• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/17: Valpo @ Detroit Game Thread oh and lots of giveaways!

Started by HC, January 12, 2013, 09:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on January 17, 2013, 08:06:18 PMThey are the only team I do not even respect, as they are a majority of trash talkers.

And of course there was the technicals. Both times Valpo converted the techicals into 2 points on 2 free throws.

oklahomamick

Living in Oklahoma and being a Thunder fan, Perkins brings a mean to the team that desperately needs it. 

Capo brings a tough to our team.  I think he's a blue collar player and every team needs one.  Ask the Detroit Pistons. 

Does anyone think the replay will be aired on the HL network?  I didn't get to watch the game and had to read it play by play.  Would love to see it. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Bobby does play a little bit more blue collar, I can see that as well.  When watching the replay, it just looked to me like he was too slow to try and slap the ball, as Anderson is a prolific dunker.  Bobby swiped at where the ball WAS, and couldn't adjust because he is too slow.  In real time, it looked a lot worse than it was.  It only looked that way because he was going to try a windmill dunk, and it would have been NASTY too
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 17, 2013, 08:37:40 PMDoes anyone think the replay will be aired on the HL network?  I didn't get to watch the game and had to read it play by play.  Would love to see it. 

It will be archived on ESPN 3.  It was not an HLN production so it will not be on HLN.

VUfan

:o Great Game !!!!!not the tempo I thought we needed but ,It's a keeper!

wh

No question the Bobby take down play was a huge momentum changer.  For the record it never would have happened if Anderson would have gone straight to the hoop, but he just had to wind up for the showboat windmill and Bobby caught him.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: truth219 on January 17, 2013, 08:15:26 PMI will say that was awesome, but when I made my comments that's how I felt about what I was viewing at that point. we came back with the right answers. Kvw looked first team tonight and frankly he has been there all season. Buggs although he has moments where he is crap...he runs our team best at point. Sure when he is out there he turns it over a lot but when he isn't the rest of our team turns it over more. Very proud of valpo tonight.

I don't know which I like more:  reading this from Truth or the comeback itself.

...thinking

OK IT"S STILL THE COMEBACK!!!1!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

lowposter

Watched the last 4 minutes with the great comeback from 9 down.  Outstanding win.  Detroit just didnt take care of the ball during their possessions and Matt Kenney...nicely done.

Great road win.

HC

Wh you are right on, hotdog got burned that time.

Does Capo have to sit out Saturday?

vu72

OK, I'm back to normal, with an extra cocktail (or two  ;)) Wow! I actually think I called it in that I said that if we settled into street ball (first half) we were in trouble.  I also said it was a push between Ray and Ryan (advantage Ryan) and a push between Minnerath and KVW and that was pretty much true. The difference was Matt and Erik and his defense.  hats off to both.

A definitive game to be sure and evidence of the maturity and senior leadership of this team, which is starting to get it together.  look out!! Here we come!   :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Quote from: HC on January 17, 2013, 08:58:37 PM
Wh you are right on, hotdog got burned that time.

Does Capo have to sit out Saturday?

I certainly hope not. wh was correct in that had Doug just gone for the jam it would have happened with perhaps a foul to boot.  But, the hotdog went for the fancy slam and Capo caught up. I think the refs had no choice on the call but I don't really think it was intentional other than an intentional foul to stop the shot.  It worked out well with Ryan making two on the taunt and Doug making one of two on the foul. We then stole their in-bounds to settle the play.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

I just noticed something alarming....KVW had 0 fouls  :o
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo04

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 17, 2013, 08:08:01 PM
MESSAGE BOARD

ASPLODE

c'mon, Truth219, we're waiting for you to come and poop all over the cake.

Most Online Today: 51. Most Online Ever: 51 (Today at 09:17:06 PM)

;D

agibson

On Capo missing the next game.

Ouch!  It was a tough play.  Anderson stole the ball from Capo in the first place, right?  Capo really had to hustle to get back there, and seemed definitely out of control.  Looked mad!  And, as has ban said, clearly didn't have the time or finesse to adjust for the windmill dunk.

It will definitely be sad, and hurt the team, to not have him Saturday.  Does KVW have 30+ in him?  35+?

I hate to say it, but it sure is fun to watch Anderson fly through the air like he does.

HC

Got the contest winners, pm me your info and ill get your prizes.

@ValpoCubs4ever new twitter follower winner
Jeremy Paul predict Ryan's first half points+rebounds
Valpo2010 predict the final winner

I'll do something for an upcoming home game I hope. We are in the process of moving so we will see

valpopal

Meanwhile, in the Player of the Year match-up:

McCallum and Broekhoff both played 35 minutes, Ray had only 6 points while taking 11 shots and Ryan had 18 points while taking just 10 shots, plus Ryan had the game-tying and game-winning points but Ray passed up the chance to take a game-winning shot. Advantage Rowdy!

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 17, 2013, 09:06:12 PM
Quote from: HC on January 17, 2013, 08:58:37 PMDoes Capo have to sit out Saturday?

...according to wiki, yes :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagrant_foul

wikipedia is not quite up to date for this year but the result is the same for Capo.

It should read:

The NCAA defines two levels of flagrant fouls, typically referred to as "Flagrant 1" and "Flagrant 2". Referees have discretion in determining which level to call, but the primary distinction is that a Flagrant 2 results in the immediate ejection of the offender. A player who receives two Flagrant 1 fouls in a single game is also ejected upon the second foul.

The penalty for a Flagrant 2 technical foul in NCAA rules is immediate ejection of the offending player, plus two free throws and a throw-in for the opposing team. The ejected player is also suspended during the next game played by his or her team.

valpotx

Luckily we will be at home, and we have played without Bobby at home successfully earlier in the season.  I would be more worried if it were on the road.  Vashil will have to play 8-10 minutes or so, which should not be as big of an issue against a slower WSU.  Detroit is way too quick to have Vashil in for too long.  Anderson would have had a dunk party on the near seven footer
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on January 17, 2013, 09:12:38 PMI hate to say it, but it sure is fun to watch Anderson fly through the air like he does.

I agree, but only when it's because Capo sent him thus.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on January 17, 2013, 09:16:17 PM
Meanwhile, in the Player of the Year match-up:

McCallum and Broekhoff both played 35 minutes, Ray had only 6 points while taking 11 shots and Ryan had 18 points while taking just 10 shots, plus Ryan had the game-tying and game-winning points but Ray passed up the chance to take a game-winning shot. Advantage Rowdy!

Ray's 6 point total was his lowest scoring game of the season, and 4th lowest scoring game of his 3-year 86-game career.  Great defensive job!

oklahomamick

Who from Detroit received Techs?  How did it come about? 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

McCallum after blocking a layup from... Dority?  Saying "not in my house" or similar, presumably.

And then Calliste somehow responding to Capo's flagrant foul on Anderson.  Just cursing?  Not sure.

HC

Jr got one and I think Calliste? I believe both we're taunting. They didn't have the volume up in BWs so I'm not 100% sure.

I'm more impressed with Ryan every game. Tonight it would be his composure.

1) those game winning free throws
2) he got cheap spotted at least 3 times in the head either after free throws or going down the court and never was openly whining to the officials or daddy, errr Coach
3) I think the only time I've seen him ever confront a ref on a call was tonight on the blatant goaltend that somehow all three officials missed, and he dropped that pretty quickly

I know Commish didn't think he is NBA material, but he couldn't be more wrong. This kid is the real deal.