• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

High Point vs Valpo, Dec. 4 at 7 p.m.

Started by valpopal, December 02, 2018, 09:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSWIM08-12

No focus, no offense. TERRIBLE LOSS. Great play for Fazekas towards the end, where is that all game???????????????????????????????????, bad coaching and terrible shot selection by Bakari. ugggh 2 steps forward, 1.99 back! On to GW.

EddieCabot

Quote from: nkvu on December 04, 2018, 09:03:41 PM
Well......a lucky shot banks in in a game where we shot like crap and didn't deserve to win but had a chance at the end.

Moving on.

Agree ... stinks when you lose a game because of one lucky shot.   >:(

VUGrad1314

Pathetic. Inexcusably pathetic. We have absolutely SUCKED from 3 point range ALL FREAKING YEAR and we're jacking up 20+ attempts? What happened to Smits in the offense? Did he even score in the second half? Maybe we should stop complaining about the weak schedules It's clear this team can't handle even this. I don't know if it's a player problem or a coaching problem but it seems to happen EVERY FREAKING TIME we play somebody we should beat in the Lottich era. If we tank in MVC play again we might have some serious questions to answer this offseason. Games like this really make you question whether we have the right leader.

EddieCabot

Did McMillan even play?  I wonder if he's hurt?  He must be, because just a few weeks ago, the radio guy was singing his praises on the USH podcast.   And if I know anything, I know that radio guy knows hoops.

valpotx

This is the type of game that just makes you want to stop watching Valpo basketball, but I always keep on watching.  Seriously, how can we shoot 3/23 from 3?  The vast majority were well short, clanging off the front of the rim.  For as highly rated of a team we have in regards to recruiting rankings, I can't see many of our prior teams playing this poorly against a bad team.
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

Btw, Ball State just knocked off Notre Dame on a contested 3 at the buzzer.

We better figure some stuff out before we play them.

VUGrad1314

At this rate we'd better be concerned about potentially getting beaten by PNW let alone Ball State and A&M 

hailcrusaders

Quote from: nkvu on December 04, 2018, 09:17:33 PMBtw, Ball State just knocked off Notre Dame on a contested 3 at the buzzer. We better figure some stuff out before we play them.
...where are you seeing this?
#CrusadersForever

tiny707

Tired legs tonight. Kiser and McMillan need some minutes.

VUGrad1314

And on top of that forces on campus are chipping away at the campus culture and our identity for no good reason. I wonder if this anti-Crusader  crap is affecting the team.

valpopal

Quote from: hailcrusaders on December 04, 2018, 08:17:35 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on December 04, 2018, 07:58:46 PMBy the way the big and little Crusaders are gone. Deemed not PC.
The blow up ones in the corner of the ARC? Or the mascot? And is that the official explanation?

I can't speak about what happened to the blow-up Crusader in the corner, but I do know the mascot person was sick this week; however, I'm not sure why we don't have an understudy to sub when needed.

VUSWIM08-12

Quote from: hailcrusaders on December 04, 2018, 09:23:45 PM
Quote from: nkvu on December 04, 2018, 09:17:33 PMBtw, Ball State just knocked off Notre Dame on a contested 3 at the buzzer. We better figure some stuff out before we play them.
Yeah that's not accurate at all, that's from last yr, ND lost to Oklahoma by 5 tonight, research before you post...

VUSWIM08-12

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 04, 2018, 09:22:51 PMAt this rate we'd better be concerned about potentially getting beaten by PNW let alone Ball State and A&M
No need to overreact, yes a bad loss, but we'll never lose to Purdue NW.

nkvu

Quote from: hailcrusaders on December 04, 2018, 09:23:45 PM

Fox sports feed on Apple News.

Fox and/or Apple wouldn't post "fake news" would they?

Oh yes I guess they would.

Never mind.

valpopal

Quote from: nkvu on December 04, 2018, 07:50:24 PM
Looks like some students showed up for the game. Would be nice some of our offense would too, in addition to Smits.
In our section the main question in the second half was why Smits was sitting so long. He dominated the first half, but only played 9 minutes in the second half.

VUGrad1314

Just a reminder that we are 12-21 since that smoke and mirrors 8-0 start last year. Conference move or not that is abysmal. We are still under .500 since Alec graduated. That's not acceptable. Some may call me a spoiled fan for saying that but I prefer to believe that my expectations were appropriately raised by the Broekhoff/Peters/Bryce era and that those expectations are NOT being met.

VUBBFan

Quote from: valpopal on December 04, 2018, 09:28:13 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on December 04, 2018, 07:58:46 PMBy the way the big and little Crusaders are gone. Deemed not PC.
The blow up ones in the corner of the ARC? Or the mascot? And is that the official explanation?
I can't speak about what happened to the blow-up Crusader in the corner, but I do know the mascot person was sick this week; however, I'm not sure why we don't have an understudy to sub when needed.

