• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Greeks!

Started by setshot, May 03, 2012, 01:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

I understand that the Phi Delta Theta (KIP) chapter on campus is being renewed. Good for them. Now,what is the status of VU's premier fraternity,Theta Chi? Can Valpo's Greeks survive much longer without a Theta Chi presence? Probably not,"So here's to Theta Chi my brothers, may you always be the best fraternity,and we'll all guzzle CV  as we shout Delta Xi,here's to good old Theta Chi." Bring 'em back! :)

vuweathernerd

Quote from: setshot on May 03, 2012, 01:37:04 PM
I understand that the Phi Delta Theta (KIP) chapter on campus is being renewed. Good for them. Now,what is the status of VU's premier fraternity,Theta Chi? Can Valpo's Greeks survive much longer without a Theta Chi presence? Probably not,"So here's to Theta Chi my brothers, may you always be the best fraternity,and we'll all guzzle CV  as we shout Delta Xi,here's to good old Theta Chi." Bring 'em back! :)

they may have been "premier" when you were there. but they were a bunch of asshats during my time. i think the student community as a whole is better off without the organization there.

Valpo2010

Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 03, 2012, 05:49:39 PM

they may have been "premier" when you were there. but they were a bunch of asshats during my time. i think the student community as a whole is better off without the organization there.

Their numbers were really dropping at the end of my time at VU 2006-2010...and as a member of another Greek organization on campus, that was a welcome thought

vuweathernerd

Quote from: Valpo2010 on May 03, 2012, 06:23:12 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 03, 2012, 05:49:39 PM

Their numbers were really dropping at the end of my time at VU 2006-2010...and as a member of another Greek organization on campus, that was a welcome thought

that was my era as well. and the rumors that spread about what kinds of things took place there were rather ridiculous.

vu72

As a Phi Psi I'm wondering about their reputation.  I've heard they are the top of the heap (with the Sig Eps) true??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo2010

Quote from: vu72 on May 03, 2012, 08:19:06 PM
As a Phi Psi I'm wondering about their reputation.  I've heard they are the top of the heap (with the Sig Eps) true??

By the numbers, they were right at the top with Sig Ep during my time

valpospartan

Quote from: vu72 on May 03, 2012, 08:19:06 PM

High high high!

valpotx

Theta Chi members did some terrible things during my time on campus (to women especially), and unfortunately, some of my teammates were always thought about in the same manner as these other scumbags since it was thought of as a 'baseball frat.' 
"Don't mess with Texas"

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpotx on May 04, 2012, 01:48:26 PM
Theta Chi members did some terrible things during my time on campus (to women especially), and unfortunately, some of my teammates were always thought about in the same manner as these other scumbags since it was thought of as a 'baseball frat.' 

it became the 'football frat' before i got there then, i guess. but apparently the perception of them in my time predated that transition, and isn't affected by whatever group claimed the fraternity at the time.

covufan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 04, 2012, 04:29:21 PM
Quote from: valpotx on May 04, 2012, 01:48:26 PM

it became the 'football frat' before i got there then, i guess. but apparently the perception of them in my time predated that transition, and isn't affected by whatever group claimed the fraternity at the time.
They were a 'football fraternity' in the '80s as well.  Dean Olejniczak was a football playing member of Theta Chi in the '80s.  Not sure that he ever lived in the house, as he was an RA for a few years.  He was as well respected then as now.

valpotx

That is interesting, as Phi Delt was the football frat during my time.  I had always figured both had that history, and was why the different sports seemed to gear towards each
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

In the 60's there were undisputedly two jock houses on campus: Phi Delt and Phi Psi.  They split just about all the sports (with a few Theta Chi and PKA and others thrown in).  They also were the dominant houses in the Intrafraternity sports leagues.  The pledge battle was pretty intense between those two as well.  However, Theta Chi had the nicest house, drove the flashiest cars, had a "Playboy" rep and threw some of the more memorable parties in that era  :cheers:

Ralph

Quote from: valpotx on May 04, 2012, 01:48:26 PMTheta Chi members did some terrible things during my time on campus (to women especially), and unfortunately, some of my teammates were always thought about in the same manner as these other scumbags since it was thought of as a 'baseball frat.'

