• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #30 - Tuesday Feb 20 8pm ARC - vs UNI on CBS Sports Network - Senior Night

Started by VU2014, February 19, 2018, 09:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

We have a 3 game home winning streak. Let's make it 4 and send Tevonn & Max off the right way!

M

What's your record this year on gameposts, gotta be the best of all of us!

These are two of the best basement dweller teams out there. Hope they can carry over what they did those last 25 minutes on Saturday and roll out a great final home game!

78-68 win!

covufan

Both these teams are capable of an upset or two in Arch Madness.

Good senior day matchup.

Valpo    77
UNI        65

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU2014

Quote from: M on February 19, 2018, 09:35:20 AM
What's your record this year on gameposts, gotta be the best of all of us!

haha not sure but I think I'm batting over .500 on the season.

VU2014

Aaron dropping some knowledge. Valpo's 2nd half runs have been impressive. If you remember in the UNI game at Cedar Falls, Valpo gave them a scare in the last 5 minutes. But most of the game was a blow out.

We need to start putting together a full 40 minute performances.

https://twitter.com/_amleavitt/status/965475900140683265

SanityLost17

I actually think we match up better with Southern Illinois than we do with Northern Iowa.   However, it is a home game.   

VUfan

crusadermoe

Yep, nothing's easy for this team.   But I think it speaks very well of Matt that his team never quit on him and he was accurate when he said they are working hard.  They deserve this late success and I think it will retain a couple guys who would have left.

Big holes in their defense and rebounding but I salute the hustle of Max, Tevonn, Bakari and Kiser is hard to beat.   We are also seeing Markus emerge as a thread and Sorolla toughening up.    Let's just stop there.  Kudos to the seniors!

In practical terms, tonight is the key game. In practical Arch Madness terms, 8 and 9 are the same.   #7 is likely out of reach since Indiana State has the Loyola win.  But every win is a confidence builder.

Paul G.

valpopal

VU2014

https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/965741521772400642

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=om07N5x2CGg

-Coach addresses why Mileek came out of the Loyola game after the quick start in the 2nd half. It sound like it was for defensive reasons.
-Also nice to hear Mileek is dominating at times in practice. Great to hear  :thumbsup:
-Talks about the positive steps our young guys are taking

bigmosmithfan1

vu72

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on February 19, 2018, 10:15:31 PM
We haven't beaten UNI in over 30 years. Time to end that streak.

Please. You are giving the announcers another lame comment as in what was the theme of the Illinois State game broadcast.  :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

When two last place teams are battling it out for 9th place you've gotta have something semi interesting to mention 10-11 times in a broadcast.

FWalum

At the end of last year I speculated that Tevonn would join a very elite club of 10 players in VU history that were in the top 20 in scoring and rebounding.  I looks like the bout with Mono will keep him just out of that group of special players, needing 34 more rebounds in our remaining games. He will, most likely, end up #15 in scoring and #8 in steals.  I have enjoyed immensely watching Tevonn play, he is so humble and unassuming, no chest bumps, no special handshakes, no whining when called for a foul, he just does things with intensity, effort and heart, giving as much on defense as he does on offense. Because of his humble and unassuming nature he may not have been the vocal leader this young team needed, but very few players have led by example on the floor as well as he has during his time at Valpo. 

I originally wondered whether Max would do much to contribute to VU basketball during his time here.  I didn't have very high expectations, but this last year has been a revelation and reminder of what hard work, perseverance, patience and maturity can do for a ball player.  Max has become a leader and solid contributor to this team. I truly admire his attitude and work ethic and I am sure they will serve him well in his future endeavors.

Here's to our seniors, I hope their time at Valpo has taught them to be productive and spirit led men with a servant's heart.  :cheers:
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

oklahomamick

Well said FWalum.  We are lucky to have both at Valpo.  I suspect that both were not heavily recruited but our coaching staff saw something in them.  I believe Jake Diebler was big in the recruiting contribution of Tevonn and Max.  If Lottich has similar success to Bryce and decides to leave, I think Diebler should be on the radar. 
CRUSADERS!!!

talksalot

Pre-game senior day Introductions start with 12:00 on the pre-game clock.  Post-game speeches by the seniors...

bigmosmithfan1

Our last win over UNI? Feb. 20, 1989. A 79-70 win at the ARC. The future Mid-Con was still known as the AMCU-8. It was Homer Drew's first season as head coach. UNI and VU would only be conference mates for two more seasons, as the Panthers would depart for the Valley, only to be reunited with VU there this year.

Valpo's only other win in the series? An OT win at Hilltop Gym in Jan. 1981 in Coach Tom Smith's first season. The Crusaders are still an 0-fer all-time in Cedar Falls, something we'll have to rectify next season.

sliman

I also agree with FWalum's comments and observations.  They've been a great pair.  Tevonn's defense was impressive from day one -- perhaps the best of any freshman in recent history -- and earned him immediate playing time as well as a reputation he never lost.  Let's hope the next Canadian has similar impact as these two did.

VU2014

I'm really hoping the students show up big tonight for Tevonn  and Max, as well as for the CBS Sports Network.

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/966048946387849218

VU2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 20, 2018, 09:49:20 AM
If Lottich has similar success to Bryce and decides to leave, I think Diebler should be on the radar. 

A little too early for this conversation but I'd agree it sounds Diebler is Head Coach bound one day. I think he, Coach Ragland, Coach Gore (if he doesn't have a HC job at another Uni by then), and Greg Tonagel needs to be seriously considered.

M

Whoever is next will already be on the staff...unless the entire staff were to be poached.

We've gone from questioning the guy to "promoting" the guy in the matter of two months!

VUGrad1314

It speaks resounding volumes that the team never quit on coach Lottich and the season despite all the adversity they faced. That's a credit both to the character of these young men and also to the coach.