• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

HL Tourney

Started by oklahomamick, February 20, 2013, 11:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HC

Being a frequent blaster of poor student turnout...I was very excited to see the large group that attended the other night and have no doubt it's going to happen again tonight.  I think the attitude about attending games is changing, and it is thanks to those students who keep coming (oh and the team's continued success) that is helping.

Can't wait for tonight!

historyman

Quote from: WSU85 on March 11, 2013, 05:30:36 PMI wish the Horizon League would find someway to have the championship game on Saturday or Sunday. If the tourney was Thurs thru Sun I would have been there for the whole thing, and I am sure most people can't go out of town on Tues at the last minute.  It would be a great weekend get away no matter where the tourney was held. And by the way Wright State Proboards is a much more active board

It's about time slots and TV ratings. The HL being the 12th ranked conference must give leeway to the higher ranked conferences and their tournaments on TV. Saturday probably gets the most ratings so those games on Saturday go to the higher ranked conferences. And you thought it was all about the fans at the game.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

crusaderjoe

Quote from: wh on March 12, 2013, 02:41:30 AM
Quote from: vu72 on March 11, 2013, 01:44:47 PM
Just checked tickets and by way of a quick estimate I'd say about 1200 seats available. CC is almost filled with the top 5 rows left with about the same available in BB and DD.
However, AA and EE have lots of room.

640 seats now available.  Some strong a.m. sales and a decent walk-up and we're at capacity.

Seats still available in all upper deck sections.  I know the facility has some major limitations but this game should be a sellout by now considering all of the pub VU received with the shot, part deux.  Maybe 20.00 is too much to sit tucked away in a corner that offers a bad angle.  I hope the administration is learning from this.

truth219

I was watching an IU game a few weeks back. It was a home game mind you, and they were interviewing a fan in the upper deck. The fan said he paid some where in the range of 200 bucks for the ticket. I know the horizon league isn't the big ten, but 20 bucks for a conference championship doesn't seem that bad. My dad went to a notre dame game a few weeks back and said a soda was 4 dollars and so was pop corn. The prices in the arc are very reasonable, esspecially considering we live in a prosperous community. I wouldn't mind seeing the upper deck go down to 5 dollars for the regular season though

crusaderjoe

Quote from: truth219 on March 12, 2013, 11:28:06 AM
I was watching an IU game a few weeks back. It was a home game mind you, and they were interviewing a fan in the upper deck. The fan said he paid some where in the range of 200 bucks for the ticket. I know the horizon league isn't the big ten, but 20 bucks for a conference championship doesn't seem that bad. My dad went to a notre dame game a few weeks back and said a soda was 4 dollars and so was pop corn. The prices in the arc are very reasonable, esspecially considering we live in a prosperous community. I wouldn't mind seeing the upper deck go down to 5 dollars for the regular season though

It's not the price of the ticket I'm driving at.  It's the seating angle, view and sight-line that comes from the ticket.  I do agree with you though--ARC/HL tournament prices are pretty reasonable generally.

truth219

I agree the seating in the arc is garbage. If your in the front row of the upper deck you might as well put a bag over your head. You can't see anything there, with the bars that are behind the lower section and people walking back and forth. There are so many good angles in the arc that just don't have seats. One of my favorite places to watch part of a game is standing next to the culvers stand. You can see the whole court without moving your head.

agibson

I can see how there might be more _good_ places you could put seats.  And I agree that the first couple of rows aren't so good (probably that's true in the lower bleachers also).

And, if you're too far up in the mezzanine some of the stuff hanging from the roof starts blocking the main scoreboard (and, perhaps, really messing up the audio).

But, are there actually many bad seats?  I've not sat all the way at the top, but I suspect you're still not all that far from the court.  Particularly compared to bigger stadiums.

VULB#62

The USAToday paper copy had a front page (Sports) box that showed the Horizon League's all-time most wins in the HL Tourney.  Of course Valpo wasn't in it, but Detroit had 33, Butler 31.

Thought this was good exposure for the HL.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 12, 2013, 09:05:33 PMThe USAToday paper copy had a front page (Sports) box that showed the Horizon League's all-time most wins in the HL Tourney.  Of course Valpo wasn't in it, but Detroit had 33, Butler 31.

A little esoteric, but Valpo does now lead current league members in tournament winning _percentage_ at 62.5%.  Xavier had 70.6%, and NIU of all people had 71.4% (5-2).

StlVUFan

Section AA was full and Section EE was about 3/4ths full.

Well done, Valparaiso!