• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #27 - Sunday Feb 11 3pm ARC - vs Illinois State on ESPNU

Started by VU2014, February 09, 2018, 12:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

Thought our zone offense adjustments were real nice. Good job coaches.

Also enjoyed the broadcast. They said a lot of nice things about Valpo both basketball and academically related.

VU2014

Quote from: M on February 11, 2018, 09:12:55 PM
Thought our zone offense adjustments were real nice. Good job coaches.

Also enjoyed the broadcast. They said a lot of nice things about Valpo both basketball and academically related.

Agreed. Also credit to ESPN for taking some nice B-roll shots of the Chapel and campus. Well produced game.

valpotx

We had a DFW viewing party for this game, and it was a fun one to pick.  We even had a Hazen sighting, so that might mean he is being held out to gain his confidence, and not because of some other reason.  I know that others bash Kiser, but I think that he is a good glue guy, and he is starting to hit some 3's, which will open others up.  He reminds me of a less athletic Matt Kenney.

I just wish that we could shoot the 3 like that every game! 
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

Not to take anything from the win, but it must be noted that Illinois State went absolutely cold in the second half. If they would have hit a few open shots, the outcome would have been different.

The forty+ Jackson Twp School choir members who sang the national anthem boosted the attendance considerably.  By the second half, the middle section of the upper bleachers had thinned considerably as parents and grandparents took their children home.
Beamin' Beacons

vu72

Quote from: humbleopinion on February 12, 2018, 05:40:55 AM
Not to take anything from the win, but it must be noted that Illinois State went absolutely cold in the second half. If they would have hit a few open shots, the outcome would have been different.

The forty+ Jackson Twp School choir members who sang the national anthem boosted the attendance considerably.  By the second half, the middle section of the upper bleachers had thinned considerably as parents and grandparents took their children home.

Sure glad that has never happened to us!   ::)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

SanityLost17

I woke up today wondering if this team has a chance to finish the year .500 or above?   I think most of us on the board would be happy with .500 considering. 

It would mean winning our last 2 home games, losing our last 2 road games, and then winning 2 games @ Arch Madness.  Or it would mean stealing a road win at Drake to end the regular season since I don't think we have a chance to beat Loyola.

Seems unlikely that we will reach the elusive .500 mark.  But when you are having a rough season it is a good goal for down the stretch. 

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on February 12, 2018, 02:20:14 AM
We had a DFW viewing party for this game, and it was a fun one to pick.  We even had a Hazen sighting, so that might mean he is being held out to gain his confidence, and not because of some other reason.  I know that others bash Kiser, but I think that he is a good glue guy, and he is starting to hit some 3's, which will open others up.  He reminds me of a less athletic Matt Kenney.

I just wish that we could shoot the 3 like that every game! 

It was cool seeing the crowd give a nice cheer for Parker. The community is behind him even if he's having a tough freshman season. As for Kiser he had a good game. I've been critical of his play this season. I agree he can be a good glue but key word is glue-guy. He needs play makers around him to make plays for him to shine and excel at doing the little things well. Bakari and Golder were making plays yesterday. Kiser needs to continue to evolve his game. If he could become a reliable 3 point shooter it could be a game changer.

Max Joseph also had a great game and did ton that didn't count in the box scores.

valpo84

Although appreciated the focus on Valpo's hoop tradition, and the breakdown of The Shot ( https://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/3/19/4119040/march-madness-valparaiso-ole-miss-buzzer-beater-history ), ESPNu broadcast yesterday was a little annoying on the point about not having beat ISU since 1945.  Seriously, and I understand it's Rivalry Week, but that is really scraping the bottom of the storyline barrel.  Valpo has played ISU 11 times total in 80 plus years. They were 3-8 going into the game (with the earlier season loss).  The teams hadn't played since 1980-81 season when Mo Smith was patrolling the lane and Johnny Mac was dribbling and dishing with perfect 1980 hair. 

That was actually a pretty good schedule, ND, UNI, Bradley, Evansville, ISU (home and home, lost both), Marquette, South Florida, Loyola).  Oh, and we beat Butler!!

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpo84

Separate point, hope Bruninga is doing ok.  Expected a little more discussion of Bruninga vs Hazen, especially after Bruninga hit a couple shots early. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

bbtds

Quote from: M on February 11, 2018, 07:26:28 PM
How about the free throw comparisons?

This is just my opinion and only an opinion.

I have got to believe that Paul's story about Valpo getting a much shorter end of the stick on FT attempts had to expose a point that the higher ups in the MVC weren't seeing. And whether it was consciously done or subconsciously done I believe the Oren story made a difference in the number of fouls called against Valpo and the number of fouls called on Illinois State.

VU2014

Quote from: valpo84 on February 12, 2018, 12:57:25 PM
Separate point, hope Bruninga is doing ok.  Expected a little more discussion of Bruninga vs Hazen, especially after Bruninga hit a couple shots early. 

If Parker was playing more I'm sure it would be a topic of discussion. It's not even a question who had the much more productive freshman year. Parker is more athletic but Bruninga is a much more polished product and is a pretty good shooter. I'm not willing to say Hazen was a mistake but he needs to show a lot more next season.

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on February 12, 2018, 12:57:35 PM

I have got to believe that Paul's story about Valpo getting a much shorter end of the stick on FT attempts had to expose a point that the higher ups in the MVC weren't seeing. And whether it was consciously done or subconsciously done I believe the Oren story made a difference in the number of fouls called against Valpo and the number of fouls called on Illinois State.

For nationally televised games you generally land pretty good refs. Correct me if I'm wrong but these weren't the regular MVC group of refs. A well officiated game yesterday.

justducky

Quote from: valpo84 on February 12, 2018, 12:57:25 PMExpected a little more discussion of Bruninga vs Hazen, especially after Bruninga hit a couple shots early. 
Were ISU at full strength Bruninga would have seen little or no floor time. Bigger picture, he would be playing more minutes for us than he now is for them. Cutting it even closer to the bone, while I believe Mileek still has the larger upside Taylor is today the better freshman forward. Did Matt make a mistake? Time will tell.
Quote from: bbtds on February 12, 2018, 12:57:35 PMI have got to believe that Paul's story about Valpo getting a much shorter end of the stick on FT attempts had to expose a point that the higher ups in the MVC weren't seeing. And whether it was consciously done or subconsciously done I believe the Oren story made a difference in the number of fouls called against Valpo and the number of fouls called on Illinois State.
We played good, clean, hard nosed defense. Did we have any charges called against us from mindless dribble attacks into their zone? Also because ISU played a small lineup we countered with 5 guards. With McMillan, Sorolla and Smits seeing greatly reduced minutes our slow reacting, clumsy foul numbers plummeted. One other observation was that our screen sets were all planted and legit. (Well Kiser did get away with one  :thumbsup:)

Valpo89

He reminds me of a less athletic Matt Kenney.
Kenney was an outstanding athlete - light years more athletic than Kiser. That was his whole game.
Other than being a white guy from central Indiana, not sure I get the comparison.

FWalum

Quote from: valpo84 on February 12, 2018, 12:57:25 PM
Did not see it at the game despite being very close, watched it on the ESPN3 replay with 4:10 to go in the game and when Tevonn rips the ball free he nails Bruniga with a brutal elbow to the face at which point Bruniga flops backward from a sitting position on to the floor.  Seriously doubt he can play in their next game unless he recovers quickly what definitely looked to be a concussion.

Bruniga and Hazen are completely different style of players. I think that Parker can shake off what has to be a disappointing season, but I believe he has the work ethic to do so.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

talksalot

Quote from: VU2014 on February 12, 2018, 01:06:47 PMCorrect me if I'm wrong but these weren't the regular MVC group of refs.

Mike Stuart (his second time in the ARC this year, last time he worked a Sunday game, he flew up after working the Notre Dame - Clemson Game, on his way to the Oklahoma-Kansas game.   

Jerry Pollard - works all over the area, been at the ARC a few times in recent past, does a lot of B10 games.

Bo Boroski - Has been working games at the ARC for probably the past 20 years... worked his way up the ranks.  His second game in the ARC this year... which was the first time we've had him at home for 2-3 years.  He works a ton of Big National Games... But he "Grew Up" in the ranks with the AMCU and Mid-Con days...

I think you'll find its a combination of MVC PLUS National TV that gets the experienced crews.

Here's a link to Mike Stuarts pictures...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mike+stuart+referee&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=iQfdZf3i94NfAM%253A%252CU01w5uMWlrNXDM%252C_&usg=__43es2gH-CsPr64GCtv3ZufWpPF8%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLw4f6o6HZAhUk9YMKHUThDAsQ9QEIKTAA#imgrc=iQfdZf3i94NfAM:

Here's a link to some of Bo's pictures and some happy coaches...

https://www.google.com/search?q=bo+boroski+referee&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=HlEiv7lZ8yl3nM%253A%252ChVEPlN2l6de_tM%252C_&usg=__E1JOjdriag1kbD57fPZ056p9ZT4%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjc59vPo6HZAhXn54MKHYQqCPcQ9QEIMTAB#imgrc=bHwhVIxDx2MHCM:

and Here's a link to Jerry Pollard's photos...(one of SIU coach Barry Hinson looking particularly happy)

https://www.google.com/search?q=gerry+pollard+referee&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=y-iItBZUgVXVXM%253A%252CE7S474AoAEMqMM%252C_&usg=__mK9ILs8Vd6YTVTfeoAzV3--cbdo%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-rLWOpKHZAhUl8IMKHSMSBh8Q9QEIMjAC#imgrc=y-iItBZUgVXVXM:

valpo64

It appeared obvious that Matt was not going to let this one get away...it was nice to see uss close it out in a big way.

a3uge

Quote from: VU2014 on February 12, 2018, 01:06:47 PM
Quote from: bbtds on February 12, 2018, 12:57:35 PM

For nationally televised games you generally land pretty good refs. Correct me if I'm wrong but these weren't the regular MVC group of refs. A well officiated game yesterday.
Aside from that egregious lane violation call on Sorrola. The one IL St player kept leaving early and got called for it once. Then he did it again so the refs decided to give it to Sorolla, who was on the opposite side! The only explanation for that one was that he got the wrong number and meant Kiser, but even so, the other player took off and mowed right into the back of Kiser.

Generally the refs let everyone play. I thought Valpo was the more aggressive team and did a great job of driving and drawing contact, even if they didn't call it often. Being able to nail threes really helped Valpo; finally the other team couldn't play zone the entire game.

valpotx

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 12, 2018, 02:39:45 PM
Kenney was an outstanding athlete - light years more athletic than Kiser. That was his whole game.
Other than being a white guy from central Indiana, not sure I get the comparison.

It is pretty simple, in that you never really noticed Kenney throughout much of the game, except at select opportunities.  This could be both good and bad, depending on the game.  He was not one to make extremely dumb passes, similar to Kiser, and he did the blue collar work in getting rebounds and staying on his man while playing D.  Look past the athleticism differences, and they are very similar...
"Don't mess with Texas"

bigmosmithfan1

Well, the 2nd most famous buzzer beater in school history doesn't happen without Kenney hitting a clutch, gotta-have-it three about 10 seconds earlier...

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on February 12, 2018, 05:22:39 PM
Quote from: Valpo89 on February 12, 2018, 02:39:45 PM

It is pretty simple, in that you never really noticed Kenney throughout much of the game, except at select opportunities.  This could be both good and bad, depending on the game.  He was not one to make extremely dumb passes, similar to Kiser, and he did the blue collar work in getting rebounds and staying on his man while playing D.  Look past the athleticism differences, and they are very similar...

Matt came in as a known, scouted, polished high school product. He could dribble well with either hand and had a nice looking shot release from anywhere he chose to shoot. On defense he could anticipate the lanes to be passed and the change of dribble directions. On the other hand John walked on with one Div 2 scholarship offer.

Is or was Matt the better athlete? Yes.  Was Matt light years more athletic? Sorry but no.

VU2014

The problem I have a hard time looking passed with Kiser is his lack of athleticism and size make him a liability with certain match ups. He's to slow to guard the 2 and against most 3s he can hold his own most of the time but we're forced to play him at 4 sometimes and he can be overmatched. He was good yesterday but I'm not a complete believer yet because is so limited offensively. He needs to develop a reliable 3 point jump shot this offseason and feel confident enough to pull the trigger to keep his defender honest. The Scouting report is out on him in this league.

valpotx

It is a smaller sample size, but he is a better 3 point shooter than Tevonn currently, and Tevonn's jump shot looks very fluid.  It doesn't have to be pretty, to be effective...
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

I'm more interested in how much better the team performed with Kiser in the lineup and Smits and Sorolla sitting on the bench.