• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2018-19

Started by VU2014, April 08, 2018, 06:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quote from: IrishDawg on May 25, 2018, 07:36:44 PM
It would only be good for Indiana's mids.  Forgetting the conference affiliations which would automatically prevent this tournament from happening, Purdue, Indiana, Butler and Notre Dame would not want to give up an exempt tournament in Maui, the Bahamas and other prime locales to play in a tournament where 60% of the competition is in a mid-major league and more than likely won't result in a quality win most years, and would come as a major negative recruiting tool for other programs to use while their peers are traveling to more desirable locations.  They also wouldn't want to play a mid-major at a neutral site when they can get similar level teams to play a buy game and collect 100% of the revenue from the contest.

IU already doesn't like the Crossroads that much because they want to play "national" games outside the state of Indiana, and generally brings the majority of the fans to BLF since Notre Dame brings about 12 people outside their team to the event each year.

Agreed. Mids would definitely benefit more from the expanded CRC. I don't see it happening but man would it be a fun though.

may know

IU wouldn't even take Calipari's offer of two games in Indianapolis because they only wanted a HvH with Kentucky.

VU2014

Quote from: may know on May 26, 2018, 12:54:28 AM
IU wouldn't even take Calipari's offer of two games in Indianapolis because they only wanted a HvH with Kentucky.

That's completely understandable. It's surprising they won't take a H-&-H. Maybe they only want to take that series when they think they have a chance to be competitive but that should be a continuous series.

VU2014

NativeCheesehead

Well at least we know Jay isn't getting any money on the side since he apparently can't afford a dress shirt.

FieldGoodie05

I predict that's not the last time we see KC Hankton.  SLU has (3) SF in this freshmen class alone.  Their offers are vast and it appears to be a "what have you done for me know" system.

IndyValpo

Listening to the Steve Helm Union Street Hoops podcast, he mentioned Patrick Robinson who I think was a Detroit transfer as a scout team player last year.  Is he still around?  He was never listed on the roster though he is in the team picture.

VU2014

In Michael Osipoff's article in the Post-Tribune he talked with Coach Lottich about Coach Dildy's departure from the staff. A very interesting quote. "I'm not surprised Northwestern saw that. Like us, they want to get into Chicago, and I don't know anyone in the business better than Emanuel. So there's definitely a void."

He expands upon that a bit more. http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-spt-mens-basketball-valparaiso-eron-gordon-notes-st-0613-story.html

It could be a sign that he's look for an assistant who has strong ties to the CPL and Chicagoland recruiting market. I think that would be a wise decision. I'm curious when they might fill the position. Hopefully we land another homerun hire.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on June 13, 2018, 04:21:59 PM
In Michael Osipoff's article in the Post-Tribune he talked with Coach Lottich about Coach Dildy's departure from the staff. A very interesting quote. "I'm not surprised Northwestern saw that. Like us, they want to get into Chicago, and I don't know anyone in the business better than Emanuel. So there's definitely a void."

He expands upon that a bit more. http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-spt-mens-basketball-valparaiso-eron-gordon-notes-st-0613-story.html

It could be a sign that he's look for an assistant who has strong ties to the CPL and Chicagoland recruiting market. I think that would be a wise decision. I'm curious when they might fill the position. Hopefully we land another homerun hire.

How about JFL's HS coach Tyrone Slaughter?  Great coach and mentor, similar values, his teams are all about "family," and he's better connected in Chicago than Jon Costas is in Valpo. He was also national coach of the year in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjFZOhufvmI

VU2014

One potentially interesting name for the assistant coaching position opening is Rob Holloway. He he's currently on the Eastern Illinois Staff and he has Chicago recruiting connections.

VU2014

A nice little interview with Daniel Sackey during the Biosteel Tourney. He mentions he chose Valpo because of the communication off the court with Coach Gore and building a strong relationship. It just goes to show how important assistant coaches and program culture is.

https://twitter.com/ATH_UNF/status/1009194484075253760

valpopal

Looking to hear some news soon. For recruits to be signed or transfer, there isn't much time if the coaches want players to get an early start on accumulating credits and to play together in the ARC. Only 10 days until the weekend when team members would arrive on campus to begin the second summer semester for which classes start July 2.

VUGrad1314

Do you know of anything brewing Valpopal?

Also we've still yet to name an assistant to replace coach Dildy is that right?

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on June 25, 2018, 10:35:41 AM
https://twitter.com/CollegeHoopNews/status/1011256386519490561

From the start, I thought that, if the kid could get his game together and comtol his emotions, he could be a force.  I love his enthusiasm.  He has this year and next to be that.  I'm in his corner and rooting for him.

VULB#62

Here's two minutes of Marcus' dunks and highlights.  Just a little something to get juiced up about for the coming season.

[tweet]1010328575021584385[/tweet]

VU2014

Coach Lottich's MVC teleconference call from yesterday.

https://soundcloud.com/mvcsports/matt-lottich-valparaiso-4

vu72

Good to hear the coach and some of the things he said about Jevon.  The more I think about it the more I am convinced that our team will be very deep and should make a run at a title.  Matt always plays his cards very close to the vest.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

I have no clue if the Coach Lottich has anyone in mind for the Director of Basketball Operations position yet, but Bo Patton would be a absolute home run hire for the job, imo. Would love to see him on the Coaching Staff at VU. I'm just throwing his name out there. He's a Region guy.

M

Insert gif of a guy nodding and clapping....

Would be a home run hire.

VU2014