• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #24 - Wednesday Jan 31 7pm ARC - Indiana State on ESPN3

Started by VU2014, January 29, 2018, 01:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

This program needs a win. I don't care if it's an ugly win, we just need a win.

According to Paul we haven't lost to Indiana State at home since 1977 when one Larry Bird came to town. I don't see a Bird on that roster.
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/958012508589252608

DEFEND THE ARC!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXC-jJhFaUI

M

This might be the last time we are favored. I'll take Valpo 66-62 winners.

bbtds

Indiana State  68
Valpo   63

Flourish at the end knocks down 16 point Sycamore lead to a 5 point loss at the end.

covufan

Just win, baby!

Valpo    75
Ind St    68

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on January 29, 2018, 07:22:12 PMFlourish at the end knocks down 16 point Sycamore lead to a 5 point loss at the end.
I am beginning to view our late-game 5 guard press with some cynicism and that makes me uncomfortable. So far it has only managed to narrow the margin of loss in garbage time, near blow out games. Is this an approach we will seriously employ in future years? If not why are we using it now?

I don't need lopsided losses to look closer than they are, and I hope Matt doesn't either.

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on January 29, 2018, 09:53:18 PM
Just win

Where have I read this saying before? It reminds one of a certain signature.

\/ \/ \/ \/

EddieCabot

Kenpom has Valpo by 1.  I think Valpo wins if they slowed down Scott and Barnes ... if those two get going, it could be a struggle.  I'll say Valpo by 3.

VU2014

We've reached doormat status in other MVC fan-bases eyes. Tough season.

QuoteToday, 10:51 AM #11
BROKERZ
Quote Originally Posted by Bluethunder  View Post
Must win if we are going to stay out of Thursday.

It's not necessarily a must win because we need to move to 6-5, but it's a must win because it's Valpo. We've gone long enough in the conference schedule for it to be clear that Valpo is the doormat of the conference this year. They'll most likely end with only 4 wins or so, and we absolutely can't afford to be one of those 4 if we expect to keep pace with the rest of the teams around us. The upper-half teams aren't losing to Valpo and we can't either.

M

Meh, reading ml2's post maybe it was on another thread made me feel marginally better.  Somebody has to be in last place, as long as it doesn't last long I'm good.

VU2014

I don't think we'll be a "doormat" for long but it's still is just frustrating to see how this season turned after losing Joe and after Tevonn got sick.

I'm optimistic about the future.

vu72

This is the first interview where the reality is sinking in--we don't have the fire power to win--at this point.  That the loss of Joe Burton was a huge loss and that we are asking skills and performances from people who at this point just aren't ready.

I really liked the guarded expression of the truth.  We should hope for our young players to continue to grow and learn and that this "baptism of fire" will produce great things in the future.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

This "Valpo Basketball Preview" was my favorite by far. Credit to Todd for asking the right questions and to Coach for being candid. This was the first one where I thought he really opened up and being blatantly honest about the teams struggles and the transition from the HL to the MVC. Oddly enough it made me feel better about our future.

SanityLost17

Lottich basically just admitted we can't win games because we suck at 3 point shooting.

Fazekas will help, but can not and will not be the sole answer.  We either need to find another 3 point shooter with our remaining scholarship or our existing guys are all going to have to get a lot better at shooting from the outside.

VU2014

The key to this league is strong defense, hit the 3 ball well and rebounding. We need to start recruiting athletes that are strong shooters.

SanityLost17

Perhaps a future discussion. 

Do we have a history of players getting significantly better at shooting 3's through the course of their career?   Steady increases in percentage from year to year?  Perhaps a big jump after one season and then steady after that?   

Just curious if we can count on our current young guys developing into 3 point shooters or if we need to find more of them. 

vu72

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 30, 2018, 09:20:06 PM

Do we have a history of players getting significantly better at shooting 3's through the course of their career?   Steady increases in percentage from year to year?  Perhaps a big jump after one season and then steady after that?   

Just curious if we can count on our current young guys developing into 3 point shooters or if we need to find more of them. 

I don't think we will find a history of improving throughout a career but year over year I think the answer is yes.  Take Alec Peters for example.  He went from 38.3% his freshman year to 46.6% his sophomore year to 44.0% his junior year to 36.3% his senior year.  A lot of the decline was based on the type of defense thrown at him.

Much the same could be said of Rowdy who improved from 36.4% his freshman year to 44.8% his sophomore year.  Shawn Huff improved from 42.5% his freshman year to 46.9% the next.  Now, improvement for these guys could be based on the fact that they were great shooters to begin with.  If you look back at a guy like Tevonn, his stats have actually gotten worse as he shot 34.2% his freshman year then 30.4, 29.0 and this year 29.1. 

The bottom line I think is that if you are a shooter you can continue to improve but if you aren't, there's not magic by just spending hours in the gym practicing the same bad form.  Having said that it reminds me of my golf game!  Just beating balls with the same bad form isn't going to get me on the senior tour!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

underdawg

Good luck against the Trees tonight--but I'm hoping you don't start shooting really well till after you leave Carbondale this coming Saturday night.

VU2014

Quote from: underdawg on January 31, 2018, 12:20:21 PM
Good luck against the Trees tonight--but I'm hoping you don't start shooting really well till after you leave Carbondale this coming Saturday night.

Thanks but I don't think you have much to worry about with this team getting on a shooting hot streak. I think we have it in us for outlier hot shooting nights but not consistent productive shooting nights.

nkvu

Quote from: vu72 on January 31, 2018, 09:25:50 AM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 30, 2018, 09:20:06 PM

I don't think we will find a history of improving throughout a career but year over year I think the answer is yes.  Take Alec Peters for example.  He went from 38.3% his freshman year to 46.6% his sophomore year to 44.0% his junior year to 36.3% his senior year.  A lot of the decline was based on the type of defense thrown at him.

Much the same could be said of Rowdy who improved from 36.4% his freshman year to 44.8% his sophomore year.  Shawn Huff improved from 42.5% his freshman year to 46.9% the next.  Now, improvement for these guys could be based on the fact that they were great shooters to begin with.  If you look back at a guy like Tevonn, his stats have actually gotten worse as he shot 34.2% his freshman year then 30.4, 29.0 and this year 29.1. 

The bottom line I think is that if you are a shooter you can continue to improve but if you aren't, there's not magic by just spending hours in the gym practicing the same bad form.  Having said that it reminds me of my golf game!  Just beating balls with the same bad form isn't going to get me on the senior tour!

I seem to recall that Jake Diebler improved from a poor to a fairly decent three point shooter over the course of his career. I don't have any stats to back that up though. Jabril got to the point he could knock down some threes by his senior year. Don't recall many others.

valpotx

Dan Oppland and Raitis Grafs seemed to improve quite a bit on their 3 pt shot by their Sr years.
"Don't mess with Texas"