• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #5 - Samford Bulldogs @ ARC 11/21/17 7PM Savannah Invitational #2

Started by talksalot, November 17, 2017, 02:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpower

Quote from: VU2014 on November 21, 2017, 04:08:16 PM
Quote from: vu72 on November 21, 2017, 03:59:58 PM
Is the Bulldog the most over used college mascot?

Yes
Division I
01. Bulldogs (15)
02. Eagles (15)
03. Tigers (12)
04. Wildcats (9)
05. Hawks (9)
06. Bears (9)
07. Panthers (8)
08. Cougars (6)
09. Aggies (5)
10. Huskies (5)
11. Lions (5)
12. Spartans (5)
13. Bison (4)
14. Bobcats (4)
15. Devils (4)
16. Knights (4)
17. Owls (4)
18. Raiders (4)
19. Rams (4)
20. Cardinals (3)

4-Year Colleges
01. Eagles (76)
02. Tigers (46)
03. Bulldogs (40)
04. Panthers (33)
05. Knights (32)
06. Lions (32)
07. Bears (30)
08. Hawks (28)
09. Cougars (27)
10. Pioneers (28)
11. Warriors (27)
12. Wildcats (27)

NativeCheesehead

I know this pertains more to the following two games but I wanted to put this out there before we all disappear for the holiday. Does anyone know if there will be an options to watch the two games down in Savannah?

VU2014

VU2014

The audio problems continue for the ARC. When I went to school I feel like we had these problems or at least I didn't notice them.
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/933135456207646720

crusadermoe

Ok.     How many dozens of fans turned out tonight?   

This is just one of two more D-1 home games. 

VU2014

Valparaiso 30, Samford 30, 3:33 1st half

Valpo needs to defend the perimeter better. Samford is also generating turnovers.

crusadermoe

Tevonn gets SO MUCH elevation before he shoots.   That and his defense seem like the tickets to a pro career.

a3uge

More Bradford, less Joseph. Offensively we're okay if we don't turn it over. Giving up easy, open looks on defense.

FieldGoodie05

Too many offensive rebounds given up for easy put back.  Smits needs punched in the gut on rebounding, boxing out.  I know it's hard because his waist and arms are so much higher than everyone else, but had his thumb up his _______ while Samford grabbed O-rebound and easy putback on numerous occasions.

Great to see Tevonn getting his.  Let's get some defensive stops!

wh

Quote from: crusadermoe on November 21, 2017, 07:25:59 PM
Ok.     How many dozens of fans turned out tonight?   

This is just one of two more D-1 home games. 

Even tonight's special promotion didn't seem to help attendance - "Be one of the first 25 cars and get your own parking spot in the ARC parking lot (compliments of students on break)"

a3uge

VUOR63

This team is fun to watch.  They play hard, they're athletic and appear not to be over-coached so their court personalities shine through.

crusadermoe

McMillan looking very confident and loose.    Never saw that coming.

VUCPB alum

This was the game we needed. A tight game for the majority where our guys had to show grit against a team that wasn't missing. I also loved Matt riding the hot line up and going small ball, I definitely wouldn't mind see a little more of it in the future. Also Kizer needs more playing time, every time he is on the court he galvanizes the team whether it be is rebounding or his calming presence

hailcrusaders

One of the Samford board posters said Valpo looked like "a bunch of thugs" (probably in reference to the Golder incident, but I didn't see the game), which is a description I haven't heard used on Valpo since the Capobianco/Anderson incident and Richie Edwards double technical against UWM.
#CrusadersForever

VUOR63

Haven't seen him play much but Golder kind of reminds me of Matt Barnes.  If he's on your team, you think he's tough.  If he's playing against you, you think he's a bully.

valpotx

Quote from: VU2014 on November 21, 2017, 06:53:59 PM
The last time Valpo played Samford was Dec. 14, 2002 at the ARC. Valpo won 87-79 (2OT).
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/a-needed-change-of-pace-for-valpo/article_d30c78ea-a74c-5f90-a4ff-b153cd3c5f12.html

Attendance (according to ESPN): 3,913 (saturday) http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=223482674

That is a really good turnout for a Non-Con game.

That was the norm ;).  We were pretty full for every home game, regardless of opponent.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: hailcrusaders on November 21, 2017, 09:07:32 PM
One of the Samford board posters said Valpo looked like "a bunch of thugs" (probably in reference to the Golder incident, but I didn't see the game), which is a description I haven't heard used on Valpo since the Capobianco/Anderson incident and Richie Edwards double technical against UWM.

Golder play was unnecessary, still enjoy him greatly.

McMillan and Burton starred down the Samford bench after they mini-run.  That seemed a little cocky, betting those two instances pissed off their fans.  I get that, but it's sure nice to be on THIS END of the athletic hate!!!!

valpolaw

Mileek was very impressive tonight. Golder got the team going again with a few nice dunks.

I'll be interested to see the next two games on the road and whether we can win them.

VUGrad1314

Don't mean to hijack the thread but... Kent State lost to SELA tonight. I know they're better than the score of the game would suggest  (same with Samford) but that's not a good loss to take on your own floor. Also isn't it interesting that Valpo beat Samford by the same score Loyola did? Maybe they might just be in the MVC race after all. Great stuff from Walker Golder and Kiser tonight. Both Walker and Bradford really seem to have improved their shot from distance. I love that this team is able to turn it on lock down and get the big buckets it needs. Hopefully we're able to keep doing this as the  schedule gets tougher. We're going to learn a lot more about this team between now and our date with Purdue, but so far so good. We look like a young athletic energetic hungry and deep team that will fight hard and play well. That should translate to a fair number of wins. 5-0 feels good. Now it's on to Savannah! Hopefully we can get a couple big W's there. Go Valpo!

valpopal

Most obvious stat of the night: Rebounds - Valpo 50 Samford 18. Smits and Sorolla only accounted for 9, which speaks to the athleticism and toughness of the others.

VULB#62

Hate to even suggest this but:...............  are we better than we thought we'd be?  We will at least enter the MVC portion of our schedule with a decent 2017 OOC resume' if we continue to play like this. At the least, we bring something to the table vs. what the previous addtion to the conference brought.