• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Should Lottich keep his job?

Started by NativeCheesehead, March 19, 2019, 03:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SanityLost17

He's going to get a chance to finish out his contract.   I firmly believe if next year goes poorly he will be fired.  Everyone just needs to get themselves there emotionally because that is the way it isgoing to be. 

Only question is what will it take next year for him....to....
1.  Avoid being fired
2. Start to change fan base opinion of him.

I would actually love an xs and os guy which I don't think Lottich is.   But that said I do think he has had a lot of bad luck in his 1st 3 years and saying he solely ruined the program Is hyperbolic.   So many things have been outside of his control and to a certain extant transfers fit that bill as well although not all transfers are created equal.   JFL and his family want him at a P6 school and in the big dance.   That is the #1 reason he is leaving.  Smits improved here despite being the epitome of a spoiled rich kid.   Lavender was terrible every place he played until arriving here and literally filling the stat sheet.   Bakari was much improved here compared to Nebraska before his latest surgery.  Fazekas was starting to be a stud before injury.  I dunno.

So maybe we should fire him after next year.  Maybe not.   I wouldn't be opposed to giving up and starting over but part of me is curious what the guy can do with 2-3 years of relatively healthy players and no academic issues in which success isn't constantly interrupted forcing confidence to wane and more kids to transfer due to poor moral. 

bbtds

Quote from: valpolaw on March 19, 2019, 10:11:17 PMOr maybe we give Lottich one more year and then when he underperforms again we can replace him with Bryce after Vandy shows him the door.

Never, ever, going to happen.

valpolaw

Why do you say it will never happen? Do you have inside insight or just saying that based on what you know?

I know it's a pipe dream, but at this point, Lottich and Bryce have the odds against them for lasting after next year.

NativeCheesehead

If Belmont and Murray State join the MVC they'll make us play on Wednesday night in St Louis.

M

Be careful or Paul will do a podcast on your post.

oklahomamick

Lottich should have hired the Donny Bosco Coach former almuni.  Would have kept Skara and had a good coach and recruiter on staff.  I bet Lottich was intimidated by him.  I promise we would be in a better situation than we are now.     
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

I woke up feeling hungover this morning and I didn't even drink last night.

mj

The reason why the public is aware of Valpo is due to their basketball program. The reputation of that program was one of the few assets the university had that could sell on nationwide level. And now we're in danger of throwing that all away.

This goes beyond the W-L record of the past few years. There something wrong with this program. And there's a danger that things will become toxic.

On paper, Valpo was set to compete next year. Barring injuries (and other unforeseen events), I think we could have made a splash. It seemed like the guys on our team got along well. This team wasn't made up of selfish, prima donnas.

Yet 3 players, so far, have decided to leave. Leave the place they know for some unknown destination. Leave their friends and teammates and start over again. In a choice of Valpo versus something else, it appears that anything else is better.

That doesn't happen when you have a healthy program. Maybe the turnover in assistant coaches should have been a warning sign. Maybe the fall off in student attendance should have tipped us off that all was not well.

There's only one person responsible for this program. Matt Lottich. He has not been a good steward of the program. He needs to be held accountable.

I believe that we will win.

valpospartan

[/quote]

Why should any of us care? We are now all Belmont, Murray and Bradley fans.  :thewave:
[/quote]

Not ALL of us.

Just Sayin

Quote from: mj on March 20, 2019, 08:10:24 AM
The reason why the public is aware of Valpo is due to their basketball program. The reputation of that program was one of the few assets the university had that could sell on nationwide level. And now we're in danger of throwing that all away.

This goes beyond the W-L record of the past few years. There something wrong with this program. And there's a danger that things will become toxic.

On paper, Valpo was set to compete next year. Barring injuries (and other unforeseen events), I think we could have made a splash. It seemed like the guys on our team got along well. This team wasn't made up of selfish, prima donnas.

Yet 3 players, so far, have decided to leave. Leave the place they know for some unknown destination. Leave their friends and teammates and start over again. In a choice of Valpo versus something else, it appears that anything else is better.

That doesn't happen when you have a healthy program. Maybe the turnover in assistant coaches should have been a warning sign. Maybe the fall off in student attendance should have tipped us off that all was not well.

There's only one person responsible for this program. Matt Lottich. He has not been a good steward of the program. He needs to be held accountable.

