• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #22 - Wednesday Jan 24 7pm ARC - Evansville on ESPN3

Started by VU2014, January 21, 2018, 07:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

I'm seeing Valpo -3.5 (vs. Evansville) betting lines

talksalot

Here's a link to the Evansville Game Notes

http://gopurpleaces.com/documents/2018/1/23/012418_mbbnotes_atvalpo.pdf

MVC NCAA
    CATEGORY    Rank Rank Actual
Scoring Offense 9 315 67.2
Scoring Defense 5 31 65.1
Scoring Margin T-8 180 +2.1
Free Throw Pct. 2 24 .765
Field Goal Pct. 3 132 .456
Field Goal Pct. Defense 8 166 .434
3-Point FG Pct. 1 5 .422    Best in the league in making 3s
3-Point FG Pct. Defense 10 - .349   worst in the league in stopping 3s
Rebounding Offense 9 - 33.0
Rebounding Defense 1 - 30.6
Rebounding Margin 4 116 +2.5
Blocked Shots 8 239 2.9
Assists 6 200 13.5
Steals 8 224 5.9
Turnover Margin 4 - +0.00
Assist/Turnover Ratio 6 234 1.0
Offensive Rebounds 8 305 8.3
Defensive Rebounds 8 223 24.8

vu72

This will be our 84th meeting with the Purple Aces.  We have only played Butler and St. Joes more.  After next season they move to No.2.  They has five seniors and a red-shirt junior so lots of experience.  I checked a couple of their box scores and they were out rebounded and shot the ball like we have.  This is a very winnable game and I would think a must if we expect anything from this season. 

Easy plan.  Rebound, defend and shoot half way decently, especially from the foul line!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Still time to change, but right now it looks like this could be the lowest attended D-1 game this season. It feels like church in here.

VU2014

Tevonn picks up his first foul 30 seconds into the game  >:( Needs be smarter then that.

valporun

Quote from: wh on January 24, 2018, 06:47:55 PM
Still time to change, but right now it looks like this could be the lowest attended D-1 game this season. It feels like church in here.

How many Wednesday night classes are there? Wasn't there some snow and other weather issues in Valpo today? Probably with the cold too, a lot of people have found it easier to stay home, watch on ESPN3, and be able to put the kids in pjs, and let them lay on the floor to watch the tv, and then they'll be asleep by the time they would normally be home from a weeknight game, with school the next day.

nkvu

Four really stupid fouls to start. Two on Bakari.

Hope Bradford has game today but of course he doinked his first two free throws. Same old same old.

Feed to Golder for the jam was nice though.

mj

Hate to admit it but Bradford is a bust. The guy just isn't a D 1 basketball player. His ceiling is a poor man's Erik Buggs. Time to cut our losses and use his scholarship elsewhere.
I believe that we will win.

bigmosmithfan1

How on earth can you be a Division I basketball player and not be able to shoot free throws? It's ridiculous.

FieldGoodie05

How do you host recruits during MVC  home games with this putrid smelling mess.

I'm beginning to feel embarrassed by how poorly we execute.  It's a wonder we EVER get more FG attempts than our competition.  If we had a single player other than Bakari who could actually shoot.................

nkvu

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on January 24, 2018, 07:49:06 PM
How on earth can you be a Division I basketball player and not be able to shoot free throws? It's ridiculous.

Each one was worse than the one before.  Maybe he should try the Rick Berry method and shoot them underhand. He might accidentally make one.

NativeCheesehead

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteEach one was worse than the one before.  Maybe he should try the Rick Berry method and shoot them underhand. He might accidentally make one.

I wasn't referring to a single player, I was referring to the whole team. We are inexcusably bad at the FT stripe.

VUGrad1314

I want to believe in this team and in Lottich and the process but they make it so incredibly difficult. This  process is incredibly difficult to see. The improvement just doesn't seem to consistently be there from game to game and the same issues keep constantly biting us. Where is the light at the end of this long dark tunnel?

wh

They had a special halftime birthday celebration for "The Crusader."  You should have seen the expression on his/her/it's face. So touching. Also of great interest, I don't ever recall The Crusader's birthday ever being commentated before, but talksalot explained that it is his/her/it's 77th. That's special!

Sorry for the sarcasm. I'm a little edgy right now.  ;)

FieldGoodie05

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 24, 2018, 08:11:07 PM
Tevonn is a one trick pony, offensively of late.

Tevonn should never be a #1 scoring option on any team. He's a very good player but teams can game plan around him

mj

We are a bad basketball team.

Also, where the heck are the students? Studying? Sitting around in the dorms? How much is there to do in Valpo on a Wednesday night?
I believe that we will win.

bigmosmithfan1

I think what's most concerning is not just that this team makes the same mistakes over and over again, but there seems to be no effort to game plan around our weaknesses. Our defense is simply awful and our shooting is bafflingly bad. Tevonn deserved a lot better than this for his senior year.

VUGrad1314

Informal fan poll: Have we embarrassed our new conference with our performance so far ?

nkvu

When we need to hit a shot or a free throw, we couldn't hit water if we fell out of a boat.