• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Is Lottich the man?

Started by elephtheria47, January 24, 2018, 10:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

Amen, FW.....I guess we have alot of impatient people on here....and yes, Lottich is the Man!

crusader05

Someone suggested it for Bradford on one thread but I think it might be a good thing for all involved: Get a GOOD sports psychologist.

The last season and a half has been like a one two gut punch on everything. There is no way it isn't hurting morale of both  players and coaches. I still think a majority of what we're seeing is mental. The entire team and coaching staff has the yips and I think, after last year, losing Burton probably took a big toll on the players. I think Joseph even said it felt like last year but even worse.

This is something a good pep talk isn't going to fix, they need real work on team building and mental resiliency. God help us if there are any big transfers after this season. They really do just need a break.

VU2014

A quick google search of a few Sports Performance Physiologists in Indiana. Micah's performance has been horrendous and it can't just be skills. If I had to take a guess it's mental. Look at Micah's face when he goes to shoot free throws.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/sports-performance/in/dyer

wh

Continuing to play Micah in his current state is like throwing someone who's scared of water in the deep end, and watching them sink to the bottom every time.   Whatever his issues, he and the coaching staff need to work together in private to address them. If/when he shows sustainable improvement, reinsert him in the rotation. That may not be this year, by the way. At the end of the day, minutes should be earned, and he's not earning them right now.

EddieCabot

I also think that seeing a psychologist would be helpful ... can somebody recommend one for me?

VU2014

Quote from: wh on January 26, 2018, 01:35:40 PM
Continuing to play Micah in his current state is like throwing someone who's scared of water in the deep end, and watching them sink to the bottom every time.   Whatever his issues, he and the coaching staff need to work together in private to address them. If/when he shows sustainable improvement, reinsert him in the rotation. That may not be this year, by the way. At the end of the day, minutes should be earned, and he's not earning them right now.

I wouldn't mind the Coaches giving Micah the Parker Hazen treatment for the foreseeable future. Make him earn it or only put him when there is foul trouble. It becomes a little easier with Kiser coming back from injury but Kiser isn't going to light it up and isn't capable of running the point. When Bakari goes out I'd slide Max to PG and play Kiser as a swing guy. That's not ideal for offense but Micah deserve ZERO minutes. I feel bad saying that because I've heard he's a gym rat and puts in the work but he playing like a D2 end of the bench player most of the time he's on the court other then a few games of being a solid distributor.

This isn't a great backcourt after losing Joe Burton... Coach Lottich is playing with flawed roster right now. It's BADLY missing a reliable shooter.

Grade Valpo's Backcourt:
Good:
-Tevonn Walker (great defender, great athlete, not true a #1 scoring option)
-Bakari Evelyn (strong shooter when open, not a great defender yet, still developing but is talented and can create his own shot)

-Markus Golder (he's more of a swing Forward imo, but future is bright. He's just inconsistent game to game. But you can always rely on him for energy off the bench.)

Solid Reserve Quality:
-Max Joseph (not a strong shooter, good defender, can run the point if needed, solid depth but shouldn't be relied upon as a starter)

-John Kiser (not flashy but he can eat minutes, not a good scorer, solid defense, maybe you can put him in this category?)

BAD:
-Micah Bradford (he's bordering on bust but he has two years of eligibility left. Those could potentially 2 long seasons...)

Quote from: EddieCabot on January 26, 2018, 02:04:31 PM
I also think that seeing a psychologist would be helpful ... can somebody recommend one for me?

I'd take you over Bradford right about now.

VUfan

Sports Performance Physiologists in Indiana, do they make house calls to fans in Indiana?  :o 

vu72

Nope.  You are well beyond hope.  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

carsasm?

usc4valpo

FWAlum - these comments are not in appropriate or obscene - why should they be censored? Let's not go back to the Steinbrenner era in the 80s when they were masters at buffing a turd.

usc4valpo

Give Matt at least 4 years and let's see what happens. Cripe, they gave Carlson four years who may be the worst coach in Valpo history.

wh

IMO this thread does a disservice to the program. I have little doubt that our players and recruits and their families and friends follow the board to some degree. There's no reason to think otherwise. As a proponent of free speech, I'm not suggesting the thread be closed, but I do think that our second year coach that won the HL last year despite losing Jubril early and Alec late, and who started his 2nd season 8-0 before losing his highest rated player deserves a lot more respect than the premise of this thread gives him.

covufan

Where would Homer be after his second, third and fourth seasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU2014

WH, I agree for the most part. He deserves a heck of a lot more respect for the job he and the staff have done. Last season that team faced a ton of adversity all season and he still manage 24 wins and tied for 1st place in the regular season. This season the 8-0 start was impressive even if it wasn't pretty at times but we should have been expecting it to be a bumpy season after all the roster turnover and replacing most of the core of the team from last season. This is a lot of inexperience on one team. Expectations were raised after the 8-0 start and then things started come off the rails with Tevonn getting mono and Joe Burton letting down the team by not making grades. We should give him credit but it's fair game if someone wants to question Coaching decisions, imo. Nobody is above criticism. But it does seem completely silly to think we can judge a Coach after 1 1/2 seasons, when he hasn't been able to get a full 4 year recruiting cycle of his recruits in here and joining a new conference. This season has been frustrating for a lot of reasons that don't have to do with the coaches. I'd be for changing the title of this thread personally.

usc4valpo

Lottich should be around for awhile, but critiques should not be erased from this board.

vu84v2

I also agree that criticism should not be silenced, but I will add my voice to the comments that everyone should give Matt Lottich a chance. He is a very good coach leading a team that is having a bad run right now.

mj

I'm not saying Lottich should be fired. But you gotta look at what's happening on the court. Burton leaves the program, so and so gets injured. I get that.  :censored: happens. But you look at the product on the floor right now and you can only think....there's something lacking. No fundamentals. No semblance of running an offense. This is stuff that Lottich can control right now.

I believe that we will win.

bbtds

Also Micah should not be playing. He has no confidence to shoot, which he shouldn't be doing, he's not making good passes, all he does is pass the ball around the arc.

bbtds

WE MADE TWO FREE THROWS IN A ROW!!!!!

valpopal

The player taunting Mileek that led to a technical was a perfect representation of the lack of respect for Valpo's interior defense. Lottich needs to show video of that over and over again to the big men before the next game.

oklahomamick

Smits, Tevonn, and max are Bryce's players, everyone else is Lottich's?

Time out was just called after a 6-0 Illinois st run.  All of which we easy buckets.

Let's see what coach draws up out of the timeout
CRUSADERS!!!

valpolaw

Mileek appeared to be the only one that decided to play defense that time down the court and unfortunately will prob end up on sports center now. Not sure what the other 4 Valpo players were doing.

The coaches need to light a fire under this team. They are flat each and every game. Not a good look.

oklahomamick

These games aren't even competitive.....
CRUSADERS!!!

JD24

Quote from: mj on January 27, 2018, 10:02:02 PM..there's something lacking. 

Talent. It's right in front of everyone but no one wants to see it.

oklahomamick

So Lottich hasn't recruited very well....big big part of college coaching.  If you have better players you have a very good chance of winning.

None of the freshman he recruited can get on the court...besides mileek getting very little.  I guess freshman should redshirt in the mvc?  Do freshman play at other mvc schools?

Now the sophomore that coach recruited.  Sorrola blah...Bradford bust.

Good thing coach has been able to get some transfers....

But I would even question the transfers.  Not ability but attitude.  One has been dismissed.  Golder and Evelyn comduct themselves much different than max and Tevonn....I'll just say that 
CRUSADERS!!!