• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Powell NU asst. candidate

Started by wh, June 16, 2013, 05:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

LaPorteAveApostle

I believe I speak for everyone on this board when I say

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

ARCInsider

LOL @ the GIFs, but are they slowing the page down for anyone else?

vufan75

I noticed the Sun Times article wh posted is dated June 7th. I looked at the NU athletics website, and on June 13th a news release  is shown that announces the hiring of veteran coach Brian James as an Assistant Men's Basketball Coach. I wonder if this happens to be the coaching hire to replace former NU coach and primary recruiter Tavaras Hardy, who left for Georgetown? Or is this just a coaching hire designed to add experience to the staff to assist first time Head Coach Chris Collins? Earlier this offseason, NU also hired from Loyola's coaching staff Pat Baldwin, a young rising coach who I think also has been involved in recruiting. Either way, I hope Valpo and Coach Powell can find a way to work together so he stays at Valpo for a few more years. The strong Illinois connection Coach Powell brings has certainly paid dividends for Valpo in terms of being able to recruit Illinois players that we might not have been able to otherwise, but with Bryce as head coach I'd be confident he would find a good replacement given his connections at the college and pro level. I could certainly understand if offered the job at NU why Coach Powell might jump. I would imagine a higher pay level for assistant coaches, working for an elite level academic school that plays in a higher profile conference, etc.     

http://www.nusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/061313aac.html

vufan75

I answered my own and some other folks question re: Coach Powell and the assistant coach opening at Northwestern. Found this info at the Chicago Tribune website this morning, a brief article that is dated June 16th. NU hired another Loyola assistant coach, this time Armon Gates, to replace Tavaras Hardy. Official announcement to come sometime this week.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-06-16/sports/chi-loyolas-armon-gates-to-join-northwestern-basketball-staff-20130616_1_loyola-coach-porter-moser-tavaras-hardy-nu

wh

So, the MVC raids the Horizon League and takes the school with the worst men's basketball program. Then, Northwestern takes not one but two assistant coaches from that same losing men's basketball program.  Got it.   

zvillehaze

Now Andy Katz is reporting that Loyola assistant Jason Gardner will be joining Josh Pastner's staff at Memphis, leaving Loyola with another vacancy.

Kyle321n

Loyola's looking like a real good add for the MVC now.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

a3uge

Quote from: Kyle321n on June 17, 2013, 04:08:55 PM
Loyola's looking like a real good add for the MVC now.

#Sarcasm

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta