• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What do you make of this?

Started by vu72, September 01, 2020, 10:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mj

I'm not happy that Valpo is going in this direction. Valpo's reputation is one of its most valuable assets and I worry it's at risk. Look what happened to the law school. It chased easy money by increasing enrollment and admitting unqualified students. The reputation of the school plummeted until it was forced to close.

I realize the current situation might be driving Valpo's decision making here. But then I think how we're feeling pressure to do so because of the financial situation of the university. VU extended itself financially and went on a building spree because Heckler thought we could get up to 6,000 students. It's becoming obvious that was a mistake.

QuoteOrbis Education would assist Valpo in establishing and managing hybrid (online and ground-based) nursing and related healthcare programs of Valpo at two sites located in the Midwest United States.

The reference to two sites also caught my eye. Is that two additional sites not on campus? If so, I'm not thrilled about creating satellite campuses.
I believe that we will win.

wh

As a member of the local community, I see this as a potential bridge to bring Valparaiso University and the community at-large in NWI together for the first time ever.  Suddenly, non-traditional students will have a local option other than PNW or IUN to finish their education. While I'm sure that Valpo's tuition will be more, they will offer more flexible, accelerated hybrid/online options.  I also think many local students will see a Valparaiso University degree as more prestigious than a state extension school degree. Moreover, Valpo's campus is more attractive, it has a D-a basketball program, national reputation and standing, etc. The more local students, the more local alumni, the more the bridge grows.  Well, you get the point...

valpo95

Quote from: mj on September 03, 2020, 08:10:03 AM

The reference to two sites also caught my eye. Is that two additional sites not on campus? If so, I'm not thrilled about creating satellite campuses.

I think the College of Nursing has partnerships with institutions in St. Louis, Ft. Wayne and Cleveland - not sure if these are hospitals or health systems, yet it is possible they have satellite programs where nursing students can complete their practicums and/or register for a course that is not taught in residence in Valparaiso.

wh

wh

Grand Canyon Education (LOPE) Q4 2020 Earnings Call Transcript (2/17/21)

"We continue to have conversations with Valparaiso, but due to recent changes in administration, the completion of the contracts have been delayed. We are excited to have signed an LOU similar to the one with Valparaiso with another university and have reached verbal agreements on the structure of the healthcare and non-healthcare components, which include a revenue share arrangement for the healthcare component, consistent with our other healthcare partners, and a cost-plus component to provide services for some of their graduate online programs."

Interesting Q&A re. the changing education marketplace.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fool.com/amp/earnings/call-transcripts/2021/02/17/grand-canyon-education-lope-q4-2020-earnings-call/

vu84v2

While I have no way of knowing what specifically is going on between GCE and Valparaiso, my hope is that this indicates that Valparaiso is moving towards a partnership/agreement with another OPM. It is important to note that the comment from GCE's CEO is not in response to a question, but was voluntarily offered by the CEO. That means that GCE wanted to make this statement and point out that it has another deal - which may mean that they are trying to manage analysts perceptions regarding a lost deal with Valparaiso.

A few other comments:
-In reading through the script from the analyst call, it is clear that GCE views GCU as part of GCE. Yet, at the same time they make GCU purchase a wide range of services at the prices which GCE wants it to pay, while reporting GCE as a separate publicly traded company. This is akin to Enron, in which shell companies were created to inflate the parent company's financial results. And remember, Brian Mueller is the CEO of GCE AND the President of GCU - which means that he can tell GCU what terms they must accept from GCE.
-The two principals from GCE in the analyst call, Brian Mueller and Dan Bacchus, are the two people who have perpetuated the fraudulent structure and actions of GCE.

valporun

So now that we're well over a year past this...what came to pass with this? Did the deal fall through completely, or was it just a way to increase the number of potentials in health fields that weren't able to attend in person classes while home with kids who were working remotely, while schools were closed, or limiting in-person attendance?

crusader05

I believe this is one of the first things that Padilla pulled the plug on? I believe the reasoning was it would be better to do a handful of on-line programs well in house that served the needs of our local community than try to become a university with a larger on-line component. Hence the Occupational Therapy Doctorate and the on-line RN to BSN program.

David81

I'm glad that grandiose plans to create all of these online programs were put to rest.

As I just said in another thread, this gambit would make VU look more like one of those high-volume, for-profit universities, peddling a large suite of online degree programs to generate revenue.

I agree that a better approach is to develop a handful of distance learning programs drawing on existing strengths. The flexible MBA program, built around a "values-based" leadership theme, is a good example of that.