• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New mobile athletics website

Started by okinawatyphoon, February 07, 2012, 10:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okinawatyphoon

So I went to Valpoathletics.com on my iPad and I noticed it redirected to a mobile page! I then tried it on my smartphone and voila! It looks great and seems very functional. Videos don't seem to work (at least on my Android phone). Is this a known issue? Thanks to whoever put this mobile website together!  :thumbsup:
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

StlVUFan

Hmmm... I just went to valpoathletics.com on my Android and no such redirection took place.

By the way, I'd love to have an app for this message board ;)  Hint, hint...

valpo04

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 07, 2012, 10:42:31 PM
Hmmm... I just went to valpoathletics.com on my Android and no such redirection took place.

We don't have an app, but we do have mobile versions...
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?wap
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?wap2
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?imode

These are all mobile friendly versions of the message board.

agibson

Was there an app for the old board? 

For one or the other, I tried a mobile version, but didn't find it particularly helpful.  From my iPod touch, I preferred to use the regular web version.

valpo04

Quote from: agibson on February 08, 2012, 10:14:02 AM

For one or the other, I tried a mobile version, but didn't find it particularly helpful.  From my iPod touch, I preferred to use the regular web version.

No, there wasn't an app.  The mobile versions of this board are generally geared for those who aren't on smart phones.  If you have a smart phone, the regular site should load fine.

valpo04

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 07, 2012, 10:42:31 PM

Ask and you shall receive... http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=615.msg9787#msg9787

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpo04 on February 08, 2012, 01:48:40 PM

No, there wasn't an app.  The mobile versions of this board are generally geared for those who aren't on smart phones.  If you have a smart phone, the regular site should load fine.

It does work fine on my Android, except that it's so tiny and input is a little klunky, because I'm not quite zoom savvy yet with my Android.  I'd rather not have to figure out how to zoom it or flip my phone and hope it senses what I want.  That's why I was hoping for an app ;)  But indeed with my old Palm Treo the only thing I could do was read.

I found that if I visited valpoathletics with my Firefox app it didn't switch over, but if I visited with my Internet app, it did.  At the same time, I followed a link and it was suddenly back to the non-mobile site, so I'd say their work's not done yet.

historyman

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 08, 2012, 04:05:48 PM

It does work fine on my Android, except that it's so tiny and input is a little klunky, because I'm not quite zoom savvy yet with my Android.  I'd rather not have to figure out how to zoom it or flip my phone and hope it senses what I want.  That's why I was hoping for an app ;)  But indeed with my old Palm Treo the only thing I could do was read.

I found that if I visited valpoathletics with my Firefox app it didn't switch over, but if I visited with my Internet app, it did.  At the same time, I followed a link and it was suddenly back to the non-mobile site, so I'd say their work's not done yet.

Huh? What?

StlVUFan

Quote from: historyman on February 08, 2012, 08:35:43 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 08, 2012, 04:05:48 PM

Huh? What?

Android->FireFox App->"www.valpoathletics.com" = really, really, tiny print that looks exactly like the more readable kind when I do it on my laptop.

Android->Internet App (think Internet Explorer, I suppose, came with the phone whereas I had to download FireFox myself)->"www.valpoathletics.com" = obviously mobile version of website, nice readable letters, smartphone-friendly controls, etc.->tap one of the stories = really, really, tiny print that looks exactly like the more readable kind when I do it on my laptop.

Get it now?

okinawatyphoon

There is also a link at the bottom of both versions of the site to view it in desktop mode or mobile mode.

StlVUFan

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on February 08, 2012, 09:10:14 PM
There is also a link at the bottom of both versions of the site to view it in desktop mode or mobile mode.

I don't see it.

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 08, 2012, 09:13:08 PM

I don't see it.

On the full page, it is very small below the street address of the university at the bottom of the page. Many websites these days will have links to their mobile websites at the bottom.

StlVUFan

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on February 08, 2012, 09:21:59 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 08, 2012, 09:13:08 PM

I don't see it.

On the full page, it is very small below the street address of the university at the bottom of the page. Many websites these days will have links to their mobile websites at the bottom.

OK, now I see it ;)  After zooming so it was big enough for me to tap (carefully), it did go to the mobile site, but it's displaying it in a tiny sliver on the left side of my phone, leaving the rest blank.

Never mind ;)  It's a FireFox thing, probably.