• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Homer Drew

Started by tiny707, April 02, 2019, 12:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

Congrats on Hall of Fame!

valpo84

Congrats to Coach!!

One quick story (I have a "few") about why he was different from the previous coach from his very first days and why he deserves these accolades.  Looking at the schedule, Valpo was going to play at Xavier (great team even then in the old MCC).  I called the athletics office and asked to speak to Coach.  He actually took the call from a young alumni inquiring as to whether we could host a reception with the players and alumni/friends/families when the team came to Cincinnati.  His response was immediately "how can I help."  We discussed whether it was better to have it pre- or post-game. We agreed on post-game, and we had an alumni outing with more than 50 people from Cincy-Dayton area at the game and then  with Coaches and players afterward.  Coach spoke to the group in the old Cincinnati Gardens (which served beer by the way).  There were many alumni who became big hoops supporters after that event.   
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

crusadermoe

Great story.  And good work '84!

valpotx

Well deserved and a class act.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

I've searched all over trying to find a good video of the Homer! Homer! Homer! chant the students used to do for this occasion but I can't find one... So my congratulations to him on this well deserved honor are going to have to suffice. Congratulations Homer and thank you for your years of loyal service building this program! We owe literally everything we have to you!