• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Loyola Elite Eight

Started by crusadermoe, March 24, 2018, 12:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusadermoe

Great comments on realities of VU's best teams.   Loyola is more like the Butler teams (pre-Hayward) where they just outplayed and outworked and outpassed people.   They drew a 7 seed and a 9 seed to reach the Final Four.  Butler may have done that too had those seeds fallen to them.

I think Valpo has had some great players, but even the Grafs, Lubos team would break down and lose bad games.  Loyola doesn't do that as they are too solid and smart like Butler was.   

Just kudos to Loyola for now.   And kudos with vindication for the MVC taking a shot on winning in the Chicago market through Loyola.

Lets hope Valpo can build a rivalry against Loyola and ride a brief wave of MVC recognition for its four Illinois teams and Valpo.   

And.....you know my soapbox on adding SLU!   Maybe Loyola's national recognition and success as a midwest catholic urban school finally smacks them in the head with the wisdom of joining now. The A-10 sent St. Bonaventure.  Now there is a national brand!   

Ok, that's the conference adds thread.  Sorry.

usc4valpo

Vu84v2 - I totally disagree and please be careful of drinking too much brown and gold kool aid. This Loyola team has better overall shoring, distributes the ball beautifully in a textbook fashion and prepared very well. I know this is blasphemous to say here, but they are better coached than a Drew team. Sure they were very fortunate to avoid Kentucky, Virginia and Cincinnati, bur they beat the SEC regular season champion, the WAC champion, and ACC and big 12 teams.

VU2014

I can't speak for the 1998 team but I think 15-16 Valpo could have went on a similar type of tourney run had the seedings fallen in their favor the same way it has for Loyola this tourney run. The 17-18 Valpo team which tbh is one the worst Valpo teams in a while took Loyola down to the wire in their own building a few months ago and 15-16 team would absolutely obliterate the 17-18 Valpo team on almost any night.

In a hypothetical world it would be fun to watch the 15-16 Valpo team vs this Loyola team. It would be very competitive. Both squads are/were really good.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 25, 2018, 03:35:30 PM
Vu84v2 - I totally disagree and please be careful of drinking too much brown and gold kool aid. This Loyola team has better overall shoring, distributes the ball beautifully in a textbook fashion and prepared very well. I know this is blasphemous to say here, but they are better coached than a Drew team. Sure they were very fortunate to avoid Kentucky, Virginia and Cincinnati, bur they beat the SEC regular season champion, the WAC champion, and ACC and big 12 teams.

That is the analysis of a number of sport outlets.  YET, we lost by only 9 in our final game with them AT their house.  Granted, it wasn't the Dance, but being in the MVC has made our kids different players over the second half of the season.  It also had a impact on the way the coaching staff prepares our kids.  So...... I do not think Valpo will need 5 years to equal LUC in getting to the MVC championship.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 25, 2018, 04:03:11 PM
That is the analysis of a number of sport outlets.  YET, we lost by only 9 in our final game with them AT their house.  Granted, it wasn't the Dance, but being in the MVC has made our kids different players over the second half of the season.  It also had a impact on the way the coaching staff prepares our kids.  So...... I do not think Valpo will need 5 years to equal LUC in getting to the MVC championship.

It was a closer game then the final score indicated. Everything changed when Sorolla fouled out in the last few minutes of the game.

That Loyola game in their building is actually something the guys should be proud of. A loss is a loss but there were many positives to take away from that game. I'm pumped to play Loyola next year.

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 25, 2018, 04:03:11 PM

BUT our esteemed university has got to remove every obstacle that might hinder Matt and his staff from recruiting the best players while at the same time bringing in a new genneration of Valpo fans.  It comes down to an increased recruiting budget in conjunction with at least STARTING  to (and promoting) a study to renovate the ARC to bring it up to MVC standards.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 25, 2018, 04:11:56 PM
BUT our esteemed university has got to remove every obstacle that might hinder Matt and his staff from recruiting the best players while at the same time bringing in a new genneration of Valpo fans.  It comes down to an increased recruiting budget in conjunction with at least STARTING  to (and promoting) a study to renovate the ARC to bring it up to MVC standards.

President Heckler and the Board of Director's response:

VUGrad1314

NativeCheesehead

I've said it before. Words are wind. If there was to be a serious administrative push for upgrades in buildings and budget it would have happened by now. The only reason we even have a competitive recruiting budget is due to a donation. Mark and Matt are doing the best they can but the lack of follow through by the board and prez can be very irritating.

