• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #29 - Saturday Feb 17 8pm ARC - vs Bradley on NBCSports Chicago - HOF Night

Started by VU2014, February 15, 2018, 10:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

A GREAT WIN!!! If we can put together a full 40 minutes like we play in the 2nd half we could make some noise in Arch Madness!!

Markus Golder had a great 2nd half. Max did too and Jay on the defensive end.

vu72

As good a second half as we have played all year.  An the free throws?  25-28 after going 18-20!  Someone put something in the cool aid!!  Wonderful performance!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

Mileek scores too many points too quickly in the second half...I don't know.

It was nice to see one inbounds play work tonight in that Smits lay in.

I hate that Lottich appeared to be trying to apologize to Wardle for the Golder dunk.

Not sure if I'm upset that Bakari passed to Sorolla to intentionally not get the turnover on him in the book or if it's amusing.

Great second half by Golder and Bakari. Golder even scored moving to his left once!

Micah hit at least 4 free throws that I can remember. I want to say he hit a few last game too.

VUGrad1314

Things are looking up for this young team. My optimism is growing. We are still alive for the postseason. We may even get into the 8\9 game. Depending on the matchups we could make a deep run.

VUGrad1314

Seriously though What a second half! We must have shot something like 80%. Several plays had me jumping out of my seat. Evelyn and Golder were amazing. Max Smits Jay Mileek Bradford Kiser Tevonn all solid. Great rebounding tremendous defense. Wow! What a difference since that Evansville loss at home dropped us to 2-8. It's like a different team showed up! I believe!

talksalot

Shooting was 73.9% in the second half (17-23); 25-28 from the line for the game. 21-0 run (it was 60-56 Bradley at 6:25... then it was 77-60 with about 30 seconds to go.  That Evelyn 3 at the shot clock buzzer was HUGE.

If you're interested... Channel 201 Comcast in Valpo has the replay RIGHT NOW (started at 11pm)...

valpo64

A great effort in the second haLf...21 straight points to break it open...51 points in the second half!   and we made free throws!!!!!!!!   I hope our young team gets a big time boost after coming back tonight after they beat us by 9 at their place.  And wasn't it great to see the tech on Warddle...just like the old days in the HL!  I imagine he loves to come to the ARC     :)

wh

I wonder if Wardle flashed back to his slip-and-fall broken ankle when he stepped off the bus? Or, might he have relived Ryan's game winning 3 against his "prevent" defense?

From where we sit a few rows up from the visitor's bench, we had a bird's eye view of Wardle's antics. He hasn't changed a bit. Yells and screams at his players in the huddle. Told his very meek assistant to sit down and shut up. Insulted the refs several times throughout the game. Same old Class-A a$$hole.

nkvu

I thought Sorolla played great defense in the second half. Much more aggressive. Seems to me during the off season he and Smits should live in the weight room.  Maybe Sorolla can get his vertical into whole numbers instead of fractions. Smaller players have little problem backing Smits down and scoring over him. At the same time additional strength might help Smits finish when he does go to the basket.

Sorolla needs work on being more assertive on offense. When he gets the ball in the post or on the rare occasion he gets an offensive rebound he seems almost frantic to kick the ball out. Seems to me a 7 footer's first look should be to score if he gets the ball deep then kick if it's not there.

It also seems to me a 7 footer should have a bully attitude around the basket. Getting stronger can only help these two, particularly Smits. But a change in attitude is also necessary. The paint is your house. Take it as an insult if somebody comes into your house. And if you get the ball around the rim slam it!  And own every rebound. I don't see that yet but if they do the work in the off season, maybe they can get there.

We have a couple of naturally passive bigs. Smits attitude seems to be that he is a three in a five's body. I would bet that the player he would most like to emulate is Dirk Novitsky. Sorolla on the other hand seems to want to apologyse for being so big, so he kicks and tips rather than taking advantage of his size and establishing himself. In my experience I would always prefer toning down the aggressive guy to trying to get the passive guy to be more assertive. But that's why they pay the coaches the big bucks to solve these problems.

