• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013-2014 schedule

Started by oklahomamick, May 10, 2013, 11:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 14, 2013, 09:12:55 AM
Quote from: valpotx on August 13, 2013, 10:58:49 AMSomething is just wrong when there is a University of Rio Grande in Ohio...
Serves me right for mocking them so hard in the Non-Con wrap up last year.

Make sure you pronounce it right, though, Tex--it's RYE-oh, and for once I'm not even making stuff up

♫ There was an old farmer who had a loaf of bread and RYE-oh was it's name-oh ♫

♫ R-Y-Eeeeee, -O, R-Y-Eeeee, -O, R-Y-Eeee, -O, and RYE-O was it's name-o ♫

historyman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bevo_Francis

Bevo Francis, teammate Al Schreiber, and his coach Newt Oliver later signed with Boston Whirlwinds, a barnstorming team that played against the Harlem Globetrotters. He was subsequently drafted by Philadelphia of the NBA, but opted to return home to his wife and family.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on August 14, 2013, 10:48:10 AM
Quote from: valpotx on August 14, 2013, 10:07:59 AM
Wow, seriously?  Does anyone know why they are called such a thing, when the "grand/large river' is in CO/NM/TX?  I couldn't find anything on wikipedia.

The college is in Rio Grande, Ohio (est 1874). Out of curiosity I emailed the email address of their village website, but it might be severely out of date and unused. Wikipedia says it's named after the river in the south, but who knows.

This can't be much stranger than Valparaiso, IN, can it?  But, as for Valpo, there might be a good story.

I heard a good one for my ancestral home town of Eleva, WI recently.  Apparently it was New Chicago, but there was a grain elevator - partially painted?  - that got as far as Eleva(tor) and the name stuck.  People seem serious about the story!

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on August 15, 2013, 09:50:05 AM
Quote from: a3uge on August 14, 2013, 10:48:10 AM
Quote from: valpotx on August 14, 2013, 10:07:59 AM
Wow, seriously?  Does anyone know why they are called such a thing, when the "grand/large river' is in CO/NM/TX?  I couldn't find anything on wikipedia.

The college is in Rio Grande, Ohio (est 1874). Out of curiosity I emailed the email address of their village website, but it might be severely out of date and unused. Wikipedia says it's named after the river in the south, but who knows.

This can't be much stranger than Valparaiso, IN, can it?  But, as for Valpo, there might be a good story.

I heard a good one for my ancestral home town of Eleva, WI recently.  Apparently it was New Chicago, but there was a grain elevator - partially painted?  - that got as far as Eleva(tor) and the name stuck.  People seem serious about the story!

That's an 'eleva story!

(Had to get that in before Apostle)

vu84v2

The guy at Grinnell that broke the NCAA (at any level) record for scoring in a game broke Bevo Francis' record.  I saw that on Wikipedia, but also remember it being mentioned last season when the record was broken.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

ETSUfan1

Hello guys.  Thought I would let you know that you will be playing at East Tennessee State this year.  We will return the trip next season.  I don't have the date of the game yet, I just know it will take place.

ETSUfans.com

wh

Quote from: ETSUfan1 on August 18, 2013, 02:25:44 PM
Hello guys.  Thought I would let you know that you will be playing at East Tennessee State this year.  We will return the trip next season.  I don't have the date of the game yet, I just know it will take place.

ETSUfans.com

Thanks for sharing.  What's the outlook for the Buccaneers this coming season?

ETSUfan1

We will be young.  Last season was a disaster (10-22), the most losses ever for an ETSU team.  This will pretty much be the last hurrah for our coach Murry Bartow (Gene's son) unless he can figure out a way to finish near the top of the ASUN.  We don't have a lot of size and will have to hope the new players can come in and compete immediately.  I am glad to be playing Valpo.  I always enjoy playing schools that we've never played or haven't played in some time.  Good luck this season.

wh

I see someone on your board said, Valpo is really nice but there's whispers of playing that one at Freedom Hall.  Are we talking THE Freedom Hall?  Do you know anything about this?  Tournament, or something?

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=640087&page=6

ETSUfan1

No.  Johnson City's Civic Center is named Freedom Hall.  Basically our basketball arena is in the center of a small domed football stadium.  The university is looking at moving a few games to the civic center this year to see how that would work.  Freedom Hall is about 5 minutes off campus.

wh

Got it.  Thanks and good luck this season to the Buccaneers!

vu72

Does ETSUfan1 know that Gene Bartow used to coach at Valpo and is a member our our Hall of Fame?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Pathfinder

Bevo averaged 50.1 (adjusted to 48.3 in NCAA record books because the NCAA didn't count some games) and 46.5 ppg in 2 seasons at Rio Grande. He scored 113 in a game against Hillsdale, the NCAA record until last year. Rio Grande played a freaky schedule that included lots of small schools but also Villanova (lost 93-92 in OT), Providence (won), North Carolina State (lost), and Wake Forest (won).

historyman

Quote from: Pathfinder on August 18, 2013, 08:16:49 PMBevo averaged 50.1 (adjusted to 48.3 in NCAA record books because the NCAA didn't count some games) and 46.5 ppg in 2 seasons at Rio Grande. He scored 113 in a game against Hillsdale, the NCAA record until last year. Rio Grande played a freaky schedule that included lots of small schools but also Villanova (lost 93-92 in OT), Providence (won), North Carolina State (lost), and Wake Forest (won).