VULB#62

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 25, 2018, 04:33:32 PM
I've said it before. Words are wind. If there was to be a serious administrative push for upgrades in buildings and budget it would have happened by now. The only reason we even have a competitive recruiting budget is due to a donation. Mark and Matt are doing the best they can but the lack of follow through by the board and prez can be   is  very irritating.

I fixed it  for you.

usc4valpo

Valpo should look at the situation at DePaul and ensure that none of this is emulated.

Just Sayin

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 25, 2018, 01:40:45 PM
First, congratulations to Loyola. They have had great opportunities and have taken advantage of them. They have very good players, play together as a team and seem to have multiple leaders to solidify their team play. Furthermore, Moser has done a great job teaching team offense that can overcome teams with more talent.

Several people raised the question of whether Valpo has ever been this good. I would argue that in 1998 and 2016 they were as good as this Loyola team, just not as successful. There is a difference. Loyola has benefitted greatly from avoiding teams that could overwhelm them with both athleticism and talent. Loyola would seem to have a reasonable probability of beating Kentucky, Arizona, Cincinnati or Virginia - but it is pretty unlikely that they could win two or three games like that in a row. Either of those Valpo teams, faced with the opponents Loyola has, might have done the same thing. Of course, Loyola has taken advantage of every opportunity and been wildly successful.

We should also be reminded of the importance and loyalty in building a program. I did not know Moser's record at Loyola, but seeing that record indicates that Loyola is being rewarded for patience with someone who was taking time to develop something. We should probably all remember that when being critical of Coach Lottich.

Excuses excuses. Only if..... blah, blah, brown and gold.
The bottom line is that Valpo could not and did not make it to the final four. While they were very good, they don't come close to being as good as this Loyola team.

Results matter. Virginia arguably was the best team this year. But they couldn't get it done when it counted. That's part of being the better team, showing you know how to win. Like Butler who swept Valpo. Valpo was not the better team those two years in which Butler made it to the final game.

usc4valpo

If the 98 Valpo team beat the #8 seed Rhode Island, then the comparison in a remote perspective should be discussed. Loyola deserves enormous praise and respect - their performance against K-State yesterday was outstanding, and not in a Lou Holtz sense.

VU2014

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 25, 2018, 06:02:57 PM
If the 98 Valpo team beat the #8 seed Rhode Island, then the comparison in a remote perspective should be discussed. Loyola deserves enormous praise and respect - their performance against K-State yesterday was outstanding, and not in a Lou Holtz sense.

I don't think anyone is taking away from their performance. They are a really good team.

valpotx

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 25, 2018, 05:39:36 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on March 25, 2018, 01:40:45 PM
First, congratulations to Loyola. They have had great opportunities and have taken advantage of them. They have very good players, play together as a team and seem to have multiple leaders to solidify their team play. Furthermore, Moser has done a great job teaching team offense that can overcome teams with more talent.

Several people raised the question of whether Valpo has ever been this good. I would argue that in 1998 and 2016 they were as good as this Loyola team, just not as successful. There is a difference. Loyola has benefitted greatly from avoiding teams that could overwhelm them with both athleticism and talent. Loyola would seem to have a reasonable probability of beating Kentucky, Arizona, Cincinnati or Virginia - but it is pretty unlikely that they could win two or three games like that in a row. Either of those Valpo teams, faced with the opponents Loyola has, might have done the same thing. Of course, Loyola has taken advantage of every opportunity and been wildly successful.

We should also be reminded of the importance and loyalty in building a program. I did not know Moser's record at Loyola, but seeing that record indicates that Loyola is being rewarded for patience with someone who was taking time to develop something. We should probably all remember that when being critical of Coach Lottich.

Excuses excuses. Only if..... blah, blah, brown and gold.
The bottom line is that Valpo could not and did not make it to the final four. While they were very good, they don't come close to being as good as this Loyola team.

Results matter. Virginia arguably was the best team this year. But they couldn't get it done when it counted. That's part of being the better team, showing you know how to win. Like Butler who swept Valpo. Valpo was not the better team those two years in which Butler made it to the final game.

