• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Saturday, 1/27 9pm @Illinois State ESPN2

Started by M, January 25, 2018, 10:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

I will be staying off twitter the entire game  :-X 

Not even sure what to say about this game. Hoping for a win (like always), but just want to see a good basketball game. 

Looking to improve my game thread record to 3-1 with this one.  Come on Crusaders, don't let me down!

VU2014

What the heck is with the 9pm start time? Are we playing this game on the West Coast or something?

Edit: I just realized this game is on ESPN2 so it probably has to do with the TV time slot. Let's hope Valpo ends it's losing streak of national TV games.

VU2014

Illinois State's press conference previewing the Valpo game. Illinois State makes both Coach Muller and a few players available to the media. I wish Valpo would record these midweek media availabilities.

http://goredbirds.com/watch/?Archive=6597&type=Archive

https://twitter.com/Valpo_Hoops/status/956656387848900608

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

Good news is yet another loss improves our draft pick for next year.

bbtds

On the road, IL ST struggling to some degree, let's be realistic

Valpo    49
Illinois State  71

crusadermoe

I'll take 73 to 58.  And sadly I think that will include an improved performance on our part and include a late comeback in garbage time.   

They will be fired up at home for ESPN2 and the crowd will probably fired up with some "spirits" at that hour of the night.

Not sure when we will right the ship, but I still hold out hope we can run off two in a row soon.

zvillehaze

For any fans making the trip, I think you'll enjoy Redbird Arena.  Really nice place to watch a game.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on January 26, 2018, 08:58:00 AM
On the road, IL ST struggling to some degree, let's be realistic

Valpo    49
Illinois State  71

Not sure how we would lose by 22 even on the road.  IL ST is however all over the place on wins and losses.  I think we could be in this one but we fall in a tight one, 71-66
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

We are not playing well (understatement).  We need to finally play a good away MVC game.  As frustrated as the fan base is, just image what the players and coaches are going through.  The first six (Division I) games the team played very well.  Since then, we've only played two good games and an OK game at Santa Clara.  From the stats in MVC play, we are getting beat on the boards and with fouls.  Our seniors should not be leading the team in rebounding, even though they are getting more minutes per game.  Hit the boards hard and anticipate position on defense.  Set some screens on offense.

We can't let Illinois St have any long runs - someone needs to step up with defensive effort or find the open man for a bucket.

If we play well...

Valpo   75
Ill St    73

Since this could be a close game, we need to hit our FTs - they're free, right?

valpotx

Quote from: covufan on January 26, 2018, 11:28:54 AM
We are not playing well (understatement).  We need to finally play a good away MVC game.  As frustrated as the fan base is, just image what the players and coaches are going through.  The first six (Division I) games the team played very well.  Since then, we've only played two good games and an OK game at Santa Clara.  From the stats in MVC play, we are getting beat on the boards and with fouls.  Our seniors should not be leading the team in rebounding, even though they are getting more minutes per game.  Hit the boards hard and anticipate position on defense.  Set some screens on offense.

We can't let Illinois St have any long runs - someone needs to step up with defensive effort or find the open man for a bucket.

If we play well...

Valpo   75
Ill St    73

Since this could be a close game, we need to hit our FTs - they're free, right?

No, they seem to be costing us this year... ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

PlumStreetBum

Prediction:
Valpo 58
IL State 67

The last 8 points are all scored by Golder and Evelyn in guardbage time to make it seem closer than it was.

I'm starting to think I know why our student section isn't filling up...  :-[

VU2014

Kenpom:

61 Loyola
90 Missouri State

116 Bradley
122 Indiana State
124 Northern Iowa
139 Southern Illinois
144 Evansville

166 Drake
168 Illinois State
169 Valparaiso

VU2014

https://twitter.com/Pg_Benson/status/957060322539556864

ISU cutting back rotation against Valley newcomer Valparaiso
Jim Benson jbenson@pantagraph.com 
4 hrs ago

Valparaiso might be more desperate for a win than the Redbirds. The Crusaders have lost four straight, including the last two at home to Loyola (70-54) and Evansville (75-65).

After winning three straight Horizon League regular-season titles, and five of the last six, Valpo has found the Valley to be more challenging.

It didn't help the Crusaders that 6-foot-6 junior forward Joe Burton, a transfer from Oklahoma State who was averaging 11.5 points in the first 10 games, was dismissed from school for academic reasons in late December.

"The Horizon League was just different philosophies at times," said second-year Valpo coach Matt Lottich. "Teams wanted to shoot quick and play offense. That's just not the case (in the Valley). Every team in this league prepares similarly to the way we have."

....... http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/article_e8a04ae6-1bcf-59b7-904a-d05689eb5b0b.html

VU2014

I'm seeing betting lines of Illinois St. -3.

I'm not feeling confident in pulling off the win tonight. Illinois State isn't world beaters but this is a National TV game which we haven't performed well in recent history.

VU2014

If you have any questions shoot him a tweet.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/957425198562729985

justducky

Is Bruniga still getting major minutes? If so I hope he doesn't rub salt in our wounds.  :'(

VU2014

Quote from: justducky on January 27, 2018, 08:05:41 PM
Is Bruniga still getting major minutes? If so I hope he doesn't rub salt in our wounds.  :'(

He's been forced into early playing time this season because of their roster situation. He's been getting a sizable amount of minutes.

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on January 27, 2018, 08:05:41 PM

For spelling and recognition purposes

http://goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5389

Taylor Bruninga

VU2014

A pretty cool thing from the Illinois Redbirds team. Wouldn't mind Valpo trying this but I would be worried about some kind of freak accident happening is the guys came down the student section bleachers.

https://twitter.com/Pg_Benson/status/957447812018593793

VU2014

Bakari dribbles way too much. He kills possessions with how much of the clock he burns. SMH