• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

International Recruits

Started by oklahomamick, January 21, 2013, 07:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

I was looking at the scholarship grid for the next couple years.  Besides Vashil we don't have any internationals.  This is the first since I attended Valpo.  Have we gotten away from it?  I hope not as, they have been our best players.  To name a few....

Grafs
Gomes
Ortiz
Ali Berdiel
Huff
Haanapaa
Kevin Van Wijik
Rowdy

Success in past years can be credited to our international stars.  You can see that now with Rowdy and Kevin.   International players at Valpo has been the story as long as I can remember.  I understand players like Rowdy only come along every 5 years or so, but I hope we land another international talent. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

It is not the same as it was for us in that the secret is out of the bag and now everybody is recruiting internationals.  It isn't cheap as I'm sure you can imagine. At the same time we have been having success with a combination of local kids and high profile transfers.

Back in the day, Valpo was not on the map for locals and we had no choice but to try to find talent elsewhere. Now, with kids like Peters and Carter and Davidson and Yeo and ... you get the picture!

I agree that it has made Valpo a great story and has worked out well for both the school and the players.

I will disagree with you on one point--it is a little longer between kids like Rowdy! I would say the last player of his skill level was Dan Oppland and he played graduated in 2006.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

MattCarter

like vu72 said, its not that we don't want or try to get the Internationals like we used to.

Reality is that Homer was a pioneer in doing it.  Other programs saw him getting big men from Europe and athletes from Jamaica and Australia, ect...

It would seem now we are more focused on under-rated talents from the midwest and transfers.
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

oklahomamick

Quote from: vu72 on January 21, 2013, 08:38:02 AMI will disagree with you on one point--it is a little longer between kids like Rowdy! I would say the last player of his skill level was Dan Oppland and he played graduated in 2006.

I was a year off......
Rowdy was POY in 11/12 and Oppland graduated in 06.
I agree with you on the transfers.
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Also since Coach Powell arrived at Valpo we have done much better at getting Chicagoland area talent, both from high schools and transfers. Before Powell arrived we got very few from the Chicagoland area. That has changed Valpo's need for going after International student athletes.

oklahomamick

I think the international talent has far outweighed the other recruits.  Our superstars (exception of Bryce and Oppland) are internationals.  Our best players are internationals
CRUSADERS!!!

truth219

None of our transfers are great...I'm speaking about the ones that are playing now....so far our transfers haven't been team changing

HC

I don't think the transfers were brought here to be "great". They were brought here to fill roles.  Bogan: 3 point/defense, Boggs: Big guard/shooter/rebounder, Capo: Big body, Coleman: Athletic, Dority: Scorer/back up pg

A few of them have been a bit disappointing so far or may be having a slightly down year to what we saw last year.  You might be especially disappointed if you were expecting greatness.

vu72

Quote from: truth219 on January 21, 2013, 09:38:33 AM
None of our transfers are great...I'm speaking about the ones that are playing now....so far our transfers haven't been team changing

While they may not be "team changing" they have played well and provided maturity to the team.  Not everyone can be a Rowdy and we need support players as well--guys who don't expect to be the "go to guy" all the time.  In that regard, which would you rather have, an unknown freshman or guys like Will, LaVonte, Bobby or Ben? They have/are providing great support to Rowdy and Kevin, and that is what we need them to do.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

That's the point, history and current status of the program is that the "team changers" are international players.  (Again with the exception of Bryce and Oppland).  The question is, who will be the "team changer" with no international players?  We have never had "team changers" that weren't international talent. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 21, 2013, 11:12:07 AM
That's the point, history and current status of the program is that the "team changers" are international players.  (Again with the exception of Bryce and Oppland).  The question is, who will be the "team changer" with no international players? We have never had "team changers" that weren't international talent. 
[/b]

Not sure how old you are or what your background is relative to Valpo basketball history, but trust me, there have been many "team changers" that go well back beyond the era of international talent.  Even in the Drew era there has been a David Redmon or Casey Schmidt or Tracy Gibson.  In previous generations there has been people like Bruce Lindner, Dick Jones or Vern Curtis.

Sure, of late, many of those roles have been filled by international players.  The next one?  Hard to say, but it could very well be a kid named Peters, Davidson, Yeo or...??

wh

Quote from: HC on January 21, 2013, 10:14:38 AM
I don't think the transfers were brought here to be "great". They were brought here to fill roles. Bogan: 3 point/defense, Boggs: Big guard/shooter/rebounder, Capo: Big body, Coleman: Athletic, Dority: Scorer/back up pg

A few of them have been a bit disappointing so far or may be having a slightly down year to what we saw last year.  You might be especially disappointed if you were expecting greatness.

One player I'm guessing may not be too happy with his "role" right now is Lavonte Dority.  He only played 9 min. in the WSU game and was 1-5 for 2 points.  Look at the recap video at the end of the game when the guys on the court were running back to the bench to celebrate with their teammates.  An expressionless Lavonte started to walk past them and head straight for the obligatory handshake with the other team.  Then, Ryan goes over and embraces him, at which point he seemed to change his demeanor. 

Valpo Crusaders (MBB) vs. Wright State Raiders (1/19/2013)

In Lavonte's situation, everything indicates that he thought he was coming to Valpo to be a starter, not a 9 min. role player off the bench.  He quit South Florida after he lost his starting position, so starting and playing time are obviously important to him.  He was also quoted as having told Bryce when he accepted, "You've got yourself a point guard."  I could be wrong, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Lavonte is not a happy camper right now.   

valpopal

Quote from: wh on January 21, 2013, 11:33:07 AMOne player I'm guessing may not be too happy with his "role" right now is Lavonte Dority.  He only played 9 min. in the WSU game and was 1-5 for 2 points.

Dority injured his ankle Thursday in the Detroit game. He had some pain and was having it treated before Saturday's game. I wouldn't be too surprised if that limited him in the Wright State game and added to his frustration.

LaPorteAveApostle

That's a good point, pal.

But WH might be right--he got a shot and didn't keep it.  Now Keith Carter's coming in next year...but where is he going to go?  He'd have to graduate this semester to go anywhere else and play, unless he wants to sit out AGAIN.  Not too many people are, or want to be, Richie Edwardses--nor will too many give someone 2 years' scholarship to play one year.

He's still valuable to this team.  I'm sure he knows that.  We'll have to watch him off as well as on the court the next few games...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 21, 2013, 12:16:02 PM
That's a good point, pal.

But WH might be right--he got a shot and didn't keep it.  Now Keith Carter's coming in next year...but where is he going to go?  He'd have to graduate this semester to go anywhere else and play, unless he wants to sit out AGAIN.  Not too many people are, or want to be, Richie Edwardses--nor will too many give someone 2 years' scholarship to play one year.

He's still valuable to this team.  I'm sure he knows that.  We'll have to watch him off as well as on the court the next few games...

I hope Dority is not dejected. He should get plenty of playing time if healthy. Also, although many of us thought of him as a point guard, and he has complemented Buggs at the position, I believe he fits best at the 2 spot. In fact, I can see a back court of Carter at the 1 and Dority at the 2 by the time next year's conference season begins, and I think that will be as good of a back court as any in the league.

In addition, I get the feeling Dority sees himself as a vocal leader type of player. However, with so many seniors on this year's team, that position is difficult for him to assume. Next year, he would be the natural vocal leader of the team.

chef

The plan for next year is a starting backcourt of Carter and Dority. I'm sure Dority will see plenty of key minutes throughout the remainder of this season. A month ago, people were questioning if Will Bogan was out of the rotation. Bryce will play the combo that's working that night.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: chef on January 21, 2013, 03:21:57 PMThe plan for next year is a starting backcourt of Carter and Dority

Better than McCallum & Brundidge.

There, I said it.

And way too early.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

mvandersee

Carter will (almost certainly) have to sit out 1st semester games next year, so LaVonte will definitely have the starting job out of the gates and it would just be up to him to keep working hard and retain his spot.

Smj

This is just my opinion - When I think about the history... International players seem to be more patient about "earning" playing time.   Sometimes US kids come in thinking that they will eat up the HL but that does not happen...

bbtds

Quote from: Smj on January 22, 2013, 07:19:38 AM
This is just my opinion - When I think about the history... International players seem to be more patient about "earning" playing time.   Sometimes US kids come in thinking that they will eat up the HL but that does not happen...

Yep, Mo Kone was extemely patient.  ;)