Uh, we beat Butler in OT during the second matchup at Valpo, specific to their 2nd title game run.  Does that mean our 2010-2011 team was better than our team 2 seasons ago, since they beat the national runner-up?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

I heard ESPN radio last night around the dinner hour.  The 2 guys talking said any mid-malor team getting to the Final Four is bad for college basketball in that it is embasrrassing to the NCAA.  They continued saying the Finals should only be for the Big time powers i.e. Duke.Kansas, etc. becuase usually the small schools get whipped in the Finals.  When someone asked about the Butler run of a few years ago they both agreed that that  event set college basketball back 50 years!!  Can you believe it?

nkvu

Quote from: valpo64 on March 25, 2018, 08:22:05 PM
I heard ESPN radio last night around the dinner hour.  The 2 guys talking said any mid-malor team getting to the Final Four is bad for college basketball in that it is embasrrassing to the NCAA.  They continued saying the Finals should only be for the Big time powers i.e. Duke.Kansas, etc. becuase usually the small schools get whipped in the Finals.  When someone asked about the Butler run of a few years ago they both agreed that that  event set college basketball back 50 years!!  Can you believe it?

The chance to see mid-majors pull off upsets is about the only reason I watch the tournament any more. I always pull for the underdog. Just not that exciting for me to watch the P5 teams only play each other. I have no connection to them. If they ever froze mid-majors out I suppose I would watch if any of the local school's teams were in it. Otherwise I would start to feel about it like I do about the nba. Not all that interested anymore.

VUGrad1314

Well then there's only one option...

Loyola needs to go to San Antonio... And win the whole (blanking) thing...

It's so sad that uninformed bull crap like that is allowed to drive the narrative in college sports...

Do you know what's embarrassing for the NCAA?  I'll tell you:

Allowing a system where athletes are allowed to take fake classes and then not punishing the schools that engage in this practice.

Allowing schools to become so brazen and emboldened that they would so thoroughly render farcical the notion of the amateur athlete as to repeatedly offer benefits both of an illegal and immoral nature and answering with the toothless punishment of vacating past seasons. How about the loss of employment and\or outright  banishment of the perpetrators or at least a postseason ban and scholarship reductions.

Repeatedly sweeping scandals under the rug to the degree that action by outside enforcement agencies became necessary

That it took until freaking 2019 for the NCAA to offer any kind of carrot or incentive  whatsoever for student athletes' academic success to reward schools who do things the right way and all the while the NCAA trumpets the ideal of the student athlete

Disproportionately punishing the less-powerful for far lesser infractions than those pardoned by the NCAA for the more-powerful.

And do you know who it is saving the NCAA at least for now from having to answer for these things? It's not Duke, nor is it Kansas, nor Michigan or Villanova. It's Sister Jean, Porter Moser, and the Loyola Ramblers. The very team from the very sort of conference you're trying so hard to squeeze out of big time college athletics.

I would strongly advise the NCAA to think long and hard about what they're doing and I would advise these so-called sports journalists to deeply examine the narratives they're pushing to the masses before they allow a broken system to become irreparable and forever ruin a game and an event that millions adore.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 25, 2018, 08:57:17 PM

Well then there's only one option...

Loyola needs to go to San Antonio... And win the whole (blanking) thing...

It's so sad that uninformed bull crap like that is allowed to drive the narrative in college sports...

Do you know what's embarrassing for the NCAA?  I'll tell you:

Allowing a system where athletes are allowed to take fake classes and then not punishing the schools that engage in this practice.

Allowing schools to become so brazen and emboldened that they would so thoroughly render farcical the notion of the amateur athlete as to repeatedly offer benefits both of an illegal and immoral nature and answering with the toothless punishment of vacating past seasons. How about the loss of employment and\or outright  banishment of the perpetrators or at least a postseason ban and scholarship reductions.

Repeatedly sweeping scandals under the rug to the degree that action by outside enforcement agencies became necessary

That it took until freaking 2019 for the NCAA to offer any kind of carrot or incentive  whatsoever for student athletes' academic success to reward schools who do things the right way and all the while the NCAA trumpets the ideal of the student athlete

Disproportionately punishing the less-powerful for far lesser infractions than those pardoned by the NCAA for the more-powerful.

And do you know who it is saving the NCAA at least for now from having to answer for these things? It's not Duke, nor is it Kansas, nor Michigan or Villanova. It's Sister Jean, Porter Moser, and the Loyola Ramblers. The very team from the very sort of conference you're trying so hard to squeeze out of big time college athletics.

I would strongly advise the NCAA to think long and hard about what they're doing and I would advise these so-called sports journalists to deeply examine the narratives they're pushing to the masses before they allow a broken system to become irreparable and forever ruin a game and an event that millions adore.

...$$$...They have it, we don't.

bbtds

Interesting tweet from Paul Biancardi, once Horizon League COY with Wright State--when Valpo was in the Mid-Con, asst with Porter Moser at SLU when Rick Majerus was head coach at SLU. He was very close to Porter and Rick at this time.

Random thought. If Loyola of Chicago, did not win their conference tournament they would not have been invited to the dance! At large teams should be invited at the end of the regular season. Levels out the playing field for the non-power conferences.

11:57 AM - 25 Mar 2018

https://twitter.com/PaulBiancardi/status/977952597670858752

Background on Biancardi if that stretches your memory:

Biancardi departs Wright State by 'mutual agreement'
Mar 14, 2006
Associated Press

FAIRBORN, Ohio -- Paul Biancardi stepped down as Wright
State's basketball coach Monday, three days after the NCAA barred
him from recruiting for violating rules when he was an assistant at Ohio State.

"Paul Biancardi will no longer be employed as head coach of
men's basketball at Wright State University," Wright State and
Biancardi said in a joint statement.

"As a result of the Ohio State University public infractions
report by the NCAA, Wright State University believes it is in
everyone's best interest for the coach to move on to other
opportunities."

A message seeking comment was left for Biancardi.

The NCAA found that Biancardi passed $6,000 from former Ohio
State coach Jim O'Brien to a recruit's family in 1999 and that both
coaches acted unethically by not reporting their conduct to the school.

In a ruling Friday, the NCAA prohibited Biancardi from
recruiting until Oct. 1, 2007, with the stipulation that if he did,
Wright State would face NCAA sanctions.

Biancardi, 43, was hired at Wright State in April 2003 and led
the Raiders to a 14-14 record in the Horizon League in his first
season. Wright State finished this season 13-15 and lost in the
first round of the conference tournament to Illinois-Chicago.

Wright State said a national search for a new coach will begin immediately.

Wright State was the first head coaching job for Biancardi. He
served as O'Brien's assistant for 13 years -- seven seasons at
Boston College and six at Ohio State, where he was the recruiting
coordinator. Biancardi also has held assistant coaching jobs at
Boston University, Suffolk and Salem State.

At Wright State, Biancardi replaced Ed Schilling, who was fired
after going 75-93 in six seasons with the Raiders.

VUGrad1314

Decent idea but how do you deal with anomalies in the conference tournament; or does this proposal do away with conference tournaments entirely?

bbtds

Ray Curren

For the 679th time.

Also believe that Loyola is now the first team in the modern era to make the Final Four that would not have received a bid if it weren't for an auto bid.

https://twitter.com/currenrr/status/977699715243479040

bbtds

Another interesting fact from Ray Curren:

More Ray Curren Retweeted John Templon
Michigan and Loyola both played (and won) its respective conference tournaments and then had 10 days off before the NCAAs for anyone who made that argument previously.

https://twitter.com/currenrr/status/977740898816622592

Just Sayin

QuoteUh, we beat Butler in OT during the second matchup at Valpo, specific to their 2nd title game run.  Does that mean our 2010-2011 team was better than our team 2 seasons ago, since they beat the national runner-up?

I never said that. Valpo couldn't make it to the final four or the national championship game. Most teams lose a game or two during the regular season before making it to the national championship game. Those were outlier wins by inferior teams.  Don't be silly.
Valpo couldn't get it done. Probably never will.

bbtds

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 26, 2018, 05:49:49 AM
QuoteUh, we beat Butler in OT during the second matchup at Valpo, specific to their 2nd title game run.  Does that mean our 2010-2011 team was better than our team 2 seasons ago, since they beat the national runner-up?

I never said that. Valpo couldn't make it to the final four or the national championship game. Most teams lose a game or two during the regular season before making it to the national championship game. Those were outlier wins by inferior teams.  Don't be silly.
Valpo couldn't get it done. Probably never will.

Why? Valpo had a better record than Loyola did in their first year in the Missouri Valley just a few short years ago. Why can Loyola (and Butler) get to the Final Four and Valpo never will? ? ?