• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013-2014 Season

Started by classof2014, May 16, 2013, 11:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

Hopkins???   Too many people are still drinking the "Butler cool-aid"

valpotx

We will not finish worse than 4th place.  What a joke of a publication to pick us 7th.  We aren't like other HL teams that have to completely rebuild after graduating players with Bryce as our coach.  It takes a freak occurrence for us to be in the bottom third, like 2009-2010 when 2 key players left before finishing (Bouchie and Haanpaa).
"Don't mess with Texas"

EddieCabot

This article is a month+ old, but I'll post it because I don't recall seeing it before.  http://www.thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=1169  I sort of see where they're coming from, but hard to believe they didn't even mention the potential of Capobianco and Dority to have big years.

I'm not sure if it should go here or in a new thread, but now that the roster and schedule have been finalized, I'd be interested to see predictions on win/loss for the upcoming season.  Maybe someone could start a thread with one of those poll things?

EddieCabot

Quote from: classof2014 on May 16, 2013, 11:46:08 AM
With the latest signing of Gueye all of the players for next year are set in stone. There is still a lot of question on who will start and who will play where.

Here's my depth chart.

At the PG - Carter (once available), Dority (I think he's more of a 2), Williams
2 - Dority (after Carter is available), Coleman, Davidson
3 - Rossi, Peters, Yeo
4 - Capo, Chadwick, Adekoya
5 - Gueye, Fernandez

I think this will be a fun year to watch. Way more questions than last year, tons of new faces as well. Looking forward to October for the first pre-season game. Still a lot of questions surrounding this team and a ton of unknowns as well.

Opinions.... COMMENCE

Other than Rossi, I think 2014's depth chart from a few months back still looks pretty good.  From 30,000 feet, it looks like Adekoya and Davidson will be the freshmen who struggle for PT, so it will be interesting to see if either is interested in redshirting this year.

vu72

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 16, 2013, 06:24:42 PMit looks like Adekoya and Davidson will be the freshmen who struggle for PT,

Quite possibly but Adekoya and Peters were probably the highest rated players in the freshman class.  Given the depth at the 2 and 3 I could see Yeo possibly redshirting as well as Davidson.  Other than Peters they all may have a hard time getting PT.  The older guys will be very solid.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on September 16, 2013, 08:24:08 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on September 16, 2013, 06:24:42 PMit looks like Adekoya and Davidson will be the freshmen who struggle for PT,

Quite possibly but Adekoya and Peters were probably the highest rated players in the freshman class.  Given the depth at the 2 and 3 I could see Yeo possibly redshirting as well as Davidson.  Other than Peters they all may have a hard time getting PT.  The older guys will be very solid.

I've not seen those guys play, so I was just asking.  I just didn't know if Adekoya could get minutes ahead of Gueye/Fernandez/Capobianco/Chadwick.  That's a pretty solid group of upperclassmen ... if he's better than those guys, then that's great news for Valpo.

chef

Yeo will not redshirt. He's been impressive and will be in the rotation. Adekoya could get some minutes at the "3".

valpopal

I agree with Chef. I have watched them playing in the gym a couple of times, but I especially can't wait to see Yeo, Peters, and Adekoya develop in real game situations. I also have thought Adekoya would be good at the 3 position in some court combinations. He is strong and a good rebounder. Imagine the rebounding potential of a front line with Gueye, Capobianco, and Adekoya.

Yeo and Peters appear to be real scorers who could put up big numbers some nights if given the minutes. Of course, they will be competing against more mature and experienced players, and they will be competing for playing time with experienced teammates who are looking to secure places in the starting lineup: Carter, Dority, Coleman, Capobianco, Gueye.

However, just like last year, this team probably won't really begin to come together or find their roles until Carter is eligible and league play starts. It is going to be an interesting up and down season, admittedly frustrating at times, which will require patience from coaches and players as well as the fans.

justducky

I am not sure that anyone will redshirt unless they are injured. The team will start the year with only 11 players and not get Carters services until the 12'th game so I think that Williams and Davidson might get more early season playing time than we would like to see because we will need them. (trial by fire). When Carter starts playing they may rarely leave the bench because we will have sufficient depth without them, but until then they could log some significant minutes.(maybe not all of it too pretty).  ;)

I see neither a need , a desire, or any clear advantage in redshirting Adekoya either. These freshmen jumped in here together in a rebuilding year and we should give them an opportunity to show us what they can do.

vu72

Quote from: justducky on September 17, 2013, 12:43:19 AM
I am not sure that anyone will redshirt unless they are injured. The team will start the year with only 11 players and not get Carters services until the 12'th game so I think that Williams and Davidson might get more early season playing time than we would like to see because we will need them. (trial by fire). When Carter starts playing they may rarely leave the bench because we will have sufficient depth without them, but until then they could log some significant minutes.(maybe not all of it too pretty).  ;)

I see neither a need , a desire, or any clear advantage in redshirting Adekoya either. These freshmen jumped in here together in a rebuilding year and we should give them an opportunity to show us what they can do.

