• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball @ YSU

Started by jetz, April 11, 2012, 10:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

Need to get a series sweep this weekend at YSU.  It would be nice to break out and score some runs in each game.  (We don't have to score 32, but double digits would be OK.)  All three games are streamed with live video through the Horizon League Network.  BTW, check out the HLN "Rundown" feature every week--that's their weekly highlight show.  The Valpo baseball team is the only team in the league with video highlights--provided by yours truly.  I won't be at this weekend's games, however, so I hope the live video feed works well.  Also, I'm interested to see about Will Hagel's availability in left this weekend.  He was a dinged a little in yesterday's game and removed.  Mark Johnson took his place in the lineup. 
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

vuweathernerd

Quote from: jetz on April 11, 2012, 10:35:33 AM
Need to get a series sweep this weekend at YSU.  It would be nice to break out and score some runs in each game.  (We don't have to score 32, but double digits would be OK.)  All three games are streamed with live video through the Horizon League Network.  BTW, check out the HLN "Rundown" feature every week--that's their weekly highlight show.  The Valpo baseball team is the only team in the league with video highlights--provided by yours truly.  I won't be at this weekend's games, however, so I hope the live video feed works well.  Also, I'm interested to see about Will Hagel's availability in left this weekend.  He was a dinged a little in yesterday's game and removed.  Mark Johnson took his place in the lineup. 

i'll take 32 runs in each game. :) let's go guys, get some wins!

jetz

The video was decent and I thought the play by play guy was adequate. Like I said on the live chat, the color guy reminded me of the color man in the championship game of the movie "Dodgeball"--a semi-stoner surfer dude with the monotone voice with comments that made him the master of the obvious.  "Right you are, Cotton."  The guy cracks me up  8) ...Good win but it got closer than it needed to be at the end.  YSU had the winning run at the plate in the 9th.  Let's lock up the series tomorrow...

vuweathernerd

Quote from: jetz on April 13, 2012, 04:37:00 PM
The video was decent and I thought the play by play guy was adequate. Like I said on the live chat, the color guy reminded me of the color man in the championship game of the movie "Dodgeball"--a semi-stoner surfer dude with the monotone voice with comments that made him the master of the obvious.  "Right you are, Cotton."  The guy cracks me up  8) ...Good win but it got closer than it needed to be at the end.  YSU had the winning run at the plate in the 9th.  Let's lock up the series tomorrow...

that dude was awesome! love that movie! haha. good to see at least one of my teams win today...

jetz

Rock solid again from Wild.  He's looked great for the last six outings.  Five hits through eight innings today, and we win the series.  Now for the sweep...

valpotx

Hopefully gives us some good momentum going into the second half of conference!  Good sweep guys!
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

@ ISU last night--Entertaining game to watch...two Valpo ejections resulting in the DH having to play defense, Woodson then had to play NL manager with his pitchers.  Both teams had multiple chances to win it, but either failed or were victimized by great defense--Valpo thrown out twice at the plate by the center fielder, then had another runner caught in a pickle between third and home--and Bain bare handing a one hopper that looked like a sure hit up the middle and flipping to second to get the last out in the 15th with the bases loaded to extend the game.  Nerve racking 4.5 hours but good entertainment.  Too bad it had to end on a throwing error.  ISU got 3 votes in the last coaches poll and is now 29-9--we can certainly beat quality teams.  Now back home for Butler this weekend.  We are alone in second place in the HL and need to put distance between us and third.  GO VALPO!

valpotx

What were the ejections for?  I was watching the live stats, and it seemed like a well pitched game with good defense
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

In about the 7th, Vavra hit an infield ground ball and and the first base ump called him safe at first, saying the first baseman was bobbling the ball on the throw.  ISU coach came out to argue, and the first base ump conferred with the home plate ump, who overruled the original call AND CALLED VAVRA OUT!!  (I can say I've never seen this call overturned before.) Now Woodson argued, but did not get tossed.  A batter or two later, we had another runner called out--probably correctly--at first on a close play.  After that call, the first base ump ejected Vavra, who was in the dugout.  The ump heard something, but I found out later that it was not Vavra who said it.  In any case, the ump apparently ejected Vavra, who is out for the first Butler game Friday as well, and one other person.  The blogger there at the game said it was the pitching coach, Coach Schmack.  That was never verified but I noted that in the last inning of the game a meeting at the mound was held, and Schmack was not there.  He always has been in the past.  In general, Valpo had several key calls go against them from last night's crew.  I know they were less than happy with the umping after the game.

valpotx

Sounds similar to the refs at basketball games where we play against the MVC teams!  Must be some type of MVC-trained bias  ;).  The sad thing is that because of my baseball experience, if I find out that someone is an umpire, I almost immediately get a little disdain for them lol.  It shouldn't be that way, I know, but I can't help it!
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpo1b

Quote from: jetz on April 18, 2012, 12:19:21 PMIn general, Valpo had several key calls go against them from last night's crew.  I know they were less than happy with the umping after the game.

It's that way every time you go to ISU. They get awful umps, and always have. Although, Bob Warn did get ejected on one of my doubles there. Hit right on the line, ump called it fair, and Warn went ballistic. Ump refused to change his call and threw him out. The ISU fans had some interesting things to say about that...

valpotx

I was looking at ISU's wiki page and saw something I never knew.  I would never have thought John Wooden coached basketball and baseball at Indiana State for 2 years before moving to UCLA.
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on April 19, 2012, 01:57:10 PM
I was looking at ISU's wiki page and saw something I never knew.  I would never have thought John Wooden coached basketball and baseball at Indiana State for 2 years before moving to UCLA.
" In addition to his duties as basketball coach, Wooden also coached baseball and served as athletic director,[2][3] all while teaching and completing his master's degree in Education."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wooden

Interesting, had not heard that before.  I could see this being attributed to time at Dayton HS (Kentucky) or South Bend Central HS, but seems odd for ISU.