• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VALPO TO BE OPEN IN THE FALL!!

Started by vu72, May 15, 2020, 12:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Valpo has decided it will open a week early on August 17 and finish its fall semester final exams before Thanksgiving, November 24, with no fall break. Original schedule had classes start on August 24 and the semester finals ending December 18 with commencement December 20.

VUGrad1314

Following in the footsteps of many universities. Seems to be the national consensus. Hope it's the right one.

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 21, 2020, 07:49:08 PM
Following in the footsteps of many universities. Seems to be the national consensus. Hope it's the right one.

Speaking of "following in the footsteps," apparently U. of California's campuses no longer require prospective students to take the SAT or ACT.  I'm sitting here wondering if my alma mater (and Valpo) should be following suit, especially given the current environment.  Any thoughts?

BTW, I understand generally why universities require the SAT/ACT and how they use them. What I don't understand is why, if they're deemed to be so important, the U. of California's huge public system has decided they don't need them at all. Also, if I recall correctly, someone on this board said Valpo's acceptance rate is something like 85%. Doesn't that mean they're not that far from accepting everyone, regardless of SAT/ACT scores? 

U. of California Officially Removes SAT and ACT Requirements for Admission

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/05/22/u-of-california-officially-removes-sat-and-act-requirements-for-admission/

valpo64

I'm not sure I want to have anything that is "California".   :)

vu84v2

Not sure what Valpo's acceptance rate is, but I would imagine that it is pretty high. However, it is important to keep in mind that acceptance to the university and acceptance to specific programs can have very different criteria. While I am not sure that engineering (for example) can say that they require SATs or ACTs if the university were to not require them, they are going to make darn sure that you have a reasonable chance of handling heavy quantitative work. Thus, if a student wants to get into engineering, they may want to take either of those exams to show their strength in the quantitative side.

Of course, "those exams are culturally biased" (Neon Boudeaux)

FWalum

Wake Forest made SAT/ACT test submission optional over 10 years ago. They have a 27.6% acceptance rate.

Quote from the school regarding this change:

QuoteIn May of 2008, Wake Forest announced that it would no longer require applicants  to submit scores in standardized tests such as the SAT or the ACT.  The policy went into effect with the class that entered in the Fall of 2009, and we're very glad we made the move. Ethnic diversity in the undergraduate population increased by 68 percent from Fall 2008, the final year in which scores were required, to the Fall of 2018. Furthermore, there has been no difference in academic achievement at Wake Forest between those who submitted scores and those who declined to do so.

Interesting fact about Wake Forest considering our recent move out of the Regional University classification.
QuoteWake Forest is the only college in the history of the U.S. News rankings to advance from classification as a Regional University to the Top 30 of the National Universities list. It combines the facilities of a research institution with a degree of faculty engagement most often associated with small liberal arts colleges. To put it another way: Yes, you can have it all.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu84v2

Another issue that universities are starting to grapple with is liability and the ability of people to seek damages on the university. There has been some discussion nationally on this in regards to manufacturing and a little discussion on restaurants. But this is going to be a big issue for universities. My understanding is that few, if any, insurance companies are going to write policies to cover potential damage claims from students or employees who get sick from COVID-19 on campus. This leaves two options. The first is to have all students sign waivers - which I think would be flatly rejected by many students and could make the university look bad within and outside its community. The second option is that the state passes a law which prevents claims. I am not one to say "well pass a law" very often, but this is probably what is needed. However, a danger for private universities is that the state could pass such a law to protect its state universities more than its private universities.

JD24

Maybe some legal eagles can chime in but I'm not sure a waiver and, in particular, a state law would be ironclad enough to protect entities from lawsuits.

vu84v2

Quote from: JD24 on May 28, 2020, 01:13:13 PM
Maybe some legal eagles can chime in but I'm not sure a waiver and, in particular, a state law would be ironclad enough to protect entities from lawsuits.

I fully agree that nothing would be ironclad, but something will be needed to provide as much protection as possible from lawsuits.

usc4valpo

For the record, California has some of best state universities in the Country. Cal-Berkeley, UC SanDiego and UCLA are highly ranked.

David81

I think it's fair to say that, at most schools -- probably including VU, but perhaps excepting the schools that have fully committed to an online fall -- this is a work in progress that (1) won't get fully resolved and sorted until later this summer and (2) may have to turn on a dime if infection rates surge or a hotspot emerges.

Mostly via Facebook, I've been reading informal reports from academic colleagues across the country, and schools are all over the place on this. By necessity it's a very fluid situation, based on type of institution, risk tolerance, location, resources, etc. Meanwhile, public announcements from colleges, as some have suggested, may sound more resolute than they actually are because of other agendas, such as keeping enrollment yield and trying to reassure students & parents that the institutions are on top of things.

Also, keep in mind that the logistics of creating a safe campus environment for students and employees are significant. And you may be surprised at how many students are requesting accommodations vis a vis online learning options due to pre-existing health conditions (diabetes, asthma, etc.) that put them at greater risk if they catch COVID-19. So it's quite the administrative and instructional challenge to balance all of these valid priorities.

VU75

The University Of Illinois has the most ambitious plan so far.  They are working on testing all students, a contact trace program, and setting up isolation dorms to quarantine students that have can't go home.

vu84v2

Quote from: David81 on May 29, 2020, 08:54:21 AM
I think it's fair to say that, at most schools -- probably including VU, but perhaps excepting the schools that have fully committed to an online fall -- this is a work in progress that (1) won't get fully resolved and sorted until later this summer and (2) may have to turn on a dime if infection rates surge or a hotspot emerges.

