• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Saturday, 1/27 9pm @Illinois State ESPN2

Started by M, January 25, 2018, 10:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mj

I believe that we will win.

oklahomamick

Agreed, offense has no flow.  Appears there is no strategy.  Look at our screens, very seldom do we get open from a screen
CRUSADERS!!!

mj

Mileek is getting his lunch eaten on defense.

VU2014

So many defensive breakdowns so far for Valpo. Easy baskets for Illinois St

mj

If our offense drops off at all, this game will get ugly in a hurry.

mj

NativeCheesehead

oklahomamick

We won the hL 5 of 6 years.  Program was ready, not this group
CRUSADERS!!!

nkvu

We cannot defend any half decent big.

Oh, and we can't shoot either.

Otherwise we at least competed for a while.

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on January 26, 2018, 08:58:00 AM
On the road, IL ST struggling to some degree, let's be realistic

Valpo    49
Illinois State  71

11 points down this half, 11 points in the second half and Valpo loses by 22. Not too unrealistic.

mj

We're lucky to be down 11 at the half. Absolutely no interior defense. No rebounding. 3s aren't falling.

valpopal

First half: no positives inside or outside. It is bad enough that we are 0-8 outside from the three-point line, but inside isn't any better. The inside defense is absent, plus Valpo is losing on rebounding, 24-13, and they have given up 6 offensive rebounds.

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 27, 2018, 09:49:19 PM
We were not ready to join this league.

With this roster without Joe Burton yes we are missing weapons. It will be interesting to see how the recruitment changes the next few years. We're going to need to start recruiting athletes with length and that aren't complete liabilities with their shooting abilities.

Valpo is getting it's @ss kicked on the boards. Smits, Sorolla, and Mileek need to be better on the boards.

truth219

Its Marty time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

bbtds

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 27, 2018, 09:49:19 PM
We were not ready to join this league.

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 27, 2018, 09:52:27 PM
We won the hL 5 of 6 years.  Program was ready, not this group

So cheesehead might have been talking about this group. Although the conference switch was pretty much based on the program as a whole and not on last year's team.

M

Just don't have the athletes yet. Can't get open off these screens, when one is actually set. Also as mentioned earlier we can't seem to defend anybody with any size.

Bakari gonna get his 15 points when we are down and out of it.

On the plus side only 30 minutes til Will Ferrell and SNL.

valpolaw

Lucky to be down only 11. Offense is non existent again. This is likely going to get ugly in the second half.

NativeCheesehead

Smits inspires no fear on the defensive end. Remember when a forward would catch the ball in the post, pivot, see Vashil standing there and pass the ball back out? This is the opposite of that.

VU2014

valpotx

You have got to be $$$$ing kidding me with us always fouling a 3 pt jump shot each game!  We are a terrible team this year, but how in the hell do we have one of these EVERY GAME??
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

Sorlla's main contribution tonight has been offensive fouls.

He's pretty good at it too.

oklahomamick

Remember how bad our offense looked last year when Alec went down with the injury? 

We said, "give him some slack, he's missing his best player"

This year it looks the same.

We say, "give him some slack, we lost a good player and we are young"
CRUSADERS!!!

Just Sayin

Valpo gets no respect from players or refs. Treated like pushovers. Glaringly obvious. Perhaps they deserve the derision.

nkvu

Can somebody explain to me how they can have 16 guys when they're playing defense and we only get 3?

At least that's what it seems like to me.

VU2014

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 27, 2018, 10:28:11 PM
Valpo gets no respect from players or refs. Treated like pushovers. Glaringly obvious. Perhaps they deserve the derision.

What's also glaringly obvious is the talent gap and athleticism with these 2 teams. Specifically from the wings. They're team actually can shoot the ball and ours can't.