• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3/18/14 - 7:05pm CT: Valpo vs. Columbia Game Thread - First Round CIT

Started by valpo04, March 12, 2014, 04:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Pizza's good - what about admission?

Looks like they cut the ticket rate... $7.50 bleachers, $15 chairbacks.

But what about students?  Staff?  If they're beating the bushes, I assume that students, at least, are free?  But, I'm not immediately turning anything up.

As for whether the CIT gets a cut.  I figure it might work like the CBI did when these things were first getting started.  It's not that you pay to host a game, exactly.  But, you give them a cut, and you also give them a guarantee ($7 per head, for at least $35,000, or whatever).  Allegedly the CBI did pay travel - so it's not like they just pocket the $35k.

LaPorteAveApostle

CIT CHAIRBACKS:  ABOUT TWICE AS EXPENSIVE AS VU TUITION*

*tuition in 1859
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Quote from: agibson on March 16, 2014, 11:27:47 PMLooks like they cut the ticket rate... $7.50 bleachers, $15 chairbacks.

But what about students?  Staff?  If they're beating the bushes, I assume that students, at least, are free?  But, I'm not immediately turning anything up.

I'm just slow to read my email...

For faculty and staff, an upgrade (?) to the lower bleachers!
Show your University ID upon arrival to next week's game, and you will be admitted for free to sit in Section E of the lower bleachers. If you'd like to sit elsewhere, tickets are on sale now for the reduced price of $15 for chair backs and $7.50 for bleacher seats.
presumably students got a similar email and are, indeed, free.

HC

The price is right! I hope the upper deck is still open, my boys like to be up and moving and being up high avoids others getting upset.

a3uge

By the way, the game seems to be at 6 CT instead of 7 as implied by the thread title.

valpo04

Quote from: a3uge on March 18, 2014, 09:43:19 AM
By the way, the game seems to be at 6 CT instead of 7 as implied by the thread title.

Thanks. I got that info from the CIT release so it is EDT. 

aleavitt

The game is at our normal 7:05 p.m. CT tip time (as reflected on both our site and Columbia's site) - it appears there's just some confusion with the CIT on what time zone we're on.

valpo04

Quote from: aleavitt on March 18, 2014, 10:10:55 AM
The game is at our normal 7:05 p.m. CT tip time (as reflected on both our site and Columbia's site) - it appears there's just some confusion with the CIT on what time zone we're on.

Thanks for the clarification. Fixed again!

a3uge

Ugh CBS Sports has it listed as 7ET... I'm guessing they assumed 7pm ET because the press release never mentioned it being a Central Time Zone.

agibson

Weird - it was going to be, right?  There were links up a couple of days ago.  It looks like the new service... might still be free?  It certainly claims to be free, and I'm able to create an account, etc. without entering any billing info.  So, it may work.

http://www.watchcollegeinsider.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?db_oem_id=29600

I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's as good as HLN.

agibson

Maybe this has already been discussed here - I know Coleman and Capobianco's absences has been.  But, somehow, I noticed for the first time today the clear emphasis that Bryce is planing to put tonight on next year, and on the freshmen.  Admittedly, it was clear in the paper already a couple of days ago (maybe I missed the earlier Times article?) - but both beat stories hit it hard today.

Hopefully it means Yeo's ready to go, and not limited?

I'll be curious to see how the minutes work out - how much we see of LVD, and Moussa, etc.  And, I'll be very curious about the result!

Everyone talks about these C tier post-season tournaments as a chance for more practice, to start to get ready for next year, etc.  I get that, as a benefit.  But, conceptually, I guess I'm not quite ready to make that the main goal instead of "winning the game, winning the tournament".  It feels... pretty experimental to throw out a "mostly 2014-2015" lineup, based on fairly limited practice.

Hopefully it works out!  I'll have to fight off the disappointment if we end up looking like we did back in November, trying out rotations, etc. and end up dropping the game. 

Clearly losing Coleman and Bobby was going to hurt.  But, I didn't quite see this apparently rather complete "future" emphasis coming.

historyman

It is on the HLN also.

http://www.horizonleague.org/live/11349

and as valpo04 would be quick to point out the HLN site can also be accessed through this Valpo fan zone forum, now between the Other Sports category and the On The Horizon category in the Video & Chat section.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Quote from: historyman on March 18, 2014, 05:58:58 PM
It is on the HLN also.

http://www.horizonleague.org/live/11349

and as valpo04 would be quick to point out the HLN site can also be accessed through this Valpo fan zone forum, now between the Other Sports category and the On The Horizon category in the Video & Chat section.

Interesting that the page is still up.  But, is it linked from anywhere?  I wonder if it'll work?  valpoathletics an horizonleague.org (from their schedule, etc.) both seem to link to the new watchcollegeinsider.com page.

HC

I'm thinking LVD and Moussa play about the same they did before. Lots more Yeo and some Chadwick. It's about next years guys, but you still want to win...after all more games more chances to see what all these returners can do.

vu72

I hope it is on HLN and not controlled by the CIT. I'm currently on their site watching Wright State/East Carolina and I think Wright State is doing well--I don't know. See, there is no score showing and, the audio, is St.Johns v. Robert Morris is the NIT!  Very odd to say the least.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

So far, only the CIT site is playing video.  Nothing from the forum or HLN link.  They just confirmed that only CIT will work, and Todd says this is the smallest crowd this season...
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

rink

Pleasantly surprised that I didn't need to create a useless account to watch this.  First links I followed were asking me to register, but just going to watchcollegeinsider.com I was able to click on the schedule to watch the game without being pestered to create an account.

a3uge

LaPorteAveApostle

humbleopinion

HLN has an ap.  CIT requires flash - I get to use the game tracker on my iPad. >:(
Beamin' Beacons

rink

Well, that was terrible.  Columbia didn't look very good at all, we should pound a team like that.  What a crapfest of a year, just awful basketball at every turn.

govalpogo

This seems like a fitting end to a season filled with frustration and heartbreak.  Give Columbia credit, they hit the shots that they needed to.