM
Apparently we shouldn't feel too bad about losing to Wright State as they just be YSU 32-4 :o

this just in: effective after this season, a 10-run mercy rule will be implemented in baseball to prevent further embarassment to ysu athletics  ;)

valporun

There already is a 10-run mercy rule, but what are you supposed to do when the blowout begins before the inning where the slaughtering can end?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valporun on April 06, 2012, 06:02:59 PM
There already is a 10-run mercy rule, but what are you supposed to do when the blowout begins before the inning where the slaughtering can end?

i was only kidding around with that suggestion. i didn't think it was real in college.

just looked at the box score. 24-1 after 3 innings, and 30-1 after 5? ouch. wsu went 23-49 (only .469) and picked up 11 walks.

mgovalpo

No mercy rule in baseball like there is in softball. The teams have to play it out to the end. There was an NCAA tournament game a few years ago between Florida State and Ohio State that finished 27-2. Some times, that's just the way it is.

VUfan

valpotx

Quote from: mgovalpo on April 06, 2012, 07:39:00 PM
No mercy rule in baseball like there is in softball. The teams have to play it out to the end. There was an NCAA tournament game a few years ago between Florida State and Ohio State that finished 27-2. Some times, that's just the way it is.

Correct, there were always games like that against Chicago State, where we just had to continue playing until the end.  Games like that can be so boring, you just want it to end on both sides.  However, the hitters aren't going to just strike out or bunt for outs, because it affects their average  :).

Another good outing by our starting pitching today, and we will be in good position if we sweep tomorrow!
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

Correction, there is no mandatory 10-run rule in NCAA baseball. Straight from the 2011-12 NCAA Baseball Rule Book (5.8.b.4)

By conference rule, or mutual consent of both coaches before the beginning of the contest, a game may be stopped after seven innings if one team is ahead by at least 10 runs.

I believe the Horizon League has not implemented this, so no help for YSU. Valpo has used this recently for non-conference home games, especially those blowouts vs. Chicago State a couple years back.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

jetz

For us, the one run thing continues.  It's actually amazing.  I think that's eight out of the last nine, and the one that wasn't was a 4-2 loss to Wright State.  Seven hits last night for both teams.  Still waiting for the hitters to show up...Separately, Andrew Bain has about 38 or so hits on the year, and last night got his first extra base knock--a one out triple to the left center gap.  We left him stranded on third...Wormington is 1-4 despite a bunch of quality starts.  It would be nice to get him a win today...The weather was much better last night--not near as cold or windy as Thursday--and today will be nice--mid 60s and sunny.  The backdrop of the Chicago skyline at the all turf UIC field is spectacular, especially with the bright blue sky.  GO VALPO!  8)

KL31NY

Another one-run game, but a loss this time 3-2. Gotta get more offense for these starters that are working their behinds off to go deep into games and still pitch effectively.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpotx

UIC does have a really nice skyline view from the batter's box.  I am sure that is a selling point to some athletes. 

In regards to the 10-run rule, it is rarely used by teams.  We beat Chicago State by 15-20 many times when I was playing, and never stopped the game.  I imagine it had to do with getting work in to reserves.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

valpotx, did the Mid-Con allow the mercy rule then? Even if destroying Chicago St. by 15-20 got some reserves a start or some innings, did the Mid-Con allow for the mercy rule?

valpotx

I don't remember there even being a game where it was used, if it was a possibility.  Chicago State lost a lot of games to all teams by 15-20+, and they all seemed to go the distance. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Good win over WMU yesterday.  Could have been worse for the Broncos...we had bases loaded, no out and did not score in the third.  I think that's at least twice this season we've done that.   >:(  On a positive note, we bunted the ball well yesterday--something that we've been inconsistent with.  Even got four base hits that way....Need a sweep at YSU this weekend.  GO VALPO!

valpotx

Yes, we have a very good chance at sweeping YSU.  The Penguins used to be competitive when they were in the Mid-Con with us, but seem to have taken over for Cleveland State as the whipping boy of Horizon baseball.
"Don't mess with Texas"