• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

ESPN - Myron Metcalf Mid Majors

Started by NCGopher, November 01, 2012, 12:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCGopher

Picke Detroit to win the Horizon this year and McCallum to win POY.  Valpo picked as their "greatest threat"

Horizon League
My pick: Detroit
If Butler hadn't left the Horizon League for the Atlantic 10, it would probably be favored to win the conference title. But the Bulldogs are gone. And that opens the door for Detroit to build on last season's strong finish. The Titans certainly encountered challenges throughout the season but won 10 of 11 before losing to national runner-up Kansas in the NCAA tournament. That rally included a win over contender Valparaiso in the Horizon League tourney title game. Ray McCallum Jr. (15.4 ppg) is the catalyst for a program that returns three starters. If Nick Minnerath, a 6-9 forward, gets back on track after suffering an ACL injury last season, Detroit could represent the conference again in March.

Greatest threat: Valparaiso's 20-point loss to Detroit in the Horizon League title game was unexpected, given its strong showing that led to a regular-season title. Ryan Broekhoff (14.9 ppg) and Kevin Van Wijk (14.1 ppg) ensure that the Horizon League title will not be won without a fight. But Van Wijk is still recovering from offseason knee surgery.

X factor: Alec Brown, a 7-1 junior who averaged 2.97 blocks per game last season (ninth in the country), leads four returning starters on a UW-Green Bay squad that could shake up the conference.

Preseason MVP: Ray McCallum Jr., Detroit

wh

historyman

Also very interesting since I thought new members couldn't start threads within their first 5 posts.

As a New Member, you will be able to respond to existing threads and make basic changes to your account.  Once you have made 5 posts, you will receive full access, including the ability to fully modify your profile, post links and create new topics.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Good for Myron Metcalf.  He can join each of the other writers with barely any knowledge of the HL in picking the team with a HS all-american.  I would much rather be picked in second by these people, to give us the underdog mentality we always enjoy.  Butler would not have competed for the title, unless 'competing' meant that they would play against the true contenders of Valpo and Detroit  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo04

Quote from: historyman on November 01, 2012, 02:34:06 PM
Also very interesting since I thought new members couldn't start threads within their first 5 posts.

As a New Member, you will be able to respond to existing threads and make basic changes to your account.  Once you have made 5 posts, you will receive full access, including the ability to fully modify your profile, post links and create new topics.

Looks like permissions were changed during some reorganization of the member groups.  It has been fixed.

I also don't quite get the hostility towards a new poster.

Welcome, NCGopher!

milanmiracle

Quote from: valpotx on November 01, 2012, 03:45:37 PM
Good for Myron Metcalf.  He can join each of the other writers with barely any knowledge of the HL in picking the team with a HS all-american.  I would much rather be picked in second by these people, to give us the underdog mentality we always enjoy.  Butler would not have competed for the title, unless 'competing' meant that they would play against the true contenders of Valpo and Detroit  ;)

I think a whole lot of people are looking at the HL tournament championship game and evaluating the upcoming season based on that. I don't necessarily blame them. Let's face it, Detroit came into Valpo and stomped Valpo on their home court in a winner take all contest. In that game Ray McCallum Jr. outplayed Ryan Broekhoff and took over the game. The stats show a 7 point scoring difference between the two, but if you watched the game he had a very big influence on that outcome.

Until the loss of Chrishawn Hopkins, I would have picked Butler over both Valpo and Detroit. I still think they will do very, very well in the A10. The biggest weakness Butler had last year was the ability to knock down shots. With the addition of Clark and Dunham, that issue is gone. They will miss Hopkins going to the basket, and his ability to create his own shot, but they should be fine if Clark can run point, at least some of the time.

"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

milanmiracle

Quote from: valpo04 on November 01, 2012, 06:59:25 PM

Looks like permissions were changed during some reorganization of the member groups.  It has been fixed.

Welcome, NCGopher!

Welcome! I appreciated the link, and its certainly stirred discussion
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

wh

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 01, 2012, 07:25:32 PM

Until the loss of Chrishawn Hopkins, I would have picked Butler over both Valpo and Detroit. I still think they will do very, very well in the A10.

Pretty amazing assessment of things there Milan.  Valpo OWNED the Bulldogs last year.  More than that the 2 teams grew farther apart with every game.  Then they pick up one unquestionable star and an unproven freshman with a lot of hype, and magically they would overtake Valpo.  Never mind that Valpo returns it's entire starting line up - a year older and a year more experienced.  Never mind all our BCS transfers, etc.

Here I've been wondering how we're going to replace 3 wins from last year's schedule, and all along I guess I should have been thanking my lucky stars that the team we owned last year isn't on this year's schedule.  I think I finally have your half full/half empty thing figured out.  It seems that you're mostly half full about Butler and mostly half empty about Valpo.  ;)

In all seriousness I hope you get up to Valpo for a few games this year.  There's nothing like seeing Ryan Broekhoff play in person to appreciate how good this kid really is in all facets of the game.

valpopal

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 01, 2012, 07:25:32 PMLet's face it, Detroit came into Valpo and stomped Valpo on their home court in a winner take all contest. In that game Ray McCallum Jr. outplayed Ryan Broekhoff and took over the game. The stats show a 7 point scoring difference between the two, but if you watched the game he had a very big influence on that outcome.

I couldn't let this comment pass without reminding everyone that Ryan played that game even though he was extremely ill and throwing up in the locker room, if I recall correctly. For his all-around game, I will take a healthy Ryan over Ray anytime.

Smj

Quote from: valpopal on November 01, 2012, 10:33:07 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on November 01, 2012, 07:25:32 PMLet's face it, Detroit came into Valpo and stomped Valpo on their home court in a winner take all contest. In that game Ray McCallum Jr. outplayed Ryan Broekhoff and took over the game. The stats show a 7 point scoring difference between the two, but if you watched the game he had a very big influence on that outcome.
I couldn't let this comment pass without reminding everyone that Ryan played that game even though he was extremely ill and throwing up in the locker room, if I recall correctly. For his all-around game, I will take a healthy Ryan over Ray anytime.

You did not even mention that KVW was playing injured which of course impacts everyone else's game.

wh

Welcome, NCGopher!

You don't?  Try going over to the Detroit board, register under some name that no one has ever seen before, and make your first post an article from some pundit who predicts that Valpo will win the HL over their team and Ryan Broekhoff will be POY over their hero.  Don't give any frame of reference as to who you are, where you're from, or why you're posting.  See what kind of warm reception you get. 

valpo04

Quote from: wh on November 02, 2012, 12:02:14 AM

Welcome, NCGopher!

You don't?  Try going over to the Detroit board, register under some name that no one has ever seen before, and make your first post an article from some pundit who predicts that Valpo will win the HL over their team and Ryan Broekhoff will be POY over their hero.  Don't give any frame of reference as to who you are, where you're from, or why you're posting.  See what kind of warm reception you get. 

I suppose I was thrown by you putting "first" in quotes.  Certainly made it seem like you were suggesting it was someone who created a new user name or something. 

Also, I just looked and NCGopher was registered on our old board so I amend my previous post to "Welcome back, NCGopher!"

Anyhow, back to the topic...

milanmiracle

Quote from: wh on November 01, 2012, 08:53:35 PM

In all seriousness I hope you get up to Valpo for a few games this year.  There's nothing like seeing Ryan Broekhoff play in person to appreciate how good this kid really is in all facets of the game.

I've seen Ryan play before in person, and he's very good. You don't get to be the HL player of the year by being just "okay". If you told me I had to choose between Ryan and McCallum, I'd chose Ryan! Most of that is because I think Ray's an a$$, but again that's just me. However, Ray does some things that Ryan cant, and likewise, Ryan does some things that Ray cant. Ray is a more explosive offensive player, while Ryan plays more team basketball and gets his shots within the offense. At times having a Ray McCallum type (see Brandon Wood) is very beneficial to a team. The ability to get your own shot and create your own offense in times that require it (see championship games) is invaluable. That and sickness or not, Ray came to Valpo and led his team in a thumping of Valpo. There's something to be said for the game that counts...

For the record, I plan on being at more than a few Valpo games this year...and I saw Ryan play...at Butler (Haha).  ;D

valpotx

Amen to seeing Ryan in person, very much reminded me of Lubos Barton, who is my favorite Valpo player along with Raitis Grafs.  I was so glad to make it up for the Valpo/Butler HL tourney game, and seeing us stomp the crap out of the Bulldogs.  My gf was loving my enthusiasm/hatred for them all game  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: valpo04 on November 02, 2012, 06:37:52 AM
Quote from: wh on November 02, 2012, 12:02:14 AM

Welcome, NCGopher!

I suppose I was thrown by you putting "first" in quotes.  Certainly made it seem like you were suggesting it was someone who created a new user name or something. 

Also, I just looked and NCGopher was registered on our old board so I amend my previous post to "Welcome back, NCGopher!"

Anyhow, back to the topic...

I really wish you guys would stop trolling each other and stay on topic.

I'm really glad Gopher has returned!  He was one of the better posters we had in the past and he jumps right back into the upper echelon...rarefied air up here, my friend!