• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Should Lottich keep his job?

Started by NativeCheesehead, March 19, 2019, 03:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

We're all thinking it so we might as well start a thread.

AlecPeters101

Uhhhh let me think about it real quick and get back to you.

no

VUGrad1314

NO! Go away Matt! And don't touch anything else on your way out lest you ruin it too! It might take a decade to recover from just two years of his "coaching."  We have disgraced ourselves. We have disgraced the MVC and unlike Loyola we have no plan to get better. They could have had Murray State and been close to their goal of being a multibid league. I feel bad for the MVC. We only got in because we're private and we have done nothing but embarrass the conference. I am sorry on behalf of Valpo MVC.

GoldenCrusader87

Man .... what a day. And to think there could be more like it coming. We've gotta prove we care about this program. We have to. If he can't even win his own players back ... come on. MLB needs to do something quick.

GoldenCrusader87

I too feel for the mvc. We suck. Absolutely suck. At this rate, I'm out as a tenured season ticket holder. No thanks. Not going to support this disaster.

EddieCabot

I'd hope that the AD is getting feedback from the players leaving to better understand the underlying cause.  I'm not making any judgments until I see what the roster looks like next Fall.

mj

Can't win games. Can't keep his players. Shouldn't keep his job.
I believe that we will win.

NativeCheesehead

Here's what I think:

While it's easy to state this today, after a bad year and an emotional day. (who would have thought the worst day of the season for VuMBB would be after they were done playing?)

It's time for a change.

You can't let him go into next year as a lame duck. It will kill the recruiting and a miss on this summer's class will cripple the program for years. And you think the crowds at the ARC are getting bad? What happens in Feb 2020 when we're 10-17? Might be able to go back to not opening the mezzanine.

I don't know MLB that well but I think he only has two options. Fire Lottich or give him a contract extension. I know the second is laughable right now but after three years you know what you have. If he still truly believes Lottich is the guy then back it up. Of course the downside of that is if he's wrong he likely isn't around to hire the next guy.

Otherwise you make the change. I doubt we have a Drake like turnaround in us, but maybe MoST? We still have some talent and a fiery young assistant getting out on the trail this summer could have us middle of the pack next year and poised to make the jump in 2021.

Make the wrong decision here and we'll be on this board in 2023 still wondering if we can become relevant in this league, still playing on Thursday night in St Louis, and still playing in the same s***ty high school caliber gym.

For better or worse, one way or another, it's time for decisive action.

truth219

I don't see why he would keep his job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

NativeCheesehead

Why would he keep his job? Because this same AD gave Tracy Dorow a contract extension.

Just Sayin

Men's basketball program is progressing very nicely.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 19, 2019, 04:58:47 PMWhy would he keep his job? Because this same AD gave Tracy Dorow a contract extension.

If he extends Lottich he can go too. Indefensible. Lottich has shown nothing to indicate that he can lead our flagship sport.

JD24

I suspect more and possibly much more at work with the transfers which make replacing the coach only potentially solving a part of the problem and also potentially not solving anything.

justducky

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 19, 2019, 03:51:04 PMNO! Go away Matt! And don't touch anything else on your way out lest you ruin it too! It might take a decade to recover from just two years of his "coaching."

Lets be clear about what just happened. Our players just delivered a "no confidence" vote for ML and the future of VU basketball.   :'( 

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 19, 2019, 04:02:33 PMYou can't let him go into next year as a lame duck. It will kill the recruiting and a miss on this summer's class will cripple the program for years.

I can't even begin to define success for the 19-20 season and Matt shouldn't define it either. We need a clean break with a clean start.

oklahomamick

Losing sucks, but the way we did it....What was our style?  Middle school's run more set plays.  Lottich should be out and whoever he hired as well.
CRUSADERS!!!

SanityLost17

If and when Lottich loses his job Coach  Gore and company have to go as well.  I know every one likes Gore but he is a coach with lots of experience who is on this staff.  That means he is partly responsible.  No way he was not consulted on a daily basis on how to right the ship.  If the program is in disarray your most experienced assistant needs to go too.  Sorry guys. 

GoldenCrusader87

Sanity - it's a fair comment. Sad to say but fair.

M

I just can't see VU firing him and having to pay 2 head coach salaries for the next year.

NativeCheesehead

That's true. The people who would have to green light a 250k buyout are the same who won't spend any money to upgrade the sound system.

AlecPeters101

Unfortunately this will be the case. He'll be here at least another year. If he gets an extension I'm done.

truth219

Valpo could be at an all time low next season

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

oklahomamick

Gore is a great guy.  Fans and players like him.  However, Bryce's staff was good at hiding Gore. 

Last time we hire a coach, it went like this.

1.  1st call to Powell, denied
2.  2nd call to Gore, he didn't want it either.
3.  3rd call to Lottich, absolutely.  This is the only place I will get a head coaching job with only 3 years of 6th assistant on my resume.

This time we hire a coach.
1.  Call Powell again, don't know the outcome
2.  Call Ron Hunter, he loves dancing, in the tournament and on the sideline - very different and probably wouldn't fly with our "old" ways of doing things.  I mean steady and reserve and don't reinvest in the product.
3.  Call Diebler

CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

VUGrad1314

So we're going to pinch pennies instead of doing what's best for the program... That tells me everything I need to know... We are not committed to winning at the MVC level and we won't be for quite some times. Thanks for the past quarter century I'll try to remember how great it was when we're playing our 12th straight Thursday game in St Louis 10 years from now... Sigh... We could have been\could still be something if our leadership gave a rip about basketball but I guess that's too much to ask...

usc4valpo

This situation cannot be ignored. Someone at Valpo needs to address this.