• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013-2014 schedule

Started by oklahomamick, May 10, 2013, 11:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

This year's schedule is what we were hoping to have. Last year, our out of conference schedule was poor, 4th in the HL (5th if we added Oakland), and our national rank was 219. This year, our non-conference schedule is 2nd in the conference (only Oakland has a stronger one). It is too early to see what our national rank will be, but it should be a lot better.

humbleopinion

And we get a high RPI for the OOC without scheduling games where we are doomed to be embarrassed by a top 10 team!
Beamin' Beacons

wh

Quote from: valpopal on September 02, 2013, 10:24:19 AM
This year's schedule is what we were hoping to have. Last year, our out of conference schedule was poor, 4th in the HL (5th if we added Oakland), and our national rank was 219. This year, our non-conference schedule is 2nd in the conference (only Oakland has a stronger one). It is too early to see what our national rank will be, but it should be a lot better.

Every program in the HL should be scheduling like Valpo or Oakland - but they're not.  Some of the OOC schedules and partial OOC schedules I've seen so far are pathetic.  Every year since we joined the HL, old line regulars on these other HL boards engage in discussions about what it's going to take to become a multi-bid conference, while the programs they support keep spitting out crap OOC schedules. In general three factors dictate whether a non-BCS conference ultimately becomes a multi-bid league: quality of recruiting, quality of coaching, and quality of OOC scheduling. In large part HL teams fall short in all three areas every year.

Following is the OOC scheduling rule the A-10 requires all of its members to follow:

Atlantic 10 non-conference scheduling rules

8.04 The following requirements must be met by all Atlantic 10 men's basketball teams. The penalty for non-compliance is outlined in the Conference Constitution and Bylaws.

A. Each men's team must maintain a 1.8 average for all non-conference games schedules. The RPI at the conclusion of the NCAA Tournament of the preceding season will be used for the pre-season analysis and the current season's pre-NCAA tournament RPI will be used for post-season analysis. The point values are as follows:

Ranked 1-50 in the RPI: 4 points
Ranked 51-100 in the RPI: 3 points
Ranked 101-125 in the RPI: 2.5 points
Ranked 126-150 in the RPI: 2 points
Ranked 151-175 in the RPI: 1 point
Ranked 176-200 in the RPI: 0.5 point
Ranked 201+ in the RPI: 0 points

B. Any Atlantic 10 institution playing a non-conference game against an opponent from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, SEC PAC-10 or Big East will receive no less than 2 points, regardless of the team's RPI.

C. Any Atlantic 10 institution playing a non-conference game against an opponent from Conference USA or Mountain West will receive no less than 1 point, regardless of the team's RPI.

If HL teams had to follow this formula, I shudder to think how many of these garbage OOC schedules I've seen so far would have to be scrapped.  We were as guilty as anyone last year.  We assembled an excellent team, but put together a crap OOC schedule.  Wright State has done the same this year - good team, crap schedule.  One thing Butler consistently did was not only recruit well, but schedule well. 

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 31, 2013, 09:24:18 AM
even that wasn't original (had been done in Chicago in 1930 as well).
http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bell.asp

Interesting!  The same Strad!  If he had played the same Strad in the subway, that would have really been spooky.  Missed it by a few years.

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 31, 2013, 09:24:18 AM
Quote from: agibson on August 29, 2013, 08:16:30 PMQuote from: valpotx on August 29, 2013, 10:56:30 AM
Reminds me of when a famous violinist played in the subway of NYC in the last few years as an experiment to see how many people would just walk on by.  Only a few people even seem to be realizing what these guys are doing...

Joshua Bell!

Yes, DC, but Tx is on to something...even that wasn't original (had been done in Chicago in 1930 as well).
http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bell.asp

Now back to our awesome schedule.
When I first saw this I immediately thought of a time when it was done in DC.  I remember the Gene Weingarten article.  Wished I had passed by on that day.  I would not have recognized Bell, but the sound from the Stradivarius and Bell's performance would have indicated someone other than a street performer. 

agibson

Quote from: covufan on September 03, 2013, 11:27:26 AMbut the sound from the Stradivarius and Bell's performance would have indicated someone other than a street performer. 

I wonder, actually.  There are some really good street performers.  (Indeed, probably some pretty legit musicians who sort of enjoy the public scene, and are happy to pick up a few bucks on the side while getting in some sort of practice.)

In Paris, in the Metro, etc. they have to audition.

ETSUfan1

The ETSU game is December 29th on ETSU's campus at the MSHA Athletic Center.

valporun

I wish for the Evansville game that we could use HL referees, but sadly, we're probably going to be stuck with MVC refs just waiting to bite on the "ejecting a Drew" from the game, or taking the game away from the players on the floor by making it more about them and their phantom basketball game.

talksalot

UDM just posted their schedule....

Valpo @ Calihan WEDNESDAY, January 15th

UDM @ the ARC on FRIDAY, February 7th.

talksalot

And Green Bay just released theirs....