I doubt it.  Think "reloading".
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

classof2014

Quote from: vu72 on September 17, 2013, 08:26:10 AMI doubt it.  Think "reloading".

I agree, I think this season will be more of a "reloading" type year. Yes, there are a lot of unknowns about the team but what we do know is both Capo and LVD are very good players who I believe are both ready to be top tier HL players. Coleman is one of the most athletic players in the HL and I believe he will be the biggest "surprise" on the team and will step up into the Matt Kenney role. Let us not forget we do have the biggest player in the HL in the Moose. Only one other team in the HL has a player above 7 foot and that's GB with Brown who is one of the most overrated players in the HL, he just happens to be a 7 footer who is a decent shooter other than that he's nothing special and he'll get eaten alive.

Once Carter becomes eligible in December there will be 7 players on our team that have played NCAA basketball and I can guarantee at least one of the five freshmen will step up and have an impact on this team.

Obviously this year has a lot of unknowns and questions but I would be shocked if we aren't competing for another HL title. We are returning 4 players from last years team and two that had to redshirt as well, so they know Drew's system. Let us not forget we have the 2 best coaches in the HL.

vu72

Quote from: classof2014 on September 17, 2013, 10:02:17 AM
Quote from: vu72 on September 17, 2013, 08:26:10 AMI doubt it.  Think "reloading".

I agree, I think this season will be more of a "reloading" type year. Yes, there are a lot of unknowns about the team but what we do know is both Capo and LVD are very good players who I believe are both ready to be top tier HL players. Coleman is one of the most athletic players in the HL and I believe he will be the biggest "surprise" on the team and will step up into the Matt Kenney role. Let us not forget we do have the biggest player in the HL in the Moose. Only one other team in the HL has a player above 7 foot and that's GB with Brown who is one of the most overrated players in the HL, he just happens to be a 7 footer who is a decent shooter other than that he's nothing special and he'll get eaten alive.

Once Carter becomes eligible in December there will be 7 players on our team that have played NCAA basketball and I can guarantee at least one of the five freshmen will step up and have an impact on this team.

Obviously this year has a lot of unknowns and questions but I would be shocked if we aren't competing for another HL title. We are returning 4 players from last years team and two that had to redshirt as well, so they know Drew's system. Let us not forget we have the 2 best coaches in the HL.

When does practice start?? :crazy:  When you think of last years starting lineup versus this years, talent aside, just consider the difference in height.  We had Kevin at 6'8" versus Moussa at 7', Ryan at 6'7" versus Bobby at 6'10", and Matt or Boggs at 6'4" versus who? maybe Alec Peters  at 6'7".  In the backcourt we had Erik at 5'11" (maybe) and Bogan at 6'1" versus (after the semester) Carter at 6' and possibly a guy like Coleman at 6'5" or Yeo at 6'4".  Then we can bring guys like Chadwick at 6'9" off the bench.  So if you, for this purpose, went with Peters, Moussa, Bobby, Carter and Coleman then our starting lineup this year would be a total of 15 inches taller with a lot more bulk.  Doesn't really prove anything but does point out that we will be bigger than most if not all teams we play.

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on September 17, 2013, 10:20:43 AMWhen does practice start??

Practices may begin two weeks earlier this year. From USA TODAY: "The 2013-14 season opens on Nov. 8, so that means teams will be allowed to begin practicing on Sept. 27." That is only 10 days away!  :dance:

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on September 17, 2013, 10:20:43 AM
When does practice start?? :crazy:  When you think of last years starting lineup versus this years, talent aside, just consider the difference in height.  We had Kevin at 6'8" versus Moussa at 7', Ryan at 6'7" versus Bobby at 6'10", and Matt or Boggs at 6'4" versus who? maybe Alec Peters  at 6'7".  In the backcourt we had Erik at 5'11" (maybe) and Bogan at 6'1" versus (after the semester) Carter at 6' and possibly a guy like Coleman at 6'5" or Yeo at 6'4".  Then we can bring guys like Chadwick at 6'9" off the bench.  So if you, for this purpose, went with Peters, Moussa, Bobby, Carter and Coleman then our starting lineup this year would be a total of 15 inches taller with a lot more bulk.  Doesn't really prove anything but does point out that we will be bigger than most if not all teams we play.

