• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Loyola Elite Eight

Started by crusadermoe, March 24, 2018, 12:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusadermoe

Can't believe we don't have a separate thread that follows Loyola in specific.   

Vegas has them as 1 point dogs I believe vs. Kansas State.   It looks like Vegas has learned that their spread is two or less in either direction.  I have been telling my brother in law to pick them in each of the first three games after their performance in the prior one.  I will never lie and say I had them going to the Sweet 16 in my bracket.

With KSU's win over Kentucky I did it again.  Both teams are well coached.  Loyola players just have a special ability to execute and stay disciplined.  Can they dribble drive successfuly again?

justducky

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 24, 2018, 12:10:07 PMCan't believe we don't have a separate thread that follows Loyola in specific.   

I would have done that long ago but every time it gets tried one of the moderators will hide it in "Around The Valley" or worse yet "Sports Talk" where they die slow deaths from lack of sunlight.  :(.    Now exactly who is this Loyola team you are talking about and what do they have to do with VU basketball?  ::)

Just Sayin

Just grates me to hear people call Loy-ola Lie-ola.

VU2014

Quote from: justducky on March 24, 2018, 01:25:23 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on March 24, 2018, 12:10:07 PMCan't believe we don't have a separate thread that follows Loyola in specific.   

I would have done that long ago but every time it gets tried one of the moderators will hide it in "Around The Valley" or worse yet "Sports Talk" where they die slow deaths from lack of sunlight.  :(.    Now exactly who is this Loyola team you are talking about and what do they have to do with VU basketball?  ::)

Like the MVC Coaching Changes page: http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=3120.msg98144#new

There is a reason many people don't start topics in that Around The Valley section and it's because it doesn't get much traffic. Less traffic makes for less quality discussion.

VU2014

Kansas State is beatable. I'm glad Kansas State knocked Kentucky out with some red hot shooting. I'd be willing to bet if KSU played UK again it would be a different result. Kentucky's length and superior athletes would have been a bad matchup for Loyola.

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on March 24, 2018, 04:15:39 PMKentucky's length and superior athletes would have been a bad matchup for Loyola.
I totally agree. Kentucky might have blown Loyola out but I doubt KSU will be able to.
Quote from: VU2014 on March 24, 2018, 04:11:27 PMThere is a reason many people don't start topics in that Around The Valley section and it's because it doesn't get much traffic. Less traffic makes for less quality discussion.
Maybe if crusadermoe changed the title to Loyola Elite Eight Puts Money In Our Pockets then we could completely ignore the money part and talk at length and without worry about Loyola basketball.

covufan

I had Loyola going to the sweet sixteen, but never envisioned them making the Elite Eight, or a 15 point lead in the second half of the Regional Final.

Great for them (and u$)!

covufan

Quote from: covufan on March 24, 2018, 06:30:11 PM
I had Loyola going to the sweet sixteen, but never envisioned them making the Elite Eight, or a 15 point lead in the second half of the Regional Final.

Great for them (and u$)!

Edit: a 21 point lead with 13 minutes left!

VU2014

Congrats Loyola!!! Final 4!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on March 24, 2018, 07:39:16 PM
Congrats Loyola!!! Final 4!

They've now tied the mighty Wichita State for Final Four trips!

M

Time to update the thread title.

VUGrad1314

Pure class from Coach Musselman of Nevada. We should be thrilled and honored if we ever get a chance to play his team.

https://twitter.com/EricPMusselman/status/977702066075258880

VUGrad1314

VUGrad1314

Also ahem....

https://twitter.com/chrisfallica/status/977700803480883200

Attention NCAA Selection Committee:

STOP

DISRESPECTING

THIS

CONFERENCE

And all mid majors in general...

Thank you for your time, your consideration, and (hopefully) your cooperation.

Warmest regards,

College basketball fans everywhere.

covufan

Just imagine the bump in admission applications that Loyola will get after this run!  In the city of Chicago. 

VULB#62

LOYOLA FINAL FOUR

I can't change the actual topic (only Moe can do that) but I can add a subtitle  ;D

On a daily basis, I monitor the online versions of the following nationally recognized newspapers: Boston Globe, NY Times, Washington Post, USAToday. On every front page this morning the lead sports story prominently screamed LOYOLA CHICAGO.  This could be Valpo in a couple of years. The university administration needs to understand this NOW, and act proactively to make that a reality in the near future. It could do wonders in terms of applications, enrollment, alumni financial support, increases to the endowment, and on and on.

elephtheria47

First of all, congrats Loyola. Thought they had the ability to spring a few upsets...look at them go! What a ride!

