• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 7 vs Cincinatti Bearcats @Paradise Jam 4:45pm CST 11/25/2019

Started by VUSWIM08-12, November 25, 2019, 12:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

govalpogo

As much as it sucks to be on the losing end of this one, I am encouraged by the effort and performance of the team after yesterday. 

wh

FieldGoodie05

JD24

Valpo's has only a few guys with size. One is hurt. Another is sick. A third played 15 mins and the final guy is a cement leg.

So getting beat inside should not only be expected at this juncture but be pretty easy to see why it's happening. That is unless one expects a 6'5" former walk-on who's game is certainly not one which features the ability to leap to defend inside or a freshman Guard to move inside and play underneath defensively.

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 25, 2019, 09:12:55 PM
Quote from: wh on November 25, 2019, 08:47:02 PM
I love this team and everyone on it.

So you like the play of our front court?

No, but that's not where I'm coming from. What I see is a band of brothers who play for each other over themselves, never take a possession off, and refuse to quit no matter how bleak the situation. Case in point, look at Eron Gordon. Here's a guy who's minutes to date have been fairly limited, yet he comes off the bench at a crucial point and plays like a man possessed to get us back in the game. In 21 minutes he was 3-3 FG, 1-1 3PT FG, 2-2 FT, 3 steals and 2 rebounds. Are you kidding me?  That's what heart and character are all about. The fact that he's a talented basketball player doesn't hurt either. :) 

So, yeah, I love this team.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on November 25, 2019, 07:18:42 PMToo bad Sackey and Kiser are no threats on the offensive side,

I think you're a little behind the times here. Both Sackey and Kiser have been two of our better scorers this season. Check the stats.

Kiser 7.4 ppg, Sackey 8.9 ppg

bbtds

Quote from: govalpogo on November 25, 2019, 08:44:14 PM
As much as it sucks to be on the losing end of this one, I am encouraged by the effort and performance of the team after yesterday. 

I agree with the sentiment here but why did Bowling Green win in OT and Valpo lose in OT?

vu84v2

I certainly would have liked Valpo to have won the Cincinnati game, but Valpo came back from 12 down in the second half against a team that should be in the top 3 or 4 in the American conference. This is a developing team that seems to put forth a lot of effort. There are encouraging signs with this team and they should be fun to watch as the season progresses.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu84v2 on November 26, 2019, 08:51:54 AM
I certainly would have liked Valpo to have won the Cincinnati game, but Valpo came back from 12 down in the second half against a team that should be in the top 3 or 4 in the American conference. This is a developing team that seems to put forth a lot of effort. There are encouraging signs with this team and they should be fun to watch as the season progresses.

Guys, we were leading a healthy chunk of the game by multiple possessions.  The fact that we went down by 12 was a direct results of layups and dunks (unacceptable).  I think if more of us had a chance to see the live feed/replay you would be as frustrated as me possibly.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on November 25, 2019, 10:31:43 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 25, 2019, 09:12:55 PM
Quote from: wh on November 25, 2019, 08:47:02 PM
I love this team and everyone on it.

So you like the play of our front court?

No, but that's not where I'm coming from. What I see is a band of brothers who play for each other over themselves, never take a possession off, and refuse to quit no matter how bleak the situation. Case in point, look at Eron Gordon. Here's a guy who's minutes to date have been fairly limited, yet he comes off the bench at a crucial point and plays like a man possessed to get us back in the game. In 21 minutes he was 3-3 FG, 1-1 3PT FG, 2-2 FT, 3 steals and 2 rebounds. Are you kidding me?  That's what heart and character are all about. The fact that he's a talented basketball player doesn't hurt either. :) 

So, yeah, I love this team.

I certainly can respect that, we just need to lessen the layups and dunks because that is just lack of situational awareness and boxing out.  All other things equal we are as one dimensional as last years team (just with better attitudes).  Maybe we can get out of the half court offense funk and possibly get up to 35-37% as a team from deep.  That can all be developed, but layups and dunks are maddening.  Especially because they were mostly with us trailing the guy rather than getting backed down.  Because we lack "weight" in the front court I can see us getting backed down, just not allowing them to cut and layup or put-back with ease.

IrishDawg

There's a lot to like about this group. Next year Valpo should be really, really good, especially if they're able to develop their bigs.

NativeCheesehead

Not interested in next year. If the last couple of seasons have taught us anything it should be that we have no idea what the roster looks like next year.

crusadermoe

I love the team too, wh.     I couldn't watch but followed the gamecast. 

In some years we would go up 34-30 or stay close at the half like last night and then get buried  fast in and early in half #2.    When Cinci caught us and went up 12 points I turned off my phone.  I thought I was getting my hopes up again in vain that we can play even with a Cincinatti.

Then I logged into ESPN again really late and saw us tied in the high 70s.   Wow.    Very impressed with their two late game comebacks vs. SLU and Cincinatti. They were outmanned, but kept coming!!   If there was ever a morale victory it was an OT loss to Cincinnati playing the guys we have on our front line.

valpo64

I also like this team and its hustle, team work, etc.  However the lack of offense form Kiser and Sackey was well exemplified in the Cincy game.  Kiser played 30 minutes and hit only 2 of 5 shots for 7 points, 2 rebounds and  gave up many points on defense if I heard Todd"s calls correctly on the broadcast.  Granted, like his hard work but there still is a big lack of offense and being a threat to score.  Sackey's numbers:  37 minutes, 1 for 12 from the field including 0 for 4 on 3-pt shots and totaled 6 points.  Sorry, but that is not cutting it on the offensive side of the ball.  I realize that he had 5 assists and plays hard defensively, but as far as being a threat to put the ball in the bucket, sorry these 2 guys are not getting it done.  Hopefully some of the other guys will continue to score and pick up the slack.  If and when Fazekas returns should be a big help in front court offense.  Ben K's return should help also.

Just Sayin

I've always thought that the coach, during crunch time at the end of the game, should give the green light for shooting only to a small number of shooters who have the best chance of making a basket and to red-light shooters like Sackey, especially since he wasn't making any baskets the entire game.  Perhaps some coaches give the green light to anyone if they have a good look.  Or perhaps the coach thinks someone will pout if they get a red light. But you want set plays for your two or three best shooters.  Why Sackey was allowed to take a shot with under a minute (IIRC) is a mystery to me. Or if there is a shooter who is hot, put him in the mix or as an option if shooters one and two aren't open.