I spoke to a faculty member at the game that was rather happy the Crusader was gone and said some of the faculty had finally got some alumni to join them in getting rid of the offense mascot. Then I noticed that the dance team has new uniforms that now say Valpo instead of Crusaderetts.  Seems they are going under the radar hoping no one notices the change.

valpopal

Quote from: VUBBFan on December 04, 2018, 09:38:39 PM

Quote from: valpopal on December 04, 2018, 09:28:13 PM

I spoke to a faculty member at the game that was rather happy the Crusader was gone and said some of the faculty had finally got some alumni to join them in getting rid of the offense mascot. Then I noticed that the dance team has new uniforms that now say Valpo instead of Crusaderetts.  They are going under the radar hoping no one notices the change.

There was supposed to be an event in the Chapel earlier this semester, and it was switched to another location. When I asked why, a faculty member told me it was felt that "the Chapel is not a welcoming place."  :crazy:

NativeCheesehead

I'll be honest. I prefer we keep the crusader but it really doesn't matter what you call us if we keep playing like garbage. One battle at a time.

VUBBFan

If the Crusader is really gone the next thing will be all the other offensive things like Crosses, Christian scriptures and the like all over the campus. Those are all unwelcoming objects to non-Christians attending a so called "Christian School".

hailcrusaders

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 04, 2018, 09:50:20 PMI'll be honest. I prefer we keep the crusader but it really doesn't matter what you call us if we keep playing like garbage. One battle at a time.
Don't mean to start a conspiracy theory here, but it's a lot easier to clandestinely phase out a mascot/nickname when the team is having a down year. Or maybe it's just coincidence.
#CrusadersForever

VU2010

I'm not overly concerned about the loss. Last year, I started getting super fired up about things. Had very high expectations. Smoke and mirrors 8 game winning streak didn't help matters. Since then, I've accepted that things are different. I've accepted that the administration isn't concerned about the things we've expressed here. Pass out free shirts and pizza... still can't get the student section full. Bleachers are virtually empty in the upper section. Season ticket holders - like myself - overpaid for tickets. Why? Because they're now publicizing 1/2 off ticket prices. So, I paid the same amount for my bleacher season tickets as those who will get chairbacks? Makes sense. The season ticket holder night was an embarrassment. Barry fed us. Fire alarm was going off uncontrollably. Barely practiced. Will not ever go back.

It's just different. Same crappy T-shirts thrown out. Same lame games here and there during timeouts. It is what it is. Same crappy arena. I like the team. As a graduate, I'll still be attending. I'll always remain optimistic. I left tonight completely unaffected by the loss.

On the one hand, that's a good thing because I - as a spectator - shouldn't lose sleep over a game. On the other hand, it's a learned helplessness of sorts. Accepted mediocrity.

I feel like a Cleveland browns fan. Always holding out for some sense of hope. Much like tonight as we gave up a lead to a lesser team ... in our home court. A glimmer of hope on the made 3 by Ryan. Only to be let down by the last defensive possession. Left with .8 seconds ... to throw up a shot ... that was oh too short. Yes, I was there when Broekoff made the game-winning 3. It was fun. It was special. Maybe those days return. Not sure.

But will always be tough with such a short bench. Mileek was a starter ... highly-touted for his offseason training ... and now struggles to get playing time. No Kiser tonight. Micah is mia. We all awaited Juame's return. And, are still awaiting in many respects. They're kids. No fault to them. They're trying. Coaches are good guys. Nobody to blame. It's what we - as donors and fans - have proven our willingness to support. If we're going to get rid of the Crusader, let's get rid of brown. Brown isn't an athletic color - let's be honest. Valpo Pandas? Why not...

VUGrad1314

This University is billed as "an international LUTHERAN University" CRUSADERS is the SECOND WORD in the fight song The University is considered a place "Where Athens meets  Jerusalem" I'm sure that description is offensive to many as well. Students are REQUIRED to take Theology courses What's next? Phasing that out? Shouldn't the faculty have started there? Isn't that far more offensive than the team name? This name has been a part of the University for what? 80? 100 years? The name Crusaders doesn't even have to be taken in its potentially offensive meaning. A Crusader is someone who fights for advocates for or stands for something. One can be a Crusader for truth or justice or for the downtrodden. The mascot is just a knight anyway who again didn't always fight for Christianity. There are no religious symbols on it. It's not racist like Chief Wahoo or an epithet like Washington DC's professional football team. This feels like faculty and students who don't have enough work to do and are making a mountain of offense out of a molehill. Looking for outrage where there is none.

VUBBFan

Quote from: VU2010 on December 04, 2018, 10:10:17 PMBut will always be tough with such a short bench. Mileek was a starter ... highly-touted for his offseason training ... and now struggles to get playing time. No Kiser tonight. Micah is mia. We all awaited Juame's return. And, are still awaiting in many respects. They're kids. No fault to them. They're trying. Coaches are good guys. Nobody to blame. It's what we - as donors and fans - have proven our willingness to support. If we're going to get rid of the Crusader, let's get rid of brown. Brown isn't an athletic color - let's be honest. Valpo Pandas? Why not...

I think Koala Bears is the leading mascot name (Paul Oren)

oklahomamick

I only saw a couple set plays that free up our three point shooter.  The one that Fazekas hit to tie the game with 20 seconds left.

Alec was a good three point shooter.....but he also got a lot of wide open looks!!!!  Thanks coach.

Coming from Oklahoma, Kevin Durant had a lot of three pointers in OKC....but when he went to Golden State, the shots became easier.
CRUSADERS!!!