Matt Lottich is not a good coach. Expecting him to do much more than he was unable to do for three years is the definition of insanity. It's time to cut bait, take your losses and right the ship - without Matt. Keeping him only to find out that he will perform no differently from his performance thus far will damage the Valpo brand, which is hanging in the balance now. What will the AD do when next year's team has a horrible, losing season (very likely)? And if VU is lucky enough to get good recruits who, after a terrible season of confusion and losing come to the same conclusion about the coach and the program as the three who just left us did, the permanent damage to the program will have been done. Game over. Valpo back to mediocrity for a long time. Valpo will become the Chicago State of the MVC.

But heck, "with how many players seek new teams each year, no transfers surprise me."

usc4valpo

Basketball is certainly the flagship sport at Valpo, and this situation needs to be handled with urgency. Valpo has been very conservative and overly patient in making decisions. They kept Carlson for 4 years when 3 was more than enough. They kept Dorow longer than they should. Also, the university needs to quit believing the Bryce Drew shot will keep them alive. I am very concerned as this program may revert to the Tom Smith era, and that is not good.

NativeCheesehead

I'll be honest. Sucking next year doesn't scare me, that's probably where we're headed.

What really scares me is a .500 or slightly above .500 season. I think that would earn ML an extension and that would truly torpedo the program.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteLottich should have hired the Donny Bosco Coach former almuni.  Would have kept Skara and had a good coach and recruiter on staff.  I bet Lottich was intimidated by him.  I promise we would be in a better situation than we are now.

No. A million times no. You don't let h.s. "coaches," player's relatives, or slimy street agents dictate your university's coaching hires. You can't. Once you've opened that pandora's box, it's over. Although Skara leaving hurt, you simply don't outsource hiring decisions like this to people not involved with the program and who are only looking out for their personal gain. Not now, not ever. This is one of the few decisions Lottich made that I back 100%. That would have been a shortcut that would have led to MAJOR problems for us somewhere down the road.

JD24

Quote from: mj on March 20, 2019, 08:10:24 AMThere something wrong with this program. And there's a danger that things will become toxic.
Absolutely true.
There's only one person responsible for this program. Matt Lottich. 
Absolute nonsense.

EddieCabot

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on March 20, 2019, 10:27:07 AM
QuoteLottich should have hired the Donny Bosco Coach former almuni.  Would have kept Skara and had a good coach and recruiter on staff.  I bet Lottich was intimidated by him.  I promise we would be in a better situation than we are now.

No. A million times no. You don't let h.s. "coaches," player's relatives, or slimy street agents dictate your university's coaching hires. You can't. Once you've opened that pandora's box, it's over. Although Skara leaving hurt, you simply don't outsource hiring decisions like this to people not involved with the program and who are only looking out for their personal gain. Not now, not ever. This is one of the few decisions Lottich made that I back 100%. That would have been a shortcut that would have led to MAJOR problems for us somewhere down the road.

How did Skara even end up at Valpo to begin with?   ???

usc4valpo

Lottich has issues but the situation is bigger than him. Valpo needs to open the checkbook for our flagship program.

GoldenCrusader87

You hear of private (sometimes public) donors at schools who pay off existing contracts or negotiate the deals in situations just like we're in. Make it easier on the university to make the right decision. He needs fired. Plain and simple. Not next year. THIS year. But, we don't have the donors to make that decision easier for the university to justify. If I had the finances, I'd pick up the phone and call MLB. I'd say: "Who do I write the check to and what's today's date?"

But, alas, I don't. So, I'm just another fan who can only express my concern through a message board and hope to commiserate with you all. Misery loves company.

MLB - to my knowledge - doesn't read any of this or care what we think. And Matt has made it very clear he doesn't look at any of this. The man must live in a cave. Idk what else to say. A cave built in a way designed to separate him from reality.

The only reason existing players are staying - I'd assume - is because of the reasons mentioned: not wanting to lose their scholarships, relationships, significant others, degree pathways, etc. understandable.

valpo64

With the general , very negative comments some of you are making regarding our program, staff,  A D , suggesting that some of our current players and potential recruits perhaps should re- think their commitment to VU, etc. you sure are not helping Valparaiso University, it's MBB program, Athletic Dept leadership and University Administration to meet future challenges and problems that  currently exist, especially in light of our move to the MVC.  While we may not all agree, some of us better realize that MLaB, ML and other University officials carefully watch what they say in public realizing that damaging, poorly worded statements can be very damaging to the School and it's programs.  It is about time some of the comments from people posting on this board should do the same so those few don't become part of the problem.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions!