Wed Jan 29th at the ARC

Thursday February 20th at the Resch Center

OOC schedule includes these home games at the Resch Center,
Wisconsin
Minnesota-Duluth
Virginia
Tennessee Tech
Fairfield
St. Francis (Ill)

OOC Road Games:

Great Alaska Shootout:   (Pepperdine in game 1)
Eastern Michigan
South Dakota
Texas Southern
Arkansas-Pine Bluff

Looking at the Titans' OOC...

Home games:

UM-Dearborn
Florida Atlantic, Toledo, Stony Brook, Titans hosting the 2K sportsClassic, Wounded Warrior Project Trny
Rhode Island
Indiana Tech
Bethune Cookman

OOC Road games
South Alabama
UConn
James Madison
South Florida
Toledo (H&H)
NC State
Akron
Bowling Green

talksalot

So, I added the last few games I listed, and the day of the week:

Sat Oct. 26     Hillsdale (MI)  exhibition
Sat Nov. 2      Robert Morris (IL)  exhibition
Fri Nov. 8      Murray State
Sun Nov. 10     North Park
Wed Nov. 13     at Illinois  (6:30 p.m.)
Thu Nov. 21     at Evansville
Sat Nov. 23     James Madison
Tue Nov. 26     Central Florida
Fri Nov. 29     Mercer
Sat Nov. 30     ? ? ? ?
Wed Dec. 4      at Ball State
Sat Dec. 7      Saint Louis
Sat Dec. 14     Loyola Marymount (2 p.m.)
Sat Dec. 21 Rio Grande (OH) or Southeastern at Orlando
Sun Dec. 22     at Central Florida
Sun Dec. 29     at East Tennessee State
Thu Jan. 2        UIC
Sat Jan. 4        at Oakland
Fri Jan. 10      Wright St
Wed Jan. 15      At Detroit
Sat Jan. 18      Milwaukee
Thu Jan. 23     at Youngstown St
Sat Jan. 25      at Cleveland State
Wed Jan. 29      Green Bay
Sat Feb. 1       at UIC
Fri Feb. 7       Detroit
Sun Feb. 9       Oakland
Sat Feb. 15     at Milwaukee
Thu Feb. 20     at Green Bay
Sat Feb. 22     Youngstown St
Sat Mar. 1       Cleveland St

Still looking for that elusive OHIO and ALCORN STATE game, and the return trip to Wright State is the only remaining HL game we can't pin point..... and we have no idea who we are playing on Saturday December 21st in Orlando.  If the HL "ESPNU game of the week" is still on Friday nights we have two, both in the ARC, Wright and UDM.

talksalot

The Bobcats released their schedule:   Sunday, Nov 17... at Ohio, time is TBA... on almost their entire schedule.   

According to their press release, The Ohio Classic Tournament, gives the bobcats 4 home games: Valpo, Mercer and Evansville and Heidelberg College Student Princes (11-15 last year at D-III, and has not played a D-1 opponent in at least 3 years)       

vu84v2

Green Bay getting Virginia and Wisconsin at home is very impressive.  Detroit's home schedule looks abysmal.

agibson

Quote from: vu84v2 on September 05, 2013, 12:51:15 PMGreen Bay getting Virginia and Wisconsin at home is very impressive.

Especially after they beat them in 2009!  But, perhaps a 3-1 isn't crazy...

Nice to add Virginia, for sure.

valporun

The Resch Center isn't a small facility, small in the sense of <6,000 seats, so some of the bigger schools will go play there. Also, doesn't the UW system require Madison to play Green Bay and Milwaukee as a part of their state funding agreements? I know Iowa has the requirement that the D-1 state universities (Iowa, State, and UNI) have to play each other, but didn't know if Wisconsin had the same requirement.

historyman

Quote from: agibson on September 05, 2013, 01:04:54 PMNice to add Virginia, for sure.
I'm sure the Virginia game is due to former GB player (and son of their former coach), Tony Bennett, being Virginia's coach.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

I've updated the days of the week also:

Here's the recap of the schedule so far from the posts in this thread:

Sat.  Oct. 26     Hillsdale (MI)  exhibition
Sat.  Nov. 2      Robert Morris (IL)  exhibition
Fri.   Nov. 8      Murray State
Sun. Nov. 10     North Park
Wed. Nov. 13     at Illinois  (6:30 p.m.)
Sun.  Nov. 17     at Ohio U
Thur. Nov. 21     at Evansville
Sat.  Nov. 23     James Madison
Tue.  Nov. 26     Central Florida
Fri.    Nov. 29     Mercer
Sat.   Nov. 30     Cincinnati Christian
Wed.  Dec. 4      at Ball State
Sat.   Dec. 7      Saint Louis
Sat.   Dec. 14     Loyola Marymount (2 p.m.)
Sun.   Dec. 22     at Central Florida
Sat.   Dec. 21    Rio Grande (OH) or Southeastern at Orlando
Sun.   Dec. 29     at East Tennessee State
Thur.  Jan. 2        UIC
Sat.    Jan. 4        at Oakland
Fri.     Jan. 10      Wright St
Wed.   Jan. 15      at Detroit
Sat.    Jan. 18      Milwaukee
Thur.   Jan. 23.     at Youngstown St
Sat.    Jan. 25      at Cleveland State
Wed.   Jan. 29      Green Bay
Sat.    Feb. 1       at UIC
Fri.      Feb. 7       Detroit
Sun.    Feb. 9       Oakland
Sat.     Feb. 15     at Milwaukee
Thur.    Feb. 20     at Green Bay
Sat.     Feb. 22     Youngstown St
Sat.     Mar. 1       Cleveland St

no date yet--Alcorn St

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on September 05, 2013, 04:57:33 PMSat.   Nov. 30     ? ? ? ?
The fact that Ohio will be playing Heidelberg as its 4'th Ohio Classic game and that both Evansville and Valpo have home games with TBD opponents suggests to me that Alcorn St may have balked on everything but their appearance at Mercer. Every day that goes by without a full schedule reduces my expectations even more. I hope that I am wrong but this just doesn't feel right. If we somehow get handed another D-II or III opponent my next post might get pretty interesting.  ;)

talksalot

Well... I have it on fairly good authority the ? ? ? ? information on Saturday Nov. 30 is will be The Eagles.  AND, this Eagles team... we've never played before.... Cincinnati Christian University.    I was really hoping to play the Heidelberg student princes.

Looking at the Valpo record book, Valpo played the Cincinnati YMCA in 1923-24... and Valpo won  24-21... but that YMCA team was not a predecessor to CCU. 

Cincinnati Christian University began on September 23, 1924, two institutions—McGarvey Bible College in Louisville, Kentucky, and Cincinnati Bible Institute in Cincinnati, Ohio—merged to form the Cincinnati Bible Seminary

agibson

But, will they be better competition than, say, the Valparaiso YMCA All-Stars?

justducky

Quote from: talksalot on September 05, 2013, 09:26:37 PMWell... I have it on fairly good authority the ? ? ? ? information on Saturday Nov. 30 is will be The Eagles.  AND, this Eagles team... we've never played before.... Cincinnati Christian University.    I was really hoping to play the Heidelberg student princes.
Well it didn't look like a good deal with Alcorn St. in the mix but things have gone even further downhill if you try to substitute in this bunch. If this is true then somebody has overpromised and under delivered. So-----it would appear to me that Ohio would need to find a way to make things right or be taken to the gravel.

I should be able to find a good HS game that night. Anybody care to join me? Maybe talksalot can jump ship too and we can go as a group, nobody would be at the ARC anyway!

talksalot

Quote from: agibson on September 05, 2013, 09:52:27 PMBut, will they be better competition than, say, the Valparaiso YMCA All-Stars?

It would be kinda funny to have the Valpo YMCA kids as the halftime entertainment...Just looking through the ccuniversity.edu athletics site... they are excited about the 6'6 big man they signed to join their team...and their 2nd year head coach was part of their 1986, 1987 and 1988 Three-Peat as National Champions!  Last year, Eastern Kentucky beat them by 33, ... here was LAST years' roster... #quakinginmyboots

2   Nick Wake   SO   G   5-10   170   Goshen, Ohio
3   Ben Leatherman   FR   F   6-4   200   Fort Wayne, Indiana
11   Perry Smith Jr.   SR   F   6-1   190   Indianapolis, Indiana
13   Kenny Gaynor   FR   F   6-7   220   West Chester, Ohio
14   Joe Shellman   JR   G/F   6-3   175   Cincinnati, Ohio
20   Jeff McClintic   JR   G   6-0   175   Brownsburg, Indiana
21   Will Masse   FR   G/F   6-5   185   Lyon, France
22   Austin Irrer   FR   F/C   6-8   225   Homeschooled
23   Mike Hill   JR   G   6-2   165   Cincinnati, Ohio
24   Bryan Koors   FR   G   6-0   160   Hebron, Kentucky
30   DJ McCommons   FR   G   6-1   160   Dayton, Ohio
32   Elliot Young   FR   G   6-4   200   Williamsburg, Ohio
34   Nik Miller   FR   C   6-6   225   Plainfield, Indiana
42   Matt Brown   FR   G   6-1   175   Center Grove, Indiana

LaPorteAveApostle

The important thing to remember is that it's always better to play a non-D1 than a Chicago St.-level tomato can, because those don't count against your RPI the way CSU does.

Alcorn was 311 last year.  Who needs 'em?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

The Horizon League season television schedule has been released. Valpo has six broadcast games, five at the ARC:

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/horizon-league-espn-announce-2013-14-mens-basketball-tv-schedule.html

Kyle321n

Quote from: valpopal on September 06, 2013, 10:03:22 AM
The Horizon League season television schedule has been released. Valpo has six broadcast games, five at the ARC:

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/horizon-league-espn-announce-2013-14-mens-basketball-tv-schedule.html

It's starting to get embarrassing that we've been able to put together at least 30 games for Valpo, there's a listing of what games will be on TV, and they haven't officially announced their schedule...
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer