• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #31 - Saturday Feb 24 2pm Knapp Center @ Drake on ESPN3 - Reg Season Finale

Started by VU2014, February 23, 2018, 04:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

valpolaw

Nice win. We seem to be playing much more confidently.

Bradford has been looking nice at the point.

nkvu

Thank goodness someone on the Drake side is dumber than we were. We leave Timmer totally unguarded for a three then they call a timeout they don't have. Incredible!

But finally, a road win, and our bigs played well.

hailcrusaders

Glad we eked out a win after trying so hard to blow it. Obviously this season has been a disappointment, but it's good to get some positive momentum going heading into St. Louis.

I don't think I like the 1-3-1 when we're trying to protect a lead late against a team with a 3 pt sharpshooter like Timmer. Too many openings outside the arc.

Was Drake the only team we swept? Odd  considering they've done pretty well this year. Guess we just match up well.
#CrusadersForever

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 24, 2018, 03:42:35 PM
Feeling for golder....very surprised he's been able to keep emotions in check.

Clean block = foul
50/50 play = charge
A touch foul
Then he gets a lose ball and they trip him = jump ball = drake possession

All in 3 minutes

Think it helps when it's the refs that are seemingly against him.  He's worse when an opponent trash talks, he doesn't keep it in check then as well.

VUGrad1314

We won a road game swept Drake, and  And went 5-5 against the top half of the Valley. I'd say that's an okay first year showing all things considered. Remember we lost 5 MVC gamesby 7 points or less. We really are right there and our arrow is pointing way up. Coach Lottich was right. Don't let the record fool you we're a tough and dangerous team. I just hope we make the postseason.

usc4valpo

I was at the game and that is a very happy Crusader team that spoiled Drake's senior day. I met President Heckler and Mark LB after the game and was extremely impressed.

usc4valpo

Also, Smits  offensively was great, although Drake's inside game was reallly lacking.

VULB#62

Glad I could tune in to the TV coverage.  Very nice win and kudos for holding it together in the end.  Our bigs are still pretty satisfied with just getting back on defense but not fighting for rebounding position once the shot goes up. Jay is more active than Derrik, but they both have to be more aggressive in establishing their territory after they drop back from a top of the key dbl-team. 

VUGrad1314

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 24, 2018, 05:04:22 PMI was at the game and that is a very happy Crusader team that spoiled Drake's senior day. I met President Heckler and Mark LB after the game and was extremely impressed.

Does this mean greater commitment to athletics and moving our programs forward is going to happen? President Heckler had to be impresed by what he saw.

VUGrad1314

I wish we'd run more screen and roll with the bigs. Get some easy buckets or some trips to the line.

a3uge

The refs really tried to will Drake to victory in the final 10 minutes. Some really brutal calls, like the clean Golder block, the Golder charge, the jump ball call, and then that out of bounds sequence with Sorolla, which the refs saw on replay, and THEN decided to call Valpo for a foul on a three in the same possession. Really embarrassing showing from the guys in stripes.

usc4valpo

One thing that was evident - Valpo has more raw talent than a Drake. but Reed Timber played his heart out in his last home game.

Also, Valpo should look at the Knapp Center as a great multi purpose facility for a similarly sized university. It an excellent place to watch basketball and the pep band is really good.

valpotx

Quote from: Pgmado on February 24, 2018, 03:24:55 PM
Quote from: bbtds on February 24, 2018, 08:52:47 AM
It should be remembered that President Heckler was a theater instructor when he taught in college. I imagine that he along with many other arts instructors/professors would get upset when funding was diverted from the arts to athletics as has happened in many college and university settings. I understand that there is an opposite point of view for every debate and that some of us need to look through the eyes of the opposite side of the debate.

Are we trying to change a university that has never had a history of much athletic spending?

I wanted to chime in that I was a theater major in college and was an actor for much of the first half of my life. My last competitive game of basketball was in 8th grade.

I can confirm that pgmado wasn't much of an athlete in college... :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

If we go at least 2-1 in Arch Madness (17-17 or better), do we think that we end up in the CBI or CIT?  I would take it in a heartbeat.  I have been hard on our guys this year, but the last 10 games have been pretty fun to watch, and they finally showed that they are improving.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 24, 2018, 05:06:14 PMAlso, Smits  offensively was great, although Drake's inside game was reallly lacking.

Jay also contributed. Together our center play produced 26 points, 13 rebounds, with only 2 turnovers, in 39 minutes of action. I hope this is some indication of what 2018-19 and 2019-20 could give us.   :thumbsup:

SanityLost17

Told you we would win this one.  I don't care what the conference record is.   We match up better with Drake than UNI.

vu72

Quote from: justducky on February 24, 2018, 08:02:31 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on February 24, 2018, 05:06:14 PMAlso, Smits  offensively was great, although Drake's inside game was reallly lacking.

Jay also contributed. Together our center play produced 26 points, 13 rebounds, with only 2 turnovers, in 39 minutes of action. I hope this is some indication of what 2018-19 and 2019-20 could give us.   :thumbsup:

Not be Debbie downer but...In our previous game, our centers produced 1 point, 4 rebounds, 9 fouls only 2 turnovers in only 27 minutes!!

So clearly there is consistency!!  Seriously, I do see the prospects for a very solid, not great, performance from our twin towers going forward.  Lots to look forward to!   :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

QuoteIs it just me or has Micah Bradford looked a lot better the past few games?

He has looked better. Making better decisions and not taking as many bad shots. He's a little more active with his hands with getting steals. The free throw shooting is MUCH improved. The jump shot still isn't falling though, but he's making up for it a little by driving to the hoop. He needs to figure out his jump shot in the offseason. If you're a 6′ 2″ 154 lbs guard you need to be able make a jump shots at a respectable clip. Overall it's nice to see some improvements and maturity from earlier in the season.

bigmosmithfan1

Was on the road today but just caught a replay... great victory today in a tough environment. Close a frustrating season on an up note. Go get at least one win at Arch Madness and then see where it goes.

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 24, 2018, 03:42:35 PM
Feeling for golder....very surprised he's been able to keep emotions in check.

Clean block = foul
50/50 play = charge
A touch foul
Then he gets a lose ball and they trip him = jump ball = drake possession

All in 3 minutes

After the call that set Golder off he ran at the Valpo bench and seemed to be pleading with the coaches that they should be backing him up. What kind of response was there from Lottich after that foul call on Golder?

vusupporter

Or, it was the typical 'guy runs to other end of court to avoid confrontation with officials after what he perceives to be a bad call'.

bbtds

Quote from: vusupporter on February 24, 2018, 11:51:14 PM
Or, it was the typical 'guy runs to other end of court to avoid confrontation with officials after what he perceives to be a bad call'.

Yet he was definitely making his point at the bench with his hands and mouth. I know he was frustrated but at some point a coach or asst coach must get in the officials face to back his players when calls like that are made. MVC officials or rather the officials from the Big 12 consortium have learned over this season that Valpo's coach (and asst coaches) just don't follow through and it's easier to make calls against Valpo. Proof is in the pudding. Bryce had some of the same problems until he got called for a tech about once a season. It's just the way the "game" is played in today's NCAA.