NativeCheesehead

Understand what you're saying 64, but this is a fan message board for fans to blow off some steam. I'm as guilty as anyone at getting worked up but most schools would kill for the level of passion MVC fans show for their schools, even if it's not always expressed as well as it could be.

This is one of the downsides of having a smaller school whose fans come from everywhere to attend Valpo, then go back to everywhere to continue our lives, leaving Valpo itself with a small number of alums and this message board as one of the few places to come together.

If we were Illinois State grads we could just call off our night shifts at Chipotle and meet down at the bar.

mj

Quote from: valpo64 on March 20, 2019, 12:43:41 PMWith the general , very negative comments some of you are making regarding our program, staff,  A D , suggesting that some of our current players and potential recruits perhaps should re- think their commitment to VU, etc. you sure are not helping Valparaiso University, it's MBB program, Athletic Dept leadership and University Administration to meet future challenges and problems that  currently exist, especially in light of our move to the MVC.  While we may not all agree, some of us better realize that MLaB, ML and other University officials carefully watch what they say in public realizing that damaging, poorly worded statements can be very damaging to the School and it's programs.  It is about time some of the comments from people posting on this board should do the same so those few don't become part of the problem.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions!

Come on. This is ridiculous. I'm not going to pretend that all is well with dear old Valpo, when the evidence suggests otherwise.

I'd like to hear the case for keeping Lottich around. The accusations against him have been said many times. Let's get the rebuttal.
I believe that we will win.

FWalum

There are some really reasonable and reasoned people on this forum.  It just seems that these days the whack-jobs are drowning them out.

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

oklahomamick

64.......Get in touch with reality...  Lottich is not the guy.  The quicker we move the better and quicker the recovery.  Thank goodness you are not charge.  Lottich and the AD would be around until 2040 with one winning season. 

When there are problems, come up with solutions and move forward.  Don't make excuses and don't be slow.  That's how Valpo got into this mess.   
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on March 20, 2019, 12:28:40 PM
MLB - to my knowledge - doesn't read any of this or care what we think. And Matt has made it very clear he doesn't look at any of this. The man must live in a cave. Idk what else to say. A cave built in a way designed to separate him from reality.

Don't be so sure. He does, as do many of the administration E.g., Brandon's posts in football and numerous informative posts by ml2 while he was on staff and even now while working at Ohio State. But MLB will  hardly ever get involved in a board arguement. Believe me, he knows exactly what is happening in these strings. Just don't expect him to get into a pissing contest with fans and alums.

JD24

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on March 20, 2019, 12:28:40 PMMLB - to my knowledge - doesn't read any of this or care what we think. 
I believe he an occasional poster on this board. I recall the discussion on how to improve things on campus a few years ago(?).

vu72

Quote from: mj on March 20, 2019, 01:48:30 PMI'd like to hear the case for keeping Lottich around. The accusations against him have been said many times. Let's get the rebuttal.

OK, I'll give it a go.  I haven't seen so many physical (Alec, Tevonn, Fazekas etc.)issues affecting results for prior coaches, Bryce or Homer.  I don't recall an academic scandal/issues for either Bryce or Homer (Jubril, Burton) but issues aside, look at the results from the last three seasons: 24-9. 15-17 and 15-18.  That's a three year record of 54-44.  Did such a streak of two years in a row of a losing record ever befall Homer?  No, I'm not talking about his first few years.  I'm talking about well after the '98 run to the Sweet Sixteen.  Let's look at his final SEVEN years as head coach:  04-05: 15-16, 05-06: 17-12 06-07: 16-15 07-08: 22-14  08-09: 9-22  09-10:15-17  10-11:23-12   So, from 04-05 to 06-07, his record was 48-43.  From 08-09 to 10-11, his record was 47-51  and for the entire seven year period,his record was 117-108.  The stuff legends are made of.

Is Matt a good coach?  I will rely on former coaches like fwalum for such assessments.  Does his record over a three year period equate to a firing?  If so Mark should have wrung up Homer, or was he relying on success from 10 years earlier when he went 9-22 in 08-09?  I certainly don't recall any of the stuff happening that has happened to Matt nor was Homer operating in an environment where a 1000 D1 kids are transferring every year.  Instant gratification sometimes takes time and Matt certainly deserves to have another year or to complete his contract before we hang him in effigy.  I rest my case.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015