• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013-2014 schedule

Started by oklahomamick, May 10, 2013, 11:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

This year's home schedule is terrific with one exception. I don't like that Senior Night (Mar. 1) is during Spring Break.

vu84v2

Good home schedule this year.  I really like that both the Murray State and Saint Louis games are when school is in session - now the students and fans need to pack the ARC.  Only dissapointment that I see is that the Detroit game is when school is not in session, but I think Detroit will be down a lot this season.

mvandersee

Do we all have to go stand in the entry hallway to watch the banner raising or are they actually putting it in the gym this year?  ;D

But on another note, that's disappointing to see that Senior Night is during spring break

justducky

Quote from: Valpo2010 on August 28, 2013, 07:01:58 PMNov. 30 - TBD

After taking a second look at this 5 team field and the games within it that have already been announced it appears almost equally likely that we will either play Alcorn St. here and Evansville there or Evansville here and take a trip to Alcorn St. I'll take a wild guess that we will play at Evansville on maybe the 17th of November (give or take a month).

valpotx

Didn't Hillsdale beat a D-1 opponent in an exhibition a few years back?
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

The Chicago Bucket Boys, the halftime entertainment at the St Louis game on December 7th.

Chicago Bucket Boys
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Reminds me of when a famous violinist played in the subway of NYC in the last few years as an experiment to see how many people would just walk on by.  Only a few people even seem to be realizing what these guys are doing...
"Don't mess with Texas"

sliman

At Illinois Nov. 13 at 6:30 p.m.

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on August 28, 2013, 07:26:36 AMValpo Thursday, January 23rd at Youngstown
Youngstown State Thursday, Feb 20th at the ARC

I don't know if anyone noticed yet but the Valpo season ticket holders were told the YSU at Valpo game was Feb.22 (not Thur the 20th but Sat the 22nd) which would make the Youngstown website wrong on the date. 

justducky

Quote from: justducky on August 28, 2013, 11:59:07 PM

After taking a second look at this 5 team field and the games within it that have already been announced it appears almost equally likely that we will either play Alcorn St. here and Evansville there or Evansville here and take a trip to Alcorn St. I'll take a wild guess that we will play at Evansville on maybe the 17th of November (give or take a month).
Just forget everything I said above and help me figure this thing out. I had assumed that each team would get 2 home and 2 road games in this 5 team set-up. But no! Mercer will only play Alcorn St at home and I am still trying to figure out what Alcorn St might get except a lot of traveling.

Just visited the BobcatAttack.com (2013-14 OOC schedule recent posts) and see that Evansville will be there 11-30 so they can not be here also. So our TBD 11-30 date could only be Alcorn St or some last minute maybe non-D1 opponent. If we only get one home game out of this while it looks like Ohio will get at least 3 then why did we even want to participate? I am so confused!

vu72

OK, so here is Keith Cater, who is saying that he will miss the first 9 or 10 games rather then the entire first semester.  Is there a difference?  Could he make it back for the St. Louis game?

Inside Valpo Athletics: Keith Carter 8|29|13
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

EddieCabot

Quote from: justducky on August 29, 2013, 01:04:20 PM
Quote from: justducky on August 28, 2013, 11:59:07 PM

Just forget everything I said above and help me figure this thing out. I had assumed that each team would get 2 home and 2 road games in this 5 team set-up. But no! Mercer will only play Alcorn St at home and I am still trying to figure out what Alcorn St might get except a lot of traveling.

Just visited the BobcatAttack.com (2013-14 OOC schedule recent posts) and see that Evansville will be there 11-30 so they can not be here also. So our TBD 11-30 date could only be Alcorn St or some last minute maybe non-D1 opponent. If we only get one home game out of this while it looks like Ohio will get at least 3 then why did we even want to participate? I am so confused!

Blogging the bracket.com shows Valpo playing at Evansville, but no date.  Given that Ohio set up the tournament, my guess is they'll get 4 home games.  Evansville will get 3 home (and at Ohio), Valpo gets 2 home (and at Ohio/Evansville), Mercer gets 1 home game and Alcorn State gets none.  As justducky points out, it doesn't seem very fair.

valpotx

Especially considering that Evansville always ends up with the most biased refs at their facility, but that is MVC-specific anyways
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on August 29, 2013, 03:30:27 PMOK, so here is Keith Carter, who is saying that he will miss the first 9 or 10 games rather then the entire first semester.  Is there a difference?  Could he make it back for the St. Louis game?

If you count the number of games on the recap schedule that bbtds has posted there are 9 to 10 games (depending on whether we play a game on Nov. 30 or not) before the UCF tournament in Orlando.

Keith will not get to play against St Louis on 12/7/13. He will play his first game in Orlando against UCF, Rio Grande or Southeastern.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

The game at Illinois will be November 13 at 6:30pm.
=======================================
Darn... a Wednesday night!  too late for this working stiff to drive back from Champaign...or Urbana.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on August 29, 2013, 09:56:30 AM
Reminds me of when a famous violinist played in the subway of NYC in the last few years as an experiment to see how many people would just walk on by.  Only a few people even seem to be realizing what these guys are doing...

Joshua Bell!  Great to have the bucket boys in the house.

I remember them, or their cousins?, or their precursors?, under the overpasses or some such around Comiskey when I was a kid.

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on August 29, 2013, 05:41:34 PM
The game at Illinois will be November 13 at 6:30pm.
=======================================
Darn... a Wednesday night!  too late for this working stiff to drive back from Champaign...or Urbana.

Stay the night, early morning commute?

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on August 29, 2013, 04:33:26 PMBlogging the bracket.com shows Valpo playing at Evansville, but no date.  Given that Ohio set up the tournament, my guess is they'll get 4 home games.  Evansville will get 3 home (and at Ohio), Valpo gets 2 home (and at Ohio/Evansville), Mercer gets 1 home game and Alcorn State gets none.  As justducky points out, it doesn't seem very fair.
While we are both still doing some guesswork your conclusion seems both rational and probable, but perhaps Ohio will take the road to Alcorn St. to give up something in exchange for the 3 "quality"  home games it will get from us, Mercer and Evansville. Buuuut,  I doubt it too.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem playing at Evansville and Ohio as long as we get a return engagement or its substantial equivalent. So if this turns out to be a straight up deal with no return games then it would seem that we have valued home games with Mercer and Alcorn St (the Chicago St of the south) to be just as valuable as future games with Ohio and Evansville. If that is the way it plays out let me suggest that we try to grab the slick used car salesman from Ohio that talked us and Mercer into this and offer him the job of running the Horizon League.  ;)

vusupporter

Mercer returns eight of its top nine scorers from a 24-win team which lost to Florida Gulf Coast in the A-Sun finals and beat Tennessee in the first round of the NIT.  That is a pretty high quality home game right there.

classof2014

Seems like a rather strong OOC schedule is starting to take shape. Will be a good test for a young team with a lot of new pieces coming into place this season. Looking forward to tipoff of our first exhibition game.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on August 29, 2013, 08:16:30 PMQuote from: valpotx on August 29, 2013, 10:56:30 AM

Joshua Bell!

Yes, DC, but Tx is on to something...even that wasn't original (had been done in Chicago in 1930 as well).
http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bell.asp

Now back to our awesome schedule.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

zvillehaze

At Evansville on November 21.  http://gopurpleaces.com/news/2013/8/30/MBB_0830130605.aspx

Wish this were a weekend game so more Valpo fans could make the trip ... The Ford Center is a great venue for college basketball.

bbtds

(I thought I should move this further along in the thread)

Here's the recap of the schedule so far from the posts in this thread:

Oct. 26     Hillsdale (MI)  exhibition
Nov. 2      Robert Morris (IL)  exhibition
Nov. 8      Murray State
Nov. 10     North Park
Nov. 13     at Illinois  (6:30 p.m.)
Nov. 17     at Ohio U
Nov. 21     at Evansville
Nov. 23     James Madison
Nov. 26     Central Florida
Nov. 29     Mercer
Nov. 30     ? ? ? ?
Dec. 4      at Ball State
Dec. 7      Saint Louis
Dec. 14     Loyola Marymount (2 p.m.)
Dec. 22     at Central Florida
Dec. 20-23 Rio Grande (OH) or Southeastern at Orlando
Dec. 29     at East Tennessee State
Jan. 2        UIC
Jan. 4        at Oakland
Jan. 10      Wright St
Jan. 15      at Detroit
Jan. 18      Milwaukee
Jan. 23.     at Youngstown St
Jan. 25      at Cleveland State
Jan. 29      Green Bay
Feb. 1       at UIC
Feb. 7       Detroit
Feb. 9       Oakland
Feb. 15     at Milwaukee
Feb. 20     at Green Bay
Feb. 22     Youngstown St
Mar. 1       Cleveland St

no date yet--Alcorn St

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on August 28, 2013, 03:59:23 PM
and we can add an exhibition against Hillsdale on October 26.

Are you sure that this Hillside exhibition game is really happening? There is only one Hillside College in the United States and they don't list us on the men's basketball schedule on their athletics website. If you were a Div. II college and had scheduled a Div. I team wouldn't you want to publicize it?

http://www.hillsdalechargers.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/schedule

valpopal

Quote from: bbtds on September 01, 2013, 01:26:59 AM
Quote from: valpopal on August 28, 2013, 03:59:23 PM
and we can add an exhibition against Hillsdale on October 26.

Are you sure that this Hillside exhibition game is really happening? There is only one Hillside College in the United States and they don't list us on the men's basketball schedule on their athletics website. If you were a Div. II college and had scheduled a Div. I team wouldn't you want to publicize it?

http://www.hillsdalechargers.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/schedule

Since my post, the Hillsdale game has been confirmed by VU. By the way, two years ago Valpo nearly lost to Hillsdale, winning 73-71 on a 3 pt. play by Kevin with only 5 seconds left in the game. It was Bryce's first game as head coach.

http://valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2011-12/11132/valpo-downs-hillsdale-73-71-in-exhibition-action/

Here is video of the last 30 seconds in that game, though the final score listed is incorrect:
VALPO vs HC