Mostly via Facebook, I've been reading informal reports from academic colleagues across the country, and schools are all over the place on this. By necessity it's a very fluid situation, based on type of institution, risk tolerance, location, resources, etc. Meanwhile, public announcements from colleges, as some have suggested, may sound more resolute than they actually are because of other agendas, such as keeping enrollment yield and trying to reassure students & parents that the institutions are on top of things.

Also, keep in mind that the logistics of creating a safe campus environment for students and employees are significant. And you may be surprised at how many students are requesting accommodations vis a vis online learning options due to pre-existing health conditions (diabetes, asthma, etc.) that put them at greater risk if they catch COVID-19. So it's quite the administrative and instructional challenge to balance all of these valid priorities.

I cannot speak for all universities, but the one that I work for (as well as Valparaiso- I think) are very resolute. There is no difference between what they are saying publicly and the actions being taken internally. They know that they may need to suddenly change and are accounting for that, but the clear focus is on face-to-face as much as possible.

Great point on accommodations, and I would go further that universities need to also accommodate students who start feeling sick or have had some exposure. My view is that all classes need to be held f2f with class sessions assessable remotely (live and recorded). Thus, you have the highest value offering (in person) and do the best you can to provide value to those who cannot attend in person.

Lastly....supplies are going to be critical for many businesses reopening and they are going to be critical for universities. I was on a call yesterday and it was clear that the availability of cleaning supplies, protective equipment large (e.g. plexiglass) and small (e.g. masks), and testing materials is woefully short of what is needed. I am very dubious that this situation is going to change in the next two to three months.

vu72

Valpo should be in very good shape particularly with Scheele off line but no doubt available for quarantine if nothing else.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

David81

Quote from: vu84v2 on May 29, 2020, 12:02:04 PM
Quote from: David81 on May 29, 2020, 08:54:21 AM

I cannot speak for all universities, but the one that I work for (as well as Valparaiso- I think) are very resolute. There is no difference between what they are saying publicly and the actions being taken internally. They know that they may need to suddenly change and are accounting for that, but the clear focus is on face-to-face as much as possible.

Great point on accommodations, and I would go further that universities need to also accommodate students who start feeling sick or have had some exposure. My view is that all classes need to be held f2f with class sessions assessable remotely (live and recorded). Thus, you have the highest value offering (in person) and do the best you can to provide value to those who cannot attend in person.

Lastly....supplies are going to be critical for many businesses reopening and they are going to be critical for universities. I was on a call yesterday and it was clear that the availability of cleaning supplies, protective equipment large (e.g. plexiglass) and small (e.g. masks), and testing materials is woefully short of what is needed. I am very dubious that this situation is going to change in the next two to three months.

Excellent point, the supplies thing is huge. Heh, here in Boston, it's still hard to get toilet paper and hand sanitizer at the local CVS. I can only imagine thousands of colleges competing nationally with private, public, and non-profit institutions for all of these necessary supplies.

Another consideration: Too many central admins who do not teach have the wrongheaded idea that a professor can be teach effectively while simultaneously juggling multiple media teaching platforms: (1) f2f LIVE with very likely everyone wearing masks, spread out over large classrooms; and (2) online LIVE with students using the Zoom app to "raise" their hand with questions; and (3) while keeping in mind that other students may be watching an ASYNCHRONOUS recording. Modalities (1) and (2), in particular, may be incompatible for many courses. That combo works only if one is simply shoveling content.

vu84v2

David81 - Very good points and you sound like a conscientious teacher. I have taught MBA classes a few times with in-person students, remote live students, and the recording available for asynchronous. I was surprised how well it worked - but I also did it in a room setup for it. The A/V equipment just "turned on" at the beginning of class time and "turned off" at the end. You are right that teaching while having to run media platforms could be very challenging.

valpopal

In related information, it has been decided that Valparaiso's Homecoming is canceled this year.

vu84v2

Valpo's plan for opening in the fall. Certainly a number of details that need to be worked out, but looks like a well-conceived plan.

https://www.valpo.edu/looking-forward/files/2020/06/06092020Safety-Plan-Valpo.pdf

A few of the many points in the plan:
-The university does not seem to be planning to do its own testing. This is probably reasonable given the size of the university, but continuity (for courses/faculty, for students, etc.) may be affected by lag times in getting test results.
-It is not decided yet whether intercollegiate athletics will start on time, but if they do they will start with no fans in attendance.

VUGrad1314

That's probably what the MVC presidents meeting this week is mostly about: how to restart athletics now that the COVID restrictions are being lifted to set the plan for the future.

vu72

Quote from: vu84v2 on June 10, 2020, 07:43:20 PM
Valpo's plan for opening in the fall. Certainly a number of details that need to be worked out, but looks like a well-conceived plan.

https://www.valpo.edu/looking-forward/files/2020/06/06092020Safety-Plan-Valpo.pdf

A few of the many points in the plan:
-The university does not seem to be planning to do its own testing. This is probably reasonable given the size of the university, but continuity (for courses/faculty, for students, etc.) may be affected by lag times in getting test results.
-It is not decided yet whether intercollegiate athletics will start on time, but if they do they will start with no fans in attendance.

Wow!  What an incredible document.  So well thought out and complete.  Obviously, this will be very expensive and we should all pray Valpo can absorb these costs and remain viable.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015