Very good analysis here.  Even when Valpo was dominating the Horizon over the last two seasons, they still struggled with the size of the BCS teams they faced (and to some extent, Detroit in the 2012 league finals).  For example, Broekoff and Van Wijk were great players for Valpo, but they combined to shoot 2-17 against MSU's frontcourt size.  I may be wrong, but I don't think Valpo beat a BCS team during the Broekhoff/KVW era. 

With the new roster, Valpo now has BCS size and the added benefit that many of those players have previously played at BCS schools.  This could be the year they break through and notch a win over a BCS opponent.  As vu72 points out, it will be difficult for any Horizon team to matchup with Valpo's size and talent.

wh

Quote from: chef on September 16, 2013, 10:56:19 PM
Yeo will not redshirt. He's been impressive and will be in the rotation.

Clay Yeo ‏@YeoCrusader11 12h
Weighed in at 193lbs today that's and 18lb increase since day 1

covufan

Quote from: wh on September 18, 2013, 05:54:07 AM
Quote from: chef on September 16, 2013, 10:56:19 PM
Yeo will not redshirt. He's been impressive and will be in the rotation.

Clay Yeo ‏@YeoCrusader11 12h
Weighed in at 193lbs today that's and 18lb increase since day 1

I think I gained like 30 pounds my first year at Valpo.  I'm sure Yeo's gain is better suited to playing basketball than my weight gain! ;)

VULB#62

6-4 193# is a solid body for a BB player.  Hope some extra speed came with the extra pounds.

FWalum

I know that it is a huge undertaking to review all the D1 schools in the country and come up with a preseason "68", but I am not sure how anyone looks at VU and doesn't think they garner a mention in the conference race.  Its not like Bryce has any experience doing this before... wait a second... didn't he do something similar in his first season?  Freshman coach loses 50% of the playing minutes from the previous year, adds in 3 transfers that didn't even practice with the team the year before, a big man who's bad back limited his production so much that some people wondered if he would even play and then the expected HL POY transfers to Michigan State.  Could it have gotten any worse?  And all the freshman coach did was win the HL regular season.  I know there are a bunch of intangables regarding this upcoming season, but I think it is much easier to see this team's potential when comparing it to the 11-12 team.  Ignore us if we don't have one of the best young coaching staffs in D1, or if we don't have a bunch of mature transfers from other decent programs, and a 7' defensive stopper in the middle along with one of the best point guards to come out of Illinois in recent years. Oh, by the way the incoming recruiting class is nothing to sneeze about either.  I think it is crazy to Ohhh and Ahhhh about Wright State and Green Bay when as a coach I would be salavating over the potential of VU's roster.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

classof2014

Quote from: FWalum on September 19, 2013, 09:37:25 AM

I know that it is a huge undertaking to review all the D1 schools in the country and come up with a preseason "68", but I am not sure how anyone looks at VU and doesn't think they garner a mention in the conference race.  Its not like Bryce has any experience doing this before... wait a second... didn't he do something similar in his first season?  Freshman coach loses 50% of the playing minutes from the previous year, adds in 3 transfers that didn't even practice with the team the year before, a big man who's bad back limited his production so much that some people wondered if he would even play and then the expected HL POY transfers to Michigan State.  Could it have gotten any worse?  And all the freshman coach did was win the HL regular season.  I know there are a bunch of intangables regarding this upcoming season, but I think it is much easier to see this team's potential when comparing it to the 11-12 team.  Ignore us if we don't have one of the best young coaching staffs in D1, or if we don't have a bunch of mature transfers from other decent programs, and a 7' defensive stopper in the middle along with one of the best point guards to come out of Illinois in recent years. Oh, by the way the incoming recruiting class is nothing to sneeze about either.  I think it is crazy to Ohhh and Ahhhh about Wright State and Green Bay when as a coach I would be salavating over the potential of VU's roster.

Wasn't it GB who had a bunch of players flat out say their coach is a heartless drill sergeant who doesn't care about the players on the team... And didn't they have like 5 guys opt to transfer out of the program as well, and don't they have one of the most overrated players in the HL??? I don't understand why people think they have a legitimate shot at winning the HL, last season they were supposed to be really good and well... they almost got lucky at the end but didn't they finish about .500.