JBC1824

Tevonn had only two field goal attempts in the second half, and the offense looked as good as it has all season. He had only eight field goal attempts on the game, way less than his season average. I hope this becomes a trend.

Our offensive game planning should not start with Tevonn as a primary scoring option anymore. The days of him taking 15 or 16 shots a game should be over. The notion that he can be a primary scorer has to be completely retired after almost an entire season's worth of him attempting to be such and -- sorry to have say it -- failing miserably. I love Tevonn's determination and grit, but his shooting under 40% from the field and well under 30% from three means that he ought to be very judicious with his shot selection.

Bakari and Golder are our primary scorning options now. If we want to have a chance in Arch Madness, run the offense through them. For the most part, I also like the emphasis on trying to get Smits involved in producing offense.
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

VUSL98

The play inside for the reverse layup by Mileek and his ability to shoot the 3 make me very optimistic for his future and the team.  This team can play defense around the perimeter.  Now the offense is starting to find points.  Rebounding consistently and defense inside the paint will be key.

talksalot

Something that doesn't get old for me is introducing the Hall of Fame inductees at the game.    At the banquet on Saturday afternoon, Todd did a great interview with one  Amy Cramer, one of the greatest college soccer goal keepers of all time...

https://www.facebook.com/valpoathletics/videos/1569727433082968/

Valpo needs to bottle this interview and give it away to all of the prospective students.

valpopal

As others have noted, the second half was about as well played as possible: 74% field goal, 75% 3-point field goal, 92% free throw, 3 steals, 5 blocked shots, and despite virtually no opportunity for an offensive rebound because all the shots were going in the basket, out-rebounded Bradley 17-11. Congrats to the team! I wish we could bottle that performance.

The shot of energy certainly was welcomed, and the crowd noise seemed at last to reach near levels known in the past, especially when Bakari hit his long 3-point shot. Having said that, I have to be realistic and suggest the attendance again was disappointing. The official overall crowd number was just barely above 3,000 (3,021: down more than 300 from the Illinois State game last week), thanks in part to the good following of Bradley fans. Also, the student section was at least two-thirds empty. All credit to those in attendance and displaying enthusiasm! (And I don't want to hear the reason that some students sit elsewhere: that was true in the past as well.)

All season we have heard that the attendance, especially by students, would be there whenever a Saturday night game on television came along. Well, that does not seem true. The students who did not show missed a great game!

justducky

Quote from: nkvu on February 18, 2018, 01:20:14 AMI thought Sorolla played great defense in the second half. Much more aggressive.
His half court defensive coverages were executed at a dead run. I have never seen him cover so much ground so quickly. This is what he and Derrik must do for this team to play man to man which is the defense which best suits our overall team quickness and speed.

Now Derrik must match this half court defensive effort or watch the game from the end of the bench. If both of these guys can defend and rebound like forwards our center play in the MVC will become overpowering.

The light at the end of the tunnel is starting to glimmer.  :thumbsup:

valpo64

Are you still wondering about lack of support at our home games?  Maybe this will answer some questions regarding lack of attendance....THE NWI Times  had nothing LET ALONE GAMES NOTES OR WHATEVER...IT DIDN'T EVEN MENTION WE WERE PLAYING.  Then the Sunday edition, granted it was a late starting game, NOTHING!  NOTHING!  If one picked up a paper in Valpo on Saturday or Sunday you would not even know that Valpo had a men's basketball team, let alone a scheduled home game.

I think that stinks!  Purdue Northwest even had a short article telling how they were blown out by 40  at home againsgt Ashland.  Are you kidding me?  For those of you who read that paper, I wonder how much other news, sports or whatever, you are missing.  Come on Paul...what's going on?

I wonder what MLaB thinks about that.

Valpo89

Quote from: valpo64 on February 18, 2018, 06:00:58 PM
Are you still wondering about lack of support at our home games?  Maybe this will answer some questions regarding lack of attendance....THE NWI Times  had nothing LET ALONE GAMES NOTES OR WHATEVER...IT DIDN'T EVEN MENTION WE WERE PLAYING.  Then the Sunday edition, granted it was a late starting game, NOTHING!  NOTHING!  If one picked up a paper in Valpo on Saturday or Sunday you would not even know that Valpo had a men's basketball team, let alone a scheduled home game.

I think that stinks!  Purdue Northwest even had a short article telling how they were blown out by 40  at home againsgt Ashland.  Are you kidding me?  For those of you who read that paper, I wonder how much other news, sports or whatever, you are missing.  Come on Paul...what's going on?

I wonder what MLaB thinks about that.

You're correct. The sports department has been decimated by layoffs/firings/retirements. They don't replace people. There are only four full-timers that I know of to cover all of Lake and Porter counties.
In the mid-late 90s, we had five full-timers for Porter County alone.
They made a decision at some point this year to not even run game-day feature articles. And last night's 10:15 p.m. finish was past the print deadlines (that's a whole different discussion). Oren's story is online, and I would imagine they are running it in Monday's print edition.
In addition to a VU home game, there were many marquee high school events. State wrestling with four Porter County individual champions; two sectional swim meets; Duneland Athletic Conference gymnastics; Girls semistate basketball played at Valpo High School. That doesn't even count the numerous boys high school basketball games, including Valpo High's double-OT win at Concord that didn't get in the paper. Brandon Newman scored 45 points, the second highest individual game point total in school history - that didn't make it in today's print edition either.
Times, and The Times, have changed obviously. If you're under 40, you rely on electronic devices to obtain information. Print editions of newspapers are dying a slow death.

SanityLost17

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 17, 2018, 11:15:12 PM
Things are looking up for this young team. My optimism is growing. We are still alive for the postseason. We may even get into the 8\9 game. Depending on the matchups we could make a deep run.

We are no doubt playing better lately.  Only team I think we just can't beat no matter what on a neutral floor is Loyola.  I think they are simply out of pur league.  Everyone else we at least have a chance if shots are falling.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: nkvu on February 18, 2018, 01:20:14 AM
I thought Sorolla played great defense in the second half. Much more aggressive. Seems to me during the off season he and Smits should live in the weight room.  Maybe Sorolla can get his vertical into whole numbers instead of fractions. Smaller players have little problem backing Smits down and scoring over him. At the same time additional strength might help Smits finish when he does go to the basket.

Sorolla needs work on being more assertive on offense. When he gets the ball in the post or on the rare occasion he gets an offensive rebound he seems almost frantic to kick the ball out. Seems to me a 7 footer's first look should be to score if he gets the ball deep then kick if it's not there.

It also seems to me a 7 footer should have a bully attitude around the basket. Getting stronger can only help these two, particularly Smits. But a change in attitude is also necessary. The paint is your house. Take it as an insult if somebody comes into your house. And if you get the ball around the rim slam it!  And own every rebound. I don't see that yet but if they do the work in the off season, maybe they can get there.

We have a couple of naturally passive bigs. Smits attitude seems to be that he is a three in a five's body. I would bet that the player he would most like to emulate is Dirk Novitsky. Sorolla on the other hand seems to want to apologyse for being so big, so he kicks and tips rather than taking advantage of his size and establishing himself. In my experience I would always prefer toning down the aggressive guy to trying to get the passive guy to be more assertive. But that's why they pay the coaches the big bucks to solve these problems.

Smits has been in this program for 3-years, he ain't getting any stronger (physically).  He needs the round things to drop, and I'm not speaking of the basketball.

I think he is what he is at this point on the defensive end.  He went from fouling everyone last year and complaining about it, to hands up and backing away from contact this year.  I'd rather his defense be suspect than he get into foul trouble most games I suppose.