• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #24 - Wednesday Jan 31 7pm ARC - Indiana State on ESPN3

Started by VU2014, January 29, 2018, 01:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nkvu

But finally, a few key shots, free throws, and DEFENSE wins it!!

vu72

Quote from: vu72 on January 31, 2018, 02:28:25 PM
Back to the game at hand.  Looking back at the first time we played them we lost by 9 but were within 6 with 48 seconds to go.  Tevonn missed 4 3 pointers in the last 1:17.  This was back when Parker Hazen was still starting.  He played 9 minutes, 0 rebounds, 0 points.  Linssen played 18 minutes, 2 points.  Derrik only played 7 minutes, 0 points.  They shot 55.6% from the 3 and we shot 32.0%.  They had 29 FT attempts we had 17.

My point is that our player playing times have changed a lot.   We are at home so hopefully less foul discrepancy. I think we have a shot at a win. Valpo 65-63

pretty close!   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUfan

strong defense strong defense and hard work  ;D there is hope!!!

oklahomamick

For all of Micah's struggles, he did well tonight.  As a team we had a lot of steals.

And max...he now has more dunks than smits and sorolla
CRUSADERS!!!

jloose128

IndyEIT777

Finally nice to see our centers contest some shots tonight. Not thrilled with how many layups and free throws we missed down the stretch, but in a season like this, can't complain too much after a win. Nicely done tonight Valpo, lets ride that momentum to Carbondale!

FWalum

Good win despite giving up 11 offensive rebounds and getting out rebounded 38-30. Let's get some momentum going by making it 2 in a row!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

talksalot

Quote from: IndyEIT777 on January 31, 2018, 09:27:58 PMlets ride that momentum to Carbondale

Sorry, We're riding Amtrak to Carbondale...for them, momentum can be overrated!

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bigmosmithfan1

M

I'm glad we won buuuuut....

How many dumb dumb passes did our veterans make? We nearly blew 3 (2 horrid Bradford passes and one Walker pass) fast breaks, Max coughed it up or threw it away a few times, and our strategy to foul them down the stretch would've made me pull out my hair except it really wasn't that shocking. I'm happy, mostly, with the defense and the diving on the floor.

Bet the trainers room is going to be busy the next couple of days.

M

That Golder 3 was the luckiest shot of the night. Flattests shot, better lucky then good once in a while though.

VUGrad1314

Ladies and gentleman, we may have just witnessed the game that will turn our season around. What you just saw was the kind of tough, grind it out, bring it every possession every night basketball for which this conference is known. This game was nip and tuck the whole way and could have turned at many points much like most MVC games, and we wouldn't let it. Easy buckets were in short supply and both teams worked hard to earn what they got. I think part of the problem we were experiencing this year was adjusting to the physicality and tough defense of the MVC. If tonight was any indication it is that we are learning what it takes to win in this league, how to score in this league (can't live solely on threes\jumpers and can't be afraid of contact especially since the officials are very willing to call fouls) and how to take an opponent's punches and counteract runs. We still need to shoot and rebound better; but if we play like we did tonight, we'll win our share of games and stay competitive in the MVC in future years . We have the right idea: hardworking defense first unselfish identity. Now just wait until the talent gets here. Go Valpo! Very encouraged by what I saw tonight.

VU2014

I'm reading the Indiana State forum thread right now and they think they got shafted by the officiating this game  :crazy:  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Clearly they haven't watched any Valpo Basketball games this season... Even if we lost in the final minutes of this game I thought it was a solid game by the officials and we had some ticky tack calls on us with one truly horrendous call on Bakari which was huge during the game because he was clearly our most effective scorer tonight and it put him in foul trouble. Just interesting to read the other side of things: https://www.sycamorepride.com/showthread.php?39292-January-31-2018-Indiana-State-(10-12)-vs-Valparaiso-(11-12)/page4

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on January 29, 2018, 07:22:12 PM
Indiana State  68
Valpo   63

Flourish at the end knocks down 16 point Sycamore lead to a 5 point loss at the end.

Almost got the score right and I was very glad it was flipped to Valpo's favour. Making FTs, Evelyn hitting shots and some of our non-scorers making contributions in the points column made a difference even though we got beat in other stat columns. Great to finally get a win!

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on January 31, 2018, 11:51:27 PMI thought it was a solid game by the officials and we had some ticky tack calls on us with one truly horrendous call on Bakari

I thought the refs were fairly inconsistent. Sometimes they called ticky tack fouls but other times they didn't and players on both teams got frustrated by their calls. When you notice the refs in a game that generally means they weren't great at the officiating.

From an administrator on the IN State message board:
My thing is I'm fine with however refs want to call it, but you damn well better call it consistently. When a hook is a hook on one end but not the other, that's a problem. I don't feel like Valley officials call it consistently the same on both ends. If they did, I'd have no issues.

bbtds

Interesting comment on the ISU message board about Indiana basketball:

Good for Valpo - hope your enjoying the Valley. Atleast St. Louis will be an almost All Indiana Thursday night - ya feel me!

Valpo
Eville
IState

Out here showing the world what Indiana basketball is all about.

Overrated. Let that sink in.

FieldGoodie05

I feel that the MVC refs are leaps and bounds better than HL.  This is a physical league, in the HL there were far more touch fouls called.  Yes Bakari got shafted and so did the ISU guard called for an offensive foul while driving on Smits.

But after watching a decade in the HL, I really like the ref aspect of the conference shift.  These guys seem less interested in making a spectacle of themselves and swallow the whistle WAY more!

Ghost calls happen, but so far not in quantity in the MVC.

elephtheria47

How about the wrinkle by Lottich to throw in a zone at the very end of the game after playing man the whole game? That's what I'm talking about! Great move! Lucky but nice to come out with a W.

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on February 01, 2018, 04:56:51 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on January 31, 2018, 11:51:27 PMI thought it was a solid game by the officials and we had some ticky tack calls on us with one truly horrendous call on Bakari

I thought the refs were fairly inconsistent. Sometimes they called ticky tack fouls but other times they didn't and players on both teams got frustrated by their calls. When you notice the refs in a game that generally means they weren't great at the officiating.

From an administrator on the IN State message board:
My thing is I'm fine with however refs want to call it, but you damn well better call it consistently. When a hook is a hook on one end but not the other, that's a problem. I don't feel like Valley officials call it consistently the same on both ends. If they did, I'd have no issues.

Agreed it wasn't the best officiated game but considering what we've seen this season this sadly was probably one of the best officiated games that Valpo has played in and I'm not just saying that because we won the games. Consistency is all you can really ask for and no doubt they weren't consistent all game for both teams.

VU2014

Quote from: elephtheria47 on February 01, 2018, 07:49:28 AM
How about the wrinkle by Lottich to throw in a zone at the very end of the game after playing man the whole game? That's what I'm talking about! Great move! Lucky but nice to come out with a W.

That was a savvy coaching move! Many have been so hard on Lottich the last few weeks. Need to admit that was a nice last second switch caught Lansing and Indiana State completely off guard.

M

We sent them to line 3 straight possessions (2 of those were and 1s) with under a minute to play.