I think we all know it'll probably be between Valpo and Wright State for the HL championship again. I could see Oakland or possibly CSU making a run at it but saying GB is one of the top two teams in the HL completely discredits whomever wrote that article.  :crazy:

valpopal

Kyle321n

Quote from: classof2014 on September 19, 2013, 09:49:37 AM
Wasn't it GB who had a bunch of players flat out say their coach is a heartless drill sergeant who doesn't care about the players on the team... And didn't they have like 5 guys opt to transfer out of the program as well, and don't they have one of the most overrated players in the HL??? I don't understand why people think they have a legitimate shot at winning the HL, last season they were supposed to be really good and well... they almost got lucky at the end but didn't they finish about .500.

I think we all know it'll probably be between Valpo and Wright State for the HL championship again. I could see Oakland or possibly CSU making a run at it but saying GB is one of the top two teams in the HL completely discredits whomever wrote that article.  :crazy:

I think Wright State is the class of the league this year.  They have the entire team returning from last year and if they stay healthy Arceneaux and Darling should be All-Conference players.  After that it's Oakland, Valpo and Green Bay.  I see why people are picking UWGB, Sykes is outstanding, and could be the PotY (or at least challenge Perry for it).  Fouse is one of the most athletic players in the league.  While I believe Brown is overrated, he's still a really good player.  As a basketball fan, I wish he would gain a little muscle, stay down low and actually rebound, but as a Valpo fan I want him to stay a stringbean. Green Bay also plays amazingly better at home.  I could see them being undefeated at home this season. I really want to catch a game up there just to see what is up with their crazy home court advantage.

Valpo is inexperienced.
Oakland is untested in the HL.
Detroit is rebuilding.
YSU has one good player, and he's not Lebron. 
CSU has a good sophomore, and not much else.
UIC is... Well Hayden Humes is the best player on their team.
Milwaukee still has Jordan Aaron shooting 25%

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valporun

I heard a lot of the "I'll do what the coaches want me to do" kind of speak. Nothing that really has me excited about what Chadwick will do in 2013-14. He sounds like a humble kid, but I hope what he said in this clip will translate better on the basketball court than it did here.

valporun

I have to agree with Kyle 321n, we have a lot of unknown variables to find in the equation known as the Valparaiso Crusaders Men's Basketball Team 2013-14. I did a little bit of evaluation of the roster, and I found 7 variables that we won't have true answers for until at least the first month of the conference season, in my opinion.

1) Roster- 5 True Freshmen we haven't seen play in anything more than YouTube clips from high school or AAU games, which mostly mean seeing their ability to dunk or score at-will.
2) 2 5th year Seniors in Capo and Gueye who might dominate the boards, but could also step on each other's toes for rebounds and claiming territory around the rim.
3) 2 True Seniors in Dority and Coleman, both haven't seemed like the most important cog yet, and we need both of them to step up big, but what is Coleman's role? We know what he can do in a few minutes, but how will that translate over 15 minutes or more a game?
4) 3 Unknown transfers in Carter, Chadwick, and Gueye. I mean we know what Carter did against us at St. Louis last season, but what will he be like after a year away from game action? What is Chadwick really like as a 3-4 style player? Will Gueye look dominant, but play a bit softer because of the lack of size and height in the middle? Could he be an issue in the fouls category?
5) Development of Vashil- Has he improved at all? Did his play for his home country help his development, or was it just to say they had a D-1 player on their roster?
6) Again, what will Coleman's role be?
7) Starting 5 changes like the weather with transfers and youth. When will we have a set starting 5 and a true bench rotation? I know a lot of you have stated what you believe the starting rotation and bench rotation will/could be, but I don't see as much pressure being placed on some of the freshmen as others have said since the offseason commenced. Will we have a true idea before conference play, or will we know a few weeks into conference play?

At this point, I don't have us in the same regard as a Wright State or a Cleveland State with Grady back in their lineup. Green Bay is getting so much noise because of what they supposedly return, but after all the talk about Wardle during the summer, it could be us against Nurse Rachet's insane asylum from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. We just have too many question marks, and I'm not ready to put these guys on a pedestal until we have some of the variables answered. I'm saying we'll be in 4th behind Wright State, Cleveland State, and either Green Bay or Oakland. Remember, Oakland has Travis Bader back for another year, and he knows how to create his shots and points, which could damage Dority or whomever has to body up to him on the perimeter.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Kyle321n on September 19, 2013, 10:16:58 AMMilwaukee still has Jordan Aaron shooting 25%
HE'S IMPROVED OVER THE SUMMER!?!??!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valporun on September 19, 2013, 10:42:37 AMI mean we know what Carter did against us at St. Louis last season
Sit on the bench and watch?  Well, he will be doing that for a bit (too long)
; )
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa