• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Ryan Broekhoff at Portsmouth invitational

Started by Smj, April 13, 2013, 11:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smj

Anyone know if this game is being streamed online?

Ryan Broekhoff at Portsmouth invitational......  (Already played twice)

Game 12        Saturday, April 13               8:00 pm

Championship Game

K. & D. Round's Landscaping vs Roger Brown's Restaurant

Link:
https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/SCHEDULE_RESULTS.html

zvillehaze

Games are being streamed here.  http://ulive.cbssports.com/?media=384688  No announcers, but you can hear the P.A. pretty clearly.

Smj

Thanks!   So fun seeing Ryan out there....   Feed is a bit choppy - but it is good enough to follow...  This is looking like a game where you have to make your own shots

StlVUFan

Quote from: Smj on April 13, 2013, 07:44:24 PM
Thanks!   So fun seeing Ryan out there....   Feed is a bit choppy - but it is good enough to follow...  This is looking like a game where you have to make your own shots
Not sure I'm reading this right.  What is/was the starting time?  I think I'm watching live (warmups right now), but I'm getting the impression I'm watching a replay or something.  the other thing is, I don't see Ryan.

Never mind, I was watching a reply of the penultimate game.  Just figured out that I missed the first half of Ryan's game.

agibson

Strange to see him wearing a black jersey.  Strange and a little sad to see him on the court, but so little involved in the game.

Not much of a line tonight.  1-3 in 25 minutes.  3 defensive boards. 2 Assists, a block, a steal.

Maybe hard to shine when you're just another player on the team that takes the tournament?

I hadn't noticed that Minnerath was in the tournament, as well.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on April 13, 2013, 09:23:22 PM
Strange to see him wearing a black jersey.  Strange and a little sad to see him on the court, but so little involved in the game.

Not much of a line tonight.  1-3 in 25 minutes.  3 defensive boards. 2 Assists, a block, a steal.

Maybe hard to shine when you're just another player on the team that takes the tournament?

I hadn't noticed that Minnerath was in the tournament, as well.
Took a couple of shots in the 2nd half, but yeah, it was kinda blah.  He did take a skip-pass at one point and saved it to a teammate as he was falling out of bounds.  I also remember him getting beat badly to the rim on defense by his man who drove past him.

I saw some hand-checking going on, I presume anyone who hopes to get drafted will have to cure themselves of that habit.  That includes Ryan I'm afraid.

valpotx

He will play in a top European league.  He won't be a primary scorer, but will be a valuable contributor
"Don't mess with Texas"

Smj

I think it would be difficult to play on this type of team because everyone is out for themselves.  Ryan plays a team game.  He always seemed to make everyone else better but he needs others to help him get good opportunities.

classof2014

Quote from: Smj on April 13, 2013, 10:19:17 PM
I think it would be difficult to play on this type of team because everyone is out for themselves.  Ryan plays a team game.  He always seemed to make everyone else better but he needs others to help him get good opportunities.

I agree, Rowdy isn't a flashy do it all type player. This tournament is definitely geared to the guys who look to score every time they touch the ball and that's just not Ryan's style.

Wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors! :)

sliman

It appears that Minnerath had a good tournament, averaging more than 13 points and 4 rebounds a game and getting extensive minutes in most of the games.  As for Ryan he will be a valued player on whatever team he ends up with.  Lubos Barton, with a similar body type and skill set, has enjoyed a rewarding (literally and figuratively) career in Europe and that's no reason to believe that Ryan won't also.

vu84v2

As a Valpo alum living in Lawrence, KS, it is amusing to see a final game with Releford on one team and Johnson and Broekhoff together on the other.  Too bad none of them had a good game.  I, of course, really like Broekhoff but also really liked Releford while he was here at Kansas.  Both of them will have a very good career in Europe.

EddieCabot

Does anyone have updates on where Broekhoff might fall in the Draft?  I guess there's still a lot of evaluation to be done at the Pre Draft Camps before the actual draft, so still a lot of questions.

I can't find it, but I recall someone (maybe vu72?) posting a statistical comparison between Broekhoff and Hayward.  I hope that the Valpo SID and/or his agent are bombarding NBA teams with that type of information.  It's unfortunate that Ryan couldn't have had more success in the post season, because that really seems to put players on the NBA radar.

a3uge

There's a zero percent chance Broekhoff gets drafted.

LaPorteAveApostle

dude, there are no zero percent chances any more. /gametheory'd

i'd say there's a nonzero percent chance.  that's more 'wright', and i don't mean state.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: EddieCabot on April 29, 2013, 10:29:12 AM
Does anyone have updates on where Broekhoff might fall in the Draft?  I guess there's still a lot of evaluation to be done at the Pre Draft Camps before the actual draft, so still a lot of questions.

I can't find it, but I recall someone (maybe vu72?) posting a statistical comparison between Broekhoff and Hayward.  I hope that the Valpo SID and/or his agent are bombarding NBA teams with that type of information.  It's unfortunate that Ryan couldn't have had more success in the post season, because that really seems to put players on the NBA radar.

He may not get drafted but his numbers in comparison to Hayward's are pretty interesting:

Hayward:  6'8"  210#
Last season at Butler:
FG %:  46.4
FT %: 82.3
3 PT %: 29.4
Minutes Played:  33.5
PPG:  15.5
RPG: 8.2

Ryan Broekhoff:  6'7"  215#
Senior Season:
FG %: 44.8
FT%: 88.1
3 PT %: 41.7
Minutes played: 32.2
PPG: 15.7
RPG: 7.3

There is certainly some reason to compare the two.  Different draft, different time, who knows.  If not drafted perhaps he ends up on a D squad rather than going to Europe or Australia.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

EddieCabot

Thanks, vu72.  It seems that NBA scouts/GMs look at more than just the stats when making picks.  It'd be interesting to hear what they (or draft "experts") think are the differences between the two players.