I do not know why the Theta Chis got a rap as the "tough guy meatheads" on campus. 

Every fight I ever saw between a Theta Chi and a Sig Tau was won by the Sig Tau, mopping the floor with the Theta Chi.    :-*

johnny_fetla

There seemed to be a rivalry between TC's and Sig Taus.  Perhaps it was jealousy on TC's part.  Always getting the leftovers from the guys at Sig Taus after they dumped their girlfriends.  At least Sig Taus gave more then and nowadays.  I know of two Sig Taus that have hired a few Theta Chis over the years to do some manual labor.  Funny thing is they still wear their athletic uniforms.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: Ralph on July 06, 2012, 10:52:56 AM
Quote from: valpotx on May 04, 2012, 01:48:26 PMTheta Chi members did some terrible things during my time on campus (to women especially), and unfortunately, some of my teammates were always thought about in the same manner as these other scumbags since it was thought of as a 'baseball frat.'

I do not know why the Theta Chis got a rap as the "tough guy meatheads" on campus. 

Every fight I ever saw between a Theta Chi and a Sig Tau was won by the Sig Tau, mopping the floor with the Theta Chi.    :-*

tough guys, no. shitbags is more typical of the perception they had during my time.

VULB#62

It is really interesting (closer to amazing) to observe the changing Greek environment over the years.  You could have knocked me over with a blade of grass when I just read Sig Tau was ever a player.  Sig Tau was, in my time, #12 out of the 11 recognized fraternities on campus.  They actually were not physically even near campus as their house was on Lincoln Way closer to to the downtown than the campus.  Back in the day it was Phi Delt/Phi Psi nose to nose for #1 on any given year, Theta Chi/PiKA fighting it out for 3 and 4, and then maybe Lamda Chi is how I remember it.

johnny_fetla

The Lincolnway house was Delta Sigs or some moronic organization like that.  I do recall Delta Sig being some sort of law frat and also one of two frats that openly sold alcohol on Friday afternoons for a so called happy hour.  The other one being Sig Taus.  $1.50 for a rum and coke,  Couldn't beat it.

VULB#62

Johnny -- Time frame for my post 1962-66.  It WAS Sig Tau on Lincoln Way.  And now that you mention it, every house that I was familiar with at the time had a Coke machine in the basement converted to a beer machine.  Drop a quarter (i.e., 25 cents) and you had a frosty, foamy adult beverage.  Evening study halls in the Phi Delt third floor library on 606 Brown was very laid back.

:cheers:

vu72

Maybe you missed the era of Mound Street that of course, began with the original occupants of same, the Phi Psis.  When I was there, with the old house thru the new house, we always had an open bar room.  In the early 70''s everyone new that 'study break" on Wednesday nights, included a stop at the Phi Psi house and $1 for a cup and all you wanted.  We went thru mor than a few (ten?) kegs on any Wednesday.  Times have changed and I'm not saying for the better or worse... ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

It appears that the late 60s and early 70s were very openly wet.  OP Kretzman even dropped by once and shared a brew (must have been the German heritage).

Rush parties on the back patio of Phi Delt house always included Cannibal sandwiches and a keg.  Across the alley the same was true for Lambda Chi (minus the Cannibal 'wiches of course). On spring weekends there were campus open houses with brats and beer and our band "The Bondsmen."

When I think back on all of that, it really was (relatively) harmless, quite well controlled internally, and the socialization and the interpersonal lessons learned produced some pretty responsible adults who went on to be great leaders in our generation.  Although, I must admit, I remember (vaguely) a Whoppatooie (sp)  party one night that I had to force myself to run three times around the block to be able to take my date back to Scheele.  But I was lucky -- she was an upperclass women so I had till 1:00 AM.  Whew!

I'm thinking anyone graduating after 1980 is thinking ....... What ????????????

Well, now you know.  One of the reasons I'm on this forum is cuz I have such great memories of a very, very small portion of my entire life. And it was at Valpo.

Always great talking with you guys.

Ralph

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 06, 2012, 10:45:15 PMJohnny -- Time frame for my post 1962-66.  It WAS Sig Tau on Lincoln Way.  And now that you mention it, every house that I was familiar with at the time had a Coke machine in the basement converted to a beer machine.  Drop a quarter (i.e., 25 cents) and you had a frosty, foamy adult beverage.  Evening study halls in the Phi Delt third floor library on 606 Brown was very laid back.

No, back then the Sig Tau house was on Garfield.  You must be thinking of another frat.  However you are correct the Sig Taus did not peak until the mid- to late-80s.  They had a president named Barry who really turned them around.

Did you ever drink with OP's wife and Fred Skinner?  A real wing-ding.

johnny_fetla

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 06, 2012, 11:33:07 PM
It appears that the late 60s and early 70s were very openly wet.  OP Kretzman even dropped by once and shared a brew (must have been the German heritage).

Rush parties on the back patio of Phi Delt house always included Cannibal sandwiches and a keg.  Across the alley the same was true for Lambda Chi (minus the Cannibal 'wiches of course). On spring weekends there were campus open houses with brats and beer and our band "The Bondsmen."

When I think back on all of that, it really was (relatively) harmless, quite well controlled internally, and the socialization and the interpersonal lessons learned produced some pretty responsible adults who went on to be great leaders in our generation.  Although, I must admit, I remember (vaguely) a Whoppatooie (sp)  party one night that I had to force myself to run three times around the block to be able to take my date back to Scheele.  But I was lucky -- she was an upperclass women so I had till 1:00 AM.  Whew!

I'm thinking anyone graduating after 1980 is thinking ....... What ????????????

Well, now you know.  One of the reasons I'm on this forum is cuz I have such great memories of a very, very small portion of my entire life. And it was at Valpo.

Always great talking with you guys.
I'll have to agree it ended but not until the late 80's.  Leaders such as Nevada Athletic Commission Executive Director?

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 06, 2012, 11:33:07 PMRush parties on the back patio of Phi Delt house always included Cannibal sandwiches and a keg.  Across the alley the same was true for Lambda Chi (minus the Cannibal 'wiches of course). On spring weekends there were campus open houses with brats and beer and our band "The Bondsmen."

Rush parties at the Phi Delt house on Garfield in the 80's included mud-wrestling - oh, and kegs.  One of the mud-wrestlers ended up competing on American Gladiator in '89 or '90.

moodboom

Quote from: covufan on July 07, 2012, 12:03:29 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on July 06, 2012, 11:33:07 PMRush parties on the back patio of Phi Delt house always included Cannibal sandwiches and a keg.  Across the alley the same was true for Lambda Chi (minus the Cannibal 'wiches of course). On spring weekends there were campus open houses with brats and beer and our band "The Bondsmen."
Rush parties at the Phi Delt house on Garfield in the 80's included mud-wrestling - oh, and kegs.  One of the mud-wrestlers ended up competing on American Gladiator in '89 or '90.
One of the Little Kings water balloon cannonballers on the Sig Tau roof may have served some jail time (speculation) but no one had hotter jello-wrestling girls or white rose queens (both kinds).  Also, the place went nuts when the Violent Femmes came thru Valpo and played an impromptu Blister in the Sun in the Sig Tau basement in '85.  Good times.

valpo4life

Phi Psi's seem to be the only greek organization left that cares about sporting events on campus. They always seem to be out full force at basketball games dressing up in those costumes and what not. It's kind of a shame that others don't get together and form what could be a nice student section at games. Phi Psi is probably considered the "top tier" fraternity on campus nowadays.