• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #24 - Wednesday Jan 31 7pm ARC - Indiana State on ESPN3

Started by VU2014, January 29, 2018, 01:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Back to the game at hand.  Looking back at the first time we played them we lost by 9 but were within 6 with 48 seconds to go.  Tevonn missed 4 3 pointers in the last 1:17.  This was back when Parker Hazen was still starting.  He played 9 minutes, 0 rebounds, 0 points.  Linssen played 18 minutes, 2 points.  Derrik only played 7 minutes, 0 points.  They shot 55.6% from the 3 and we shot 32.0%.  They had 29 FT attempts we had 17.

My point is that our player playing times have changed a lot.   We are at home so hopefully less foul discrepancy. I think we have a shot at a win.  Valpo 65-63
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Valpo 70
Indiana State 65

I'm feeling more optimistic tonight. It just feels like we're due for a win and a better shooting night. I also think this game will get "chippy" at times just like the first game. I don't think these teams like each other.

Does the rivalry get brewing tonight? I wouldn't mind some "bad blood" to get the juices flowing between the fan-bases and players.

IndyEIT777

The two things that need to be emphasized these last 8 games are preventing offensive rebounds and not allowing easy layups. Neither Derrick or Jay have been good at altering shots at the hoop. Derrick and Jay's rebounding in conference has not been good either (3.3 and 2.5 rpg respectively). Valpo (our bigs especially) have to do a better job cleaning up on the glass defensively and not give these better offensive teams 2nd chance points.

Offensively, it seems like the last 4-5 games, we spend a good 3+ minutes at the beginning of the game so focused on taking 3 point shots, it puts us in a hole from the start. We need to keep feeding Derrick and our guards need to keep driving inside while we are slumping from outside.

Hoping we get the W tonight. #GoValpo

VUGrad1314

Just win... That's all I've got to say before tipoff... I don't care how you do it I don't care about anything else... Just. Win. This. Game. Please. Go Valpo!!!

FWalum

Quote from: IndyEIT777 on January 31, 2018, 03:17:58 PMThe two things that need to be emphasized these last 8 games are preventing offensive rebounds and not allowing easy layups. Neither Derrick or Jay have been good at altering shots at the hoop. Derrick and Jay's rebounding in conference has not been good either (3.3 and 2.5 rpg respectively). Valpo (our bigs especially) have to do a better job cleaning up on the glass defensively and not give these better offensive teams 2nd chance points.
I would have to say that the ONE thing that needs to change is rebounding.  I am really surprised that very little has been made about our tremendous lack of rebounding.  Many times we are playing with an undersized (except for the single 7' player) lineup.  On offense we have our bigs 25' feet from the basket setting screens and once we sub out McMillan we have an extremely small lineup on the floor.  Rebounding is killing us even worse than the poor shooting.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: nkvu on January 31, 2018, 12:48:07 PM
I seem to recall that Jake Diebler improved from a poor to a fairly decent three point shooter over the course of his career. I don't have any stats to back that up though. Jabril got to the point he could knock down some threes by his senior year. Don't recall many others.

A couple of posts here cry out for stats! I'm only going to take the time for this one just now.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/28308/jake-diebler

Only 8 attempts freshman year. (3-8). 34.5% soph, 32.1% junior, 37.7% senior. That may be a significant change his senior year (and 57-151 so a half-decent sample size, after 109 and 87 attempts junior and sophomore years), but it's maybe hard to see an overall trend just from those numbers.

VULB#62

Quote from: IndyEIT777 on January 31, 2018, 03:17:58 PM
The two things that need to be emphasized these last 8 games are preventing offensive rebounds and not allowing easy layups. Neither Derrick or Jay have been good at altering shots at the hoop. Derrick and Jay's rebounding in conference has not been good either (3.3 and 2.5 rpg respectively). Valpo (our bigs especially) have to do a better job cleaning up on the glass defensively and not give these better offensive teams 2nd chance points.

Offensively, it seems like the last 4-5 games, we spend a good 3+ minutes at the beginning of the game so focused on taking 3 point shots, it puts us in a hole from the start. We need to keep feeding Derrick and our guards need to keep driving inside while we are slumping from outside.

Hoping we get the W tonight. #GoValpo

BTW, welcome to the forum 777. Maybe your handle will bring us some luck tonight.

IndyEIT777

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 31, 2018, 05:54:21 PM
Quote from: IndyEIT777 on January 31, 2018, 03:17:58 PMThe two things that need to be emphasized these last 8 games are preventing offensive rebounds and not allowing easy layups. Neither Derrick or Jay have been good at altering shots at the hoop. Derrick and Jay's rebounding in conference has not been good either (3.3 and 2.5 rpg respectively). Valpo (our bigs especially) have to do a better job cleaning up on the glass defensively and not give these better offensive teams 2nd chance points. Offensively, it seems like the last 4-5 games, we spend a good 3+ minutes at the beginning of the game so focused on taking 3 point shots, it puts us in a hole from the start. We need to keep feeding Derrick and our guards need to keep driving inside while we are slumping from outside. Hoping we get the W tonight. #GoValpo
BTW, welcome to the forum 777. Maybe your handle will bring us some luck tonight.
Thank you, no idea how I haven't joined til now, oh well, better late than never.

IndyEIT777

Quote from: FWalum on January 31, 2018, 04:25:45 PM
Quote from: IndyEIT777 on January 31, 2018, 03:17:58 PMThe two things that need to be emphasized these last 8 games are preventing offensive rebounds and not allowing easy layups. Neither Derrick or Jay have been good at altering shots at the hoop. Derrick and Jay's rebounding in conference has not been good either (3.3 and 2.5 rpg respectively). Valpo (our bigs especially) have to do a better job cleaning up on the glass defensively and not give these better offensive teams 2nd chance points.
I would have to say that the ONE thing that needs to change is rebounding.  I am really surprised that very little has been made about our tremendous lack of rebounding.  Many times we are playing with an undersized (except for the single 7' player) lineup.  On offense we have our bigs 25' feet from the basket setting screens and once we sub out McMillan we have an extremely small lineup on the floor.  Rebounding is killing us even worse than the poor shooting.
One of the reasons why I think there have been several easy layups scored by opponents is because our bigs have been playing out by the arc. In turn, I also think that leads to the low rebound production from our 5s. I get that some of these stretch 5s can shoot, but I'd rather have our centers in a better position to box out than softly defending a shooter.

wh

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on January 31, 2018, 06:50:39 PM
29 students

You still care about the students?  Then go on campus and figure that _______ out, I'm frankly tired of the drama.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 31, 2018, 06:57:34 PM
29 students

You still care about the students?  Then go on campus and figure that _______ out, I'm frankly tired of the drama.

Sorry, that was harsh...forgot to take my pills or something.

mj

Quote from: wh on January 31, 2018, 06:49:16 PM
There is no one here - 5 min.

29 students

Wow. That opening shot on ESPN3 was....crazy. The ARC is empty. Tell me again how this program isn't in trouble.

Is the library packed tonight? Bad weather? Where the hell is everyone?
I believe that we will win.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

9:39 left in the 1st.

Golder will be something special here at Valpo.

Linssen is being victimized by the refs.  Most contact on his "fouls" is initiated by the offensive player.

Linssen needs a year on the weights and weekly visits with a dietician.

Fantastic representation by our students, NOT.

VU2014

A good half but not a strong final 2 minutes for Valpo. This game shouldn't be as close as it is.

FieldGoodie05

Can we lead a coupe against Huseman to take a job elsewhere?  He's a bit much...

nkvu

Bradford's best half in a long time. And he hit a free throw!!!

Maybe that new point guard commitment has provided some additional motivation.

VU2014

Quote from: nkvu on January 31, 2018, 07:57:34 PM

nkvu

nkvu