This is exactly why they were selected to join the mvc the first time around. They were a sleeping giant but they were beginning to reinvest in their program. Chicago doesn't really have a #1 team and I'm not sure Loyola can be that,  but they certainly are Chicago's team for at least this month.  Before this weekend their bookstore sales were up 300%. The amount of press, number of applications, etc are going to be through the roof.  Hopefully Loyola can keep porter Moser after all of this (who is only something like 113-110 there...)

Hopefully the people in charge at valpo are watching. This is why i was so excited when valpo joined the valley. this is a very real possibility for mvc teams and hopefully this gets them to reinvest in our program too.

Just Sayin

Valpo could have done the same thing two years ago? LOL
No Valpo team has ever been as good as Loyola is this year. NEVER! Even in 98. If they were that good, they would have made it to the final four. No excuses.
Now Butler was that good, but not Valpo. Get real.

truth219

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 25, 2018, 08:20:23 AM
Valpo could have done the same thing two years ago? LOL
No Valpo team has ever been as good as Loyola is this year. NEVER! Even in 98. If they were that good, they would have made it to the final four. No excuses.
Now Butler was that good, but not Valpo. Get real.
thank you for saying this. we have a long way to go to ever get back to the ncaa tournament.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IrishDawg

Much like tournament bids, teams make the Final 4, conferences don't.  I'm not trying to dump cold water on this run, because Loyola certainly deserves to be here, and I would have bet on them to win their last 2 games (pretty sure they were favored when the lines opened for last night's game), but a tournament run doesn't validate or invalidate a season's worth of results, or mean anything on a larger scale other than a team playing well at the right time, even though the vast majority of people react this way.  What if Ingram had missed that last second 3 to beat Miami?  Does that mean that mid-majors should get less bids?  Does Syracuse getting to the Sweet 16 validate them getting into the tournament in the first place?  I'd say no to both.  That's the beauty and the awfulness of the tournament.  The "best" team doesn't always win.  UMBC beating Virginia doesn't mean they didn't deserve the #1 overall seed.  Just that on that particular night, UMBC couldn't miss, Virginia panicked, and it was over.

It'll be interesting to see how the Ramblers play against Michigan, because the two teams are more similar to one another than they are different, but at this point, they could beat anyone and it wouldn't surprise.

usc4valpo

What a tremendous performance by Loyola. Congrats as they go to the final 4 and I think they match well against Michigan, probably better than Florida State. This is great for Valpo in a financial matter, but my hope is that Valpo will improve and contribute in making the MVC conference great. Loyola's run is great for college basketball, the MVC, and college basketball in Chicagoland area which has truly underachieved in the past few decades.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 25, 2018, 09:18:13 AM
What a tremendous performance by Loyola. Congrats as they go to the final 4 and I think they match well against Michigan, probably better than Florida State. This is great for Valpo in a financial matter, but my hope is that Valpo will improve and contribute in making the MVC conference great. Loyola's run is great for college basketball, the MVC, and college basketball in Chicagoland area which has truly underachieved in the past few decades.

FSU could have been an absolute nightmare for Loyola (length and blocking prowess) for a team so reliant on Points in the Paint these last games.  Not to say they don't have shooters, because they do.  But wow, I'm amazed at the physical specimens FSU put on the floor.  Almost felt like the Oregon teams we played against during Alec's years.

usc4valpo

I agree, but it seems that Florida State does not any offensive flow. I was not impressed with their big men. also, I was surprised they let the clock run out with 11 seconds to go being down 4 - I have seen some crazy turnarounds with that much time left.

oklahomamick

Same Florida state program (not team) that came to the ARC and got beat up on? 

Same Loyola program (not team) that we used to crush on annual basis in the HL?

We are not where we used to be but we can get back. It's all cyclical.

(Although we were never as good as Loyola is at this moment in time)
CRUSADERS!!!

vu84v2

First, congratulations to Loyola. They have had great opportunities and have taken advantage of them. They have very good players, play together as a team and seem to have multiple leaders to solidify their team play. Furthermore, Moser has done a great job teaching team offense that can overcome teams with more talent.

Several people raised the question of whether Valpo has ever been this good. I would argue that in 1998 and 2016 they were as good as this Loyola team, just not as successful. There is a difference. Loyola has benefitted greatly from avoiding teams that could overwhelm them with both athleticism and talent. Loyola would seem to have a reasonable probability of beating Kentucky, Arizona, Cincinnati or Virginia - but it is pretty unlikely that they could win two or three games like that in a row. Either of those Valpo teams, faced with the opponents Loyola has, might have done the same thing. Of course, Loyola has taken advantage of every opportunity and been wildly successful.

We should also be reminded of the importance and loyalty in building a program. I did not know Moser's record at Loyola, but seeing that record indicates that Loyola is being rewarded for patience with someone who was taking time to develop something. We should probably all remember that when being critical of Coach Lottich.