I wonder if Bevo was named after the non-alcoholic drink that Anheuser Busch brewed during prohibition.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlylehold/6649786865/#
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

We can add to the schedule a home exhibition game against Chicago's North Park University on Nov. 10.

LaPorteAveApostle

Not to steal from my own blog on the non-con season last year but:

http://www.amazon.com/Basketball-Rio-Grande-College-Legend/dp/0967728401

'book report on' :
http://www.rioredstorm.com/f/Bevo.php

also good:
http://smallcollegebasketball.tumblr.com/post/1124251547/the-incredible-story-of-the-legendary-bevo-francis
Historyman, per usual, was right on the history:
Quotehe is widely known as Bevo, a name which he got from the name of a beer that his Dad drank
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Thread has gotten confusing...to recap the relevant data:

Home
Rio Grande (exhibitionist)
North Park (exh.; Trey Parker & Matt Stone were unavailable)
Kent State (next year?  we're not on their schedule: http://www.kentstatesports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball)
Saint Louis (not announced...yet? http://www.slubillikens.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&SPID=93215&SPSID=632626)
Murray State
Loyola Marymount

Road
IPFW
IUPUI
EKU (probably next year?)
ETSU

Exempt tournament:
OHIO! -- Away
Mercer -- Home
Evansville
Alcorn St.

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 19, 2013, 08:56:46 AMSaint Louis (not announced...yet? http://www.slubillikens.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&SPID=93215&SPSID=632626)

There has been no talk on the SLU board of not playing Valpo. Here is what the SLU posters have so far pieced together of their schedule:
I believe the number after the school name is RPI ranking from last year

2013-2014 Schedule:
11/9 vs. SEMO - 216
11/21 vs. Oral Roberts - 151 (Cancun Challenge, home sites)
11/23 vs. Bowling Green - 274 (Cancun Challenge, home sites)
11/26 @ Wisconsin - 32 (Cancun Challenge, Cancun, Mexico)
11/27 @ West Virginia - 146 or Old Dominion - 318 (Cancun Challenge, Cancun, Mexico)
12/1 vs. Wichita State - 37
12/18 vs. Indiana State - 74
12/30 @ Vanderbilt - 120
1/4 vs. Yale - 198

Dates TBD:
@ Valpo - 58
@ SIUC - 192
@ SIUE - 304
2 home buy games
2 exhibitions

A10 home games: Fordham, GW, Richmond, St. Bonnie, Dayton, Duquesne, George Mason, and VCU
A10 road games: LaSalle, St. Joe's, UMass, Rhode Island, Dayton, Duquesne, George Mason, and VCU

valporun

LAA, I think you have your directional parks messed up, but with your sense of humor, how am I supposed to know?

zvillehaze

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 19, 2013, 08:56:46 AM

Kent State (next year?  we're not on their schedule: http://www.kentstatesports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball)

As mentioned earlier, I doubt that any games from the Nebraska tourney last year had a contractual return game.  Those are typically one year deals.

valporun

Most of those November-December tourney games don't get returns because they were games that the university didn't have to go find, just had to make space on the home court to play that game. In some ways, the only way a November-December tourney game gets returned is if it was a big ratings grab for ESPN, and they could coerce the two schools to contract a game for the upcoming season at a professional arena with a TV guarantee attached to it, ala Butler-Gonzaga like event.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: zvillehaze on August 19, 2013, 12:10:08 PMThose are typically one year deals.
I agree; I either did not know, or forgot, that that was part of that "tournament".

'Run, you are close--I was suggesting that we settled for North Park because South wasn't available ;)

justducky

I have to wonder if some part of the ETSU contract isn't a favor of some kind for Murry Bartow and the Bartow family. They may (depending on the game date) get a chance to beat a Valpo team that could be very good by the end of the season.

Looks like there could still be some small chance that St Louis could come to town when Keith Carter is eligible but it looks like a longshot bet at this point. I am still hopeful that this might happen as it would greatly add to the fan interest.

How many schedule openings do we still have and do we have any rumors floating around?  I just checked the Baylor schedule to see when the boys will match up and I found out that they have left me empty handed again so I must conclude that another year of my life will slip away without a Baylor-Valpo matchup (might be a better chance of all of us being struck by lightning today than of the two teams matching up in some post season tournament this year). To help avoid any future drama maybe we should start a collection to send the Drew parents on vacation to a sequestered from the outside world bridge or pinochle tournament so that the boys can enjoy a little competition next year.

I would also think we should have at least one big school big money game in the works but the rumor mill seems deathly silent. Last year at this time we were posting like mad about our last few opponents and this year nobody seems to know or care. One more rambling thought and I am done. Oh please don't tell me that Chicago St. is back on the schedule!

valpotx

Hopefully that North Park fan comes back on our board, talking about how they are going to whoop us  ::)
"